Thread: Bolt head with relationship to headspace

MDQDM

Bolt head with relationship to headspace

So after replacing the bolt head and having the gs install and set the headspace I was able to take it to the range for a test. Turns out the bolt head is upside down and as a result won't eject the casing. Can I disassemble the bolt, flip the bolt head and be Ok? Would it need to be headspace again? Same parts etc, just that the bolt head would be flipped 180. Thoughts?

Nothing will fundamentally change by assembling it properly .
    But it's an easy check to see if something is out of spec.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

If your lugs are off headspace could be changed minimally. Probably not enough to be of concern. Sounds like the GS needs to pay better attention!

MDQDM
    Thanks for the info. I was able to switch it 180. I'll be taking it to the gs for some other items, and have him check it again.

I've swapped bolt heads from different short actions and headspace was still good within spec. Headspace will not be affected enough (or any) to matter when you flip the head.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero333 View Post
    I've swapped bolt heads from different short actions and headspace was still good within spec. Headspace will not be affected enough (or any) to matter when you flip the head.
    I wouldn't be advising anyone to ever do this. Have you ever measured the differences between the bolt face and rear of bolt locking lugs? Or trued the receiver lug abutments? Just because it works in one rifle and another does not mean that every rifle can just have bolt heads swapped without consequence. This is shady and shoddy advice at best.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyShackle View Post
    I wouldn't be advising anyone to ever do this. Have you ever measured the differences between the bolt face and rear of bolt locking lugs? Or trued the receiver lug abutments? Just because it works in one rifle and another does not mean that every rifle can just have bolt heads swapped without consequence. This is shady and shoddy advice at best.
    I agree with you.
    I've seen a .010 difference in headspace that wasn't caught that stretched brass and got premature case separations.

Today I flipped 3 bolt heads and headspace didn't change enough for the go & no-go gauges to do their jobs.

If the OP can't get the proper go-no-go gauges he can use the Hornady modified OAL cases, with a layer of masking tape on the head they turn into no-go gauge.
    I've measured 5 different hornady OAL modified cases and they all measure EXACTLY the same as their corresponding go-gauges.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero333 View Post
    Today I flipped 3 bolt heads and headspace didn't change enough for the go & no-go gauges to do their jobs.

If the OP can't get the proper go-no-go gauges he can use the Hornady modified OAL cases, with a layer of masking tape on the head they turn into no-go gauge.
    I've measured 5 different hornady OAL modified cases and they all measure EXACTLY the same as their corresponding go-gauges.
    I wasn't trying to impune your character or the fact that you can and did succsussfully flip a bolt head, or swap bolt heads without issue. Swapping bolt heads is more risky than simply flipping one 180 degrees, but to give that advice isn't something I would do. You have to realize that there are people reading this that have basic skill sets and might not understand what the consequences might end up being. Just trying to subvert a possible catastrophe from a less knowledgeable person. Not everyone has a set of go nogo gauges or a OAL case.

Cheers

I wasn't trying to impune your character or the fact that you can and did succsussfully flip a bolt head, or swap bolt heads without issue. Swapping bolt heads is more risky than simply flipping one 180 degrees, but to give that advice isn't something I would do. You have to realize that there are people reading this that have basic skill sets and might not understand what the consequences might end up being. Just trying to subvert a possible catastrophe from a less knowledgeable person. Not everyone has a set of go nogo gauges or a OAL case.

Cheers
    I agree with you. I should of worded things more carefully.