Thread: Savage 10 FCP-SR 24" 6.5CM Accurate Mag DBM install questions???

Savage 10 FCP-SR 24" 6.5CM Accurate Mag DBM install questions???

Purchased a new production Savage 10 FCP-SR 24" barrel 6.5CM with the accustock top bolt release. I want to install the Accurate Mag DBM and use Magpul AICS mags since that's what I already use for another rifle I have. The AM site says it's a direct replacement drop in. I know there's been a few different accustocks over the years. Has anyone done this upgrade yet? Honestly the rifle is on it's way to me now and I already ordered the DBM so I'm just trying to find out the ins and outs from someone that's already done this. Thanks for all of the help!

I did it on a 308 FCP-K like 5 years ago and I had to open up the aluminum channel of the accustock so the AM DBM would fit. Not to mention the re-seller of the DMB sent the wrong spacing one. He sent me 4.25" instead of 4.4" so I had to get crafty in a drill press to mill the extra bit.

I'm not sure about the newer accustocks and the new production AM aics DBM. Chances are pretty good it will fit straight in, but not guaranteed.

Hope someone else chimes in with their more recent experience.

First thing you will want to do is check to make sure your mags fit it. I ordered one from AM and not one of the three Magpul mag's I had would fit into it. Seems the Magpul mags can vary a bit.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

I want to do the same thing with my Savage 10 FCP SR ... Can you please update us on how things work?

Is this what you bought?

SAVAGE SHORT ACTION BOTTOM METAL KIT

The Accurate-Mag bottom metal kit is Savages OEM premier direct drop in bottom metal kit that uses Accurate-Mag magazines. Designed and built by engineers at Accurate-Mag, it is built from 6061-T6 and anodized for a flat black finish. The bottom metals are designed for Accu-Stock rifles or can be inletted for a savage rifle stock. These bottom metal kits are only for rifles with bolt release mechanisms built into the rifle, not in the trigger guard.
    The Accurate-Mag bottom metal kit
    is Savages OEM premier direct drop in
    bottom metal kit that usesAccurate-Mag magazines.

Kit Includes:
    Magazine Well Assembly – includes magazine well machined, latch, spring & pin.
    Trigger Guard

Item Cartridge Capacity Length
    01200-0006-03 .308WIN 5 3.050
    01200-0006-07 .300WSM 3 3.050
    01200-0006-04 .308WIN 10 3.050
    01200-0006-05 .300WSM 7 3.050
    Thank You
    Wayne

Yes that's what I bought Wayne. If you get the DBM without a magazine it's $146 shipped. We'll see if the Magpul mags fit in the AN DBM. The gun will be to me on Monday and the DBM will be here Wednesday. I will definitely keep this thread updated as I've had a heck of a time getting a solid answer to my questions and I'd be glad to provide them to someone else. I have 3-10 roundand 1-5 round Magpul AICS mags to try in the DBM so I think that will be a good cross section to test.

Quote Originally Posted by mustang-cars View Post
    Yes that's what I bought Wayne. If you get the DBM without a magazine it's $146 shipped. We'll see if the Magpul mags fit in the AN DBM. The gun will be to me on Monday and the DBM will be here Wednesday. I will definitely keep this thread updated as I've had a heck of a time getting a solid answer to my questions and I'd be glad to provide them to someone else. I have 3-10 roundand 1-5 round Magpul AICS mags to try in the DBM so I think that will be a good cross section to test.
    I have 3 other rifles that use Magpul Mags ... would love to convert my 10 FCP to a magpul mag ........Thanks for the help in this
    Thank You
    Wayne

The Magpul 7.62 AC 10 round mags fit perfect in my AM dbm. They will however not fit my MDT HS3 chassis.

The Magpul mags sometimes need a little modification to work in DBM's/Chassis that use AM/AI pattern mags. Sometimes you need to remove a bit of material on the outside surfaces of the feed lips. Sometimes you need a bit of material in other areas. Just go slow by trial and error.

Got the Accurate Mag DBM today. Needed a little bit of inletting at the back of the DBM. They did provide a set of screws that were longer than the originals. The website says they don't provide screws. The short screw was a little too long so I had to grind it down. The long screw was way too short so I had to buy a 2" screw and grind that one down too. All 3 of my Magpul AICS mags fit in the DBM. The fit is tight but not too tight. Overall overall nice upgrade for $150. Took me about 2 hours to install it.

Got the Accurate Mag DBM today. Needed a little bit of inletting at the back of the DBM. They did provide a set of screws that were longer than the originals. The website says they don't provide screws. The short screw was a little too long so I had to grind it down. The long screw was way too short so I had to buy a 2" screw and grind that one down too. All 3 of my Magpul AICS mags fit in the DBM. The fit is tight but not too tight. Overall overall nice upgrade for $150. Took me about 2 hours to install it.
    When you say "inletting at the back of the DBM" ... do you mean grinding with a Dremel or using sandpaper ... on the stock or the DBM? Was it a lot.

Did the original action screws not work?

Thanks
    Wayne
    Thank You
    Wayne

the DBM fit snugly in the stock when I initially test fit the DBM . When installed the DBM holes for the action screws where just slightly offset from the holes in the stock by about an 1/8" maybe a little less. I just used my dremel and my pocket knife to remove some of the nylon stock where the back of the DBM meets the stock allowing the DBM to set closer to the rear of the stock aligning the holes. I only removed enough material on the stock for the DBM holes to line up with the stock holes and the screws to move freely. I didn't remove any material from the DBM at all or any material from the aluminum bedding in the factory stock. The rest of the fit was actually really good and it looks really nice installed. The original action screws were not anywhere near close to fitting. Accurate Mag provided 2 really nice looking screws. The front action screw was about 1/8" too long and would contact the bolt when installed so I just used my bench grinder and removed the offending threads. The rear action screw Accurate Mag provided was almost 1/2" too short. I purchased a 1/4-28 2" long screw. That screw was about 1/8' too long and contacted the bolt as well. I ground that one down as well. I just went slow and test fit everything a little bit at a time to include when I was grinding down the screws. Took extra time but it looks nice. I will be shooting it tonight so well see how everything functions real world.

the DBM fit snugly in the stock when I initially test fit the DBM . When installed the DBM holes for the action screws where just slightly offset from the holes in the stock by about an 1/8" maybe a little less. I just used my dremel and my pocket knife to remove some of the nylon stock where the back of the DBM meets the stock allowing the DBM to set closer to the rear of the stock aligning the holes. I only removed enough material on the stock for the DBM holes to line up with the stock holes and the screws to move freely. I didn't remove any material from the DBM at all or any material from the aluminum bedding in the factory stock. The rest of the fit was actually really good and it looks really nice installed. The original action screws were not anywhere near close to fitting. Accurate Mag provided 2 really nice looking screws. The front action screw was about 1/8" too long and would contact the bolt when installed so I just used my bench grinder and removed the offending threads. The rear action screw Accurate Mag provided was almost 1/2" too short. I purchased a 1/4-28 2" long screw. That screw was about 1/8' too long and contacted the bolt as well. I ground that one down as well. I just went slow and test fit everything a little bit at a time to include when I was grinding down the screws. Took extra time but it looks nice. I will be shooting it tonight so well see how everything functions real world.
    Thanks for the info and help ... I will be ordering shortly ; )
    Thank You
    Wayne

Glad to help. Got my sharp shooters improved extractor/ejector kit today. Haven't shot the gun yet and don't know if I would've had a problem with extraction/ejection but I figured I'd head it off at the pass. Trying to get a load developed and barrel broken in before Antelope season opens next Saturday.

Glad you got it sorted out.

Basic Member
    Where did you source your other screw at? Just curious if this is something that can be had at Lowe's/Home Depot, looking at getting this as well for my rifle.

Just picked the screw up at the local hardware store. The thread pitch is slightly odd so they didnt have a huge selection at either of my hardware stores.

Team Savage
    !/4 x 28 tpi

Yup, 1/4x28

Basic Member
    I got my bottom metal in today. I had to inlet a little bit as well, none of the aluminum had to come off. The screws they sent me were both long by about 1/8 in so I ground them down and fitted them. My MDT mags were tight and took a file to the sides just enough to remove the texture and all was well. A note on the MDT mags though I did have to remove the rib on the back of the mag that was closest to the latch to give the lever enough travel room to easily disengage the mag.

Basic Member
    I just installed the Accurate setup this morning on my Berserk stock. I had an ever so slight misaligned rear action screw that necessitated me removing just a little aluminum in the screw hole of just the mag piece. Then I had to do some dremeling on the trigger guard area because it was super tight to begin.

I also had to trim the supplied screws.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Looks good!

44Runner
    I just picked one of these up. For $450 brand new it seemed like too much rifle to not be in my safe. I am glad to see there is a conversion so I can share mags with my Stealth.