Thread: Short Action for 22 Hornet

Basic Member

Short Action for 22 Hornet

Anyone know if i can take a short action and put a 22 hornet barrel on it?

I'd need to change the barrel, and the bolt head. But is this doable? Or am i better off sticking with a Savage 25?

Basic Member
    I know people have ran 223 short or 221 fireball. I don't know how the rimmed hornet would feed threw a staggered or centerfeed magazine. Or if you would use a 223 or 308 mag due to the large rim.

What size bolt head are you going to use?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adam38654 View Post
    I know people have ran 223 short or 221 fireball. I don't know how the rimmed hornet would feed threw a staggered or centerfeed magazine. Or if you would use a 223 or 308 mag due to the large rim.

What size bolt head are you going to use?
    Precision Machinery makes a bolt head for the 22 hornet (http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/savag...ignment_cut-no)

I would probably try to use a .223 follower, or mag...if it'll feed through.

With the bolt head it is do able. Making it a single shot would be the easy way to go. I think ejection will be a problem, due to the length of the brass. Considering cost of barrel & bolt head & aggravation the 25 would be the easier route.

Basic Member
    Stick with the model 25. A hornet will not work on a short action, it not only won't eject, it won't feed as a single shot either, let alone out of a magazine. Cartridges that small don't work well with actions that were designed for a standard .473 bolt face cartridges.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Another option would be one of the Garin cartridges based on necked down .30carbine cases. Case capacities and performance are basically in line with the various improved Hornet cartridges (17 HH, 20AH, 22K-Hornet, etc). It's a rimless case with rim and body diameters similar enough to the .222/.223/.221.204 cases that it could be made to work. Would at least be easier than making it work with a Hornet case. The .30 Carbine cases are less fragile and finicky than the Hornet cases to.

http://www.surestrikesystem.com/

http://www.surestrikesystem.com/cali...ike_system.php

http://www.surestrikesystem.com/calibers/22_garin.php

The .17 Peewee and .22 MMJ Spitfire/5.7 Johnson wildcats are earlier versions of the same concept as the Garin rounds:

.223 Remington:

I wish that Savage would build a true 'mini' version of their 10/11/12/14/16 action. Those current SA Savage actions are much longer than needed for .223Rem or .221 Fireball based rounds (and the Garin type cartridges). Savage uses a blocked mag and a long gas baffle to make things work with the .223rem and .204ruger. They function fine, but are longer/heavier than needed for the shorter rounds.

A 'mini' 10 (model 1?) would be great for the little rounds, and a better.........more versatile platform than the 25 series. Probably cheaper to produce than the 25 as well. Right now, the best options for the short cartridges are the Savage 25, CZ 527, Zastava/etc mini-Mausers, the Howa mini actions, and the Tika and Browning mini actions (if you can find one for a decent price). I'll probably end up building a .20Garin and/or .22Garin on a CZ 527 or Howa mini at some point. With a 20" or 22" heavy sporter/light varminter profile barrel that'd be a sweet 'walking varmint' rifle.