Thread: Savage FV 12 Stock Suggestions

Negan

Savage FV 12 Stock Suggestions

Hi there,
    I would like to do some research for a stock replacement the Cabela's FV12 in 6.5 CM and was curious if anyone is partial to any particular manufacture. I am a novice and price is an issue($300 max). Any starting points would be great.

Also, am thinking about a new chassis for detachable mags

Thanks!

Any chassis is going to be significantly over your budget before you get a stock and grip. If using AICS mags is your thing, maybe try a Boyds stock like the Pro Varmint ($129) and have CDI Precision inlet and install their AICS-compatible bottom metal ($209 for parts and labor)? I've excluded shipping costs, naturally, and things like pillaring and bedding the rifle would be extra as well, but that would get you on a decent path that you can add to later as your skills demand it and your funds allow it.

Something a bit closer to a chassis in terms of metal-to-metal contact would be a Choate Tactical stock. I'm not familiar with that particular stock, but I think it requires you to obtain Savage factory bottom metal (and a Savage factory detachable magazine) for your 12FV or have an outfit like CDI inlet it for their AICS bottom metal.

The Bobby Hart from Stockystocks is an option also... https://www.stockysstocks.com/stocks...nd-models.html

My brother put one of these on his 12FV in 22-250.. I know that I have seen the DBM conversion on one of these(although it was a rem700 in 260 Rem), I just don't know if it's an option for the Savage. That wouldn't deter me from getting it however, as the blind mag will hold 4 or 5 rounds... It's a sold platform and tightened my brothers groups up... 15 shot one giant hole kind of accuracy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Begeb9iwZsM

Here is the Rem700 in the Bobby Hart with DBM conversion.

Basic Member
    will a savage bvss stock work on the savage model 12fv?
    does it need to be a long or short action for the 6.5 CM??

I don't know about the Savage BVSS stock, but 6.5 creedmoor is a short action cartridge.

I run a 260 Rem Match-- I'm shooting the 143ELD-X and even with that long pill and my 260 rem cartridge, my OAL of the round is 2.933 inches. The Creed cartridge is shorter than the 260 Rem; specifically designed so it would be ideal for a short action, even when shooting very long VLD bullets.

Negan
    Thank you all for this information! It is great!

Jformeck
    I use a bell and Carlson medalist tactical stock on my savage 10T. Has a full length aluminum bedding block and is very sturdy. Only downside is it's a blind mag style. Fits your price range at around 275$ from stockys. Mine shoots 1/2 moa, well worth a look

That Bell & Carlson stock is a blind mag setup? Cool. For some reason I thought it needed bottom metal.

Basic Member
    Negan,

I know this a bit hypocritical of me to say since I put my Savage 10 FCPSR in a chassis, but you might want to try your rifle in the factory stock first. I assume you will, but I thought I would suggest it anyway. I was planning on re-stocking my 12FV 22-250 before I ever laid eyes on it. When I received it, I was like, "This stock don't look half bad." It is a plastic stock, but I liked the look and feel of it much more than I thought I would. Due to crappy weather this year and my work schedule, I have yet to shoot the 22-250. However, many have reported the 12FVs shoot very well int the factory stock. So, as of now, I plan to keep it in the factory stock. If I do re-stock it, I will probably go with something like a Boyds.

It's one of the sturdiest injection molded stocks I've experienced. The major problem I have with it is the comb height, but that's easily rectified with a Kydex cheek riser.

Basic Member
    You don't specify AICS pattern mags, so another option to consider is a Boyds At One stock. That gives you fully adjustable options and will be around $200 shipped. They have a 12 model with DBM inlet. Keep in mind you will need the ~$35 plastic DMB hardware plus an axis style mag for another $30-$40. That hits your budget before bedding or anything like that.

Basic Member
    Negan, I have 2 older model FV's, with blind magazines. I've replaced both stocks. One with a nice laminate VLP stock. The other I started with a Bell & Carlson Tactical Medalist. I didn't care for the bulky wide forearm of the B&C, so I've since replaced that one with a HS Precision model. With the proper model of HS stock, you could have it inlet for AICS compatible bottom metal, & magazines. But, sadly, that will put you over your budget. I recently had an HS Precision stock inletted for Seekins bottom metal for AICS mags on a Remington 700, & I love it. I personally don't care all that much for chassis systems, but, that's just personal preference . Good luck with your search... Idaho-45

Basic Member
    I order to hold your price point, you do have some options but it depends upon what type of shooting you want to do, and how much detail work you are capable of doing to any stock you purchase. Stockysstocks has many, many different types of ready to shoot stocks from bench rest to field carry within your price range. More selection is available from Richards Micro Fit but you have to do all the final fitting, pillaring, bedding and finish work. Boyds has a good selection of stocks that will fit, however again, you have to do your own pillar installation if that is desired.
    For a quick drop-in and go shoot option for under $200, EABrown has a nice thumbhole laminate stock that I put under a 12FV. Shoots very well but is a bit heavy to carry in the field. Pillars are already installed and the one I got was truly a drop in and shoot. No work needed. I did bed it later on, but it shot very well straight out of the box.
    The 26" varmint weight barrel on the 12FV makes for a nose heavy rifle, especially if you put it in a lightweight hunter stock. With a heavier stock, a bi-pod and shooting from a bench or back of a Pick-up, it can be extremely accurate.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Basic Member
    Tagging in . I've got a 22-250 FV I've been thinking about restocking, and a 6.5 on backorder.

Texas10, I read a review where the wood on the EA Brown was soft . Any of those issues with yours ?

suscribed

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou Tenant View Post
    Tagging in . I've got a 22-250 FV I've been thinking about restocking, and a 6.5 on backorder.

Texas10, I read a review where the wood on the EA Brown was soft . Any of those issues with yours ?
    Absolutely not. My EABrown laminate wood stock is perfectly sound, and as far as I can tell, identical to my BVSS laminate stock, my 2 Bobby Harts, and my Richards.

I did buy a BVSS stock from a guy on another forum that looked identical to the factory original but was split front to back through the center. Supposedly was never shot, but it was clearly evident that it suffered from poor laminate glue. I returned it.

Maybe one of the "gray hair shooters" here can chime in on the history of laminates around the time the major supplier had a fire. I think a lot of rejects and seconds found their way into the market for a while until a reliable supply was once again available. Maybe that is what your referenced reviewer experienced.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Basic Member
    Texas10,

Thanks for the response. The Brown looks like a lot of stock for the money.

I have a fv12 .22-250. I like the factory stock and plan to keep it.
    Can anyone explain why, other than the looks and some forearm flex,the factory stock is so terrible?
    I looked at the Hogue website and they offer an over molded composite that looks good to me too.
    Im interested in your comments.

Basic Member
    RBW,
    For me it's the cheap feel . They'll shoot fine in the factory stock. I've proven that to myself.