Thread: pillar bedding

Basic Member

pillar bedding

How come the pillars you can buy are not curved at the top like the bottom of the action?

I don't Know exactly, but my theory is: because the pillar must be flush with the stocks action screw holes,(the pillar does not rise above the gun stock) there really isn't much metal touching the rifle, if any at all.

I just used a 1" and .5" steel spacers (rear and front respectively) that you can get at any hardware store. I had to take a little bit off of the 1" spacer so it was flush with the top and bottom of the action holes.... It also required me to "notch" the rear pillar so the trigger and action would cycle correctly.

Basic Member
    It has been my experience that unless the radius of the pillar is exactly the same as the action (unlikely), it will not support the action screw torque in a reliable way. It will settle and loosen. The purpose of the pillar is to eliminate squeezing the wood or composite material of the stock and thereby transferring a consistent torque (load) upon the action. This load can effect harmonics of the action during firing, and therefor effect consistency in point of impact. JMOP, YMMV.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

You can buy them curved... If you want... http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...prod22892.aspx

Basic Member
    ...but don't. Even factory installed pillars are flat on top. Tex basically said why.

Yep. Don't bother with the curved-end type pillars. Just use the ones that are square on both ends.