Thread: Springfield purchase.... Heresy? Blasphemy? Ban-able offense?

Springfield purchase.... Heresy? Blasphemy? Ban-able offense?

The M1A was one of my bucket-list guns until Springfield's shenanigans... Then I joined in the "I'll never buy another one" crowd. BUT... I suddenly have the opportunity to pick up a well taken care of M1A Loaded Archangel (with Springfield scope mount) from a guy at work for a very good deal. I figure the money's not going into Springfield's pocket on a used purchase..... thoughts?

Buy it.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

my national match is nice
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    I had a loaded. Sent to SA and had them put it in a McMillan stock and unitize the gas cylinder. Replaced the trigger with USGI. Was an excellent shooter, but ended up way too heavy for me so I took my beating and sold it.

They have a heck of a following. Lots of moving parts, more maintenance. Also slings brass into the next zip code.

All that being said, if I came upon a sweet deal on one I'd pick it up. Then trade it for another bolt gun

Basic Member
    I had wanted a M1A for more years than I could count. After lots of working, saving, and working more on the side, I scraped up enough money to buy one. I knew I was only ever going to be able to afford 1, so I made sure I bought my dream one. I found a mint late 80's made super match. Thing looked like it had barely been shot. I checked/cleaned the gas system, cleaned and greased the everything. It had the factory gen 3 scope base on it. I took it out and was quickly disappointed in the rifle.
    First go around it was having ejection issues. About half the rounds it would not eject. Turns out I was somehow not sizing my cases enough. My FAL had no issues with the same brass. I adjusted my die and now it would feed and eject normally, but accuracy was all over the place. I tried 3 or 4 different powders, two different match bullets (SMK and hornady) and still could not get more than a few inches at 100 yards. I went through the gun with a fine tooth comb. I bought a sadlak scope base and a vortex viper scope for it, thinking it could have been a scope base or optics issue. Still no dice. I was so mad and disappointed in it.
    I found a DPMS G2 Bull for a really good price brand new, and right out of the box, not even being broke in yet, and using a cheap scope I had laying around, it was running circles around the M1A. I was getting sub moa from the DPMS G2 with the exact same ammo the M1A was giving me shotgun patterns with.
    Needless to say, I now have the vortex scope on the DPMS and no longer have the M1A.

The M1A is a expensive gun, there are limited upgrades and aftermarket parts, and what is out there are expensive. Not to mention replacement parts and extra mags are usually stupid high. If you are reloader, the M1A jus murders the brass.
    The AR10 platform has endless possibilities and aftermarket parts/upgrades. Plus they are way easier and cheaper to upgrade. They are also easier on the brass.

Have one also a loaded M1A, had a smith that knows the m1a had it rear luged and glassed into a birch NM stock and he worked over the trigger asm. shoots 3/4 min all day

Thanks guys for the feedback, especially JeepsAndGuns for taking the time to write all that. I have been eyeing up AR10 platforms as well, since I do not own one yet, and the G2 has definitely been on my radar as well as the MSR10-LR. Like you said, the M1A has been one that I've always wanted, I know that it's really hit-or-miss on whether or not it's a shooter, and I certainly have no illusions of punching cloverleafs with it. No matter how much lipstick you put on it, it's still a battle rifle... I think if I could get it to consistently to do 2 MOA, it doesn't give me any hassles, and it's fun to shoot, I could live with that. Plus, it's a good enough deal that if I don't like it, I know I can get my money back plus some, so I am going to say to heck with my morals, roll the dice & give it a try.

Banned
    While I am not a semi auto kind of guy, if you can get what you want at a price that works, buy it.

Johnny red
    I have a SAI loaded and shoot it a good bit. Knock on wood it has been very reliable. With match ammo and a scope its a 1.5 MOA rifle.