Hello, I have several "firsts" here, first bolt gun, first Savage, (12FV in .223) first problem with favorite loads.

Previously I have loaded .223 for my AR15 guns, various hand guns, never had a problem. I use (well for this question anyway) a Lee Classic turret press,
and have had this trouble with both the Lee .223 dies, as well as the dies I am currently using, Redding Competition bushing micrometer neck sizer along with the Redding Competition Body die which are used in conjunction with the Redding Competition shell holders.

This die set allows controlled and adjustable neck sizing, full length body sizing, and adjustable shoulder set back via the set of shell holders, each of which are .002 difference from the next, 5 holders in the set.

The problem occurs regardless of which dies I use and I think it is a problem with the chamber, lead in an so forth.

The load is from Sierra, and is with Sierra match kings, 69 grain, 52 grain 53 grain, as well as 53 grain non match kings, also Sierra. I have always noticed that these bullets do not allow me to use the Sheridan case gauge, the bullet binds, leaving the head standing a little proud. I have plenty of other measuring devices so this isnt a problem.

The 69 grain SMK are set at 2.260, the 52 and 53 grain SMK are set at 2.250, per Sierra. These rounds have all performed well, a few of the non match kings having to be culled out due to a smashed flat shipping package.

I loaded some up, having prepared LC brass, using Reddings instruction of bumping the shoulder until the case goes in and bolt shuts without binding. I loaded a few without primer and powder to see how they fit, removed and measured. Apparently these round must contact the lands, I noticed a slight, very slight resistance to shutting the bolt, as well as pulling it back, maybe a little more so. Remeasuring showed it had been collapsed down to 2.240, another shut and open 2.239, another 2.238 where it seemed to hold. I removed bullet, set it back to 2.250, but with the looser neck ejecting it and measuring showed 2.270, from the friction of trying to pull it out.

Hmmmm, others tell me they dont have this problem and neither did I before this. I know the bolt gun chamber is tighter/shorter than one in an AR, but this seems problematic. The gent that "had no problem" also had about 2500 rounds through his and thought maybe barrel erosion was sufficient to allow it to fit in his gun.

Should I send barrel back to Savage, (or the whole gun) or just find shorter rounds? Apparently 2.238 is max for this chamber with these bullets..

Thankyou for any help anyone could give, especially if these Sierra loads fit your 12FV or if they dont and if so, what you did about it. I have been told I could have it reamed, but seems this could possible mess up accuracy?

Sorry if this should have been in the centerfire rifle thread, this one seemed as much about the load as the gun.

Russellc