Thread: Top bolt release in a bottom bolt release stock

Basic Member

Top bolt release in a bottom bolt release stock

If I put a top bolt release action in a stock that originally came with a bottom bolt release action, will I have to clearance the stock for the top bolt release lever? I'm guessing I could just change out the trigger guard and that should be fine. Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Give it a shot. It has been done many times. Clearancing is probable. If I remember correctly and depending on the inlet there may be some trigger rub. Not certain but don't be surprised.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    I just dremeled out the area where the bolt release lever is with a sanding drum attachment. You also have to hog it out a little in front of that down in the stock where the sear part will hit because it is shaped different than a BBR. You can keep the BBR trigger guard or go to a standard one. If you go to a standard triggergaurd you may need the "wide" one that is thicker up front.

The stock usually has a faint outline where the top bolt release would be peaking through so inleting it is fairly easy. you just have to figure out how far and deep to go so the top bolt release doesn't rub on the stock during operation.

I've done it 2 times on Savage stocks and once on a boyds stock that I use for both left and right hand actions.