Thread: help me decide 116 trophy hunter or 116lwh or 116 fcss weather warrior

help me decide 116 trophy hunter or 116lwh or 116 fcss weather warrior

help me decide 116 trophy hunter or 116lwh or 116 fcss weather warrior

holy smokes im not sure what I want between these

I want stainless, lightweight, hunting rifle

biggest questions are, is the accustock any good? is it worth the extra weight, and how much weight are we talking!?

second is the LWH worth the extra money for the weight savings?? how does it shoot in that plastic tupperware?

the trophy hunter is my option if the accustock suks, and the LWH isnt work the weight savings for the $

looking forward to your replies, this will be a hunting rifle that I walk around with, longest shot 300yrds 400 maybe one day if I practice more but thats pushing it

The accustock is good for what it is. If you buy one, swapping the action to an aftermarket stock really isn't an option unless you remove the bbl and replace the recoil lug as they are different.

All that said, the accustock makes for a fine hunting stock. Not sure on the weight increase? I think your best bet overall would be an accustocked version unless you really want to upgrade stocks down the line, then the standard weather warrior might be best.

Basic Member
    I have a 116 Bear Hunter in 300 Win. Mag that I just love. While it is a touch on the heavy side, it shoots 1/2 MOA all day long and is my go to elk rifle.

What caliber are you thinking? I looked through the options you listed and compared them (used the .308 in this instance) Based off that I would go with the 116 Trophy Hunter, then the Weather Warrior... I don't feel the accustock adds that much benefit/accuracy for a hunting rifle. Additionally, the barrel is 22" long on these 2 options as apposed to a 20" barrel on the LWH. IMO that barrel is too short (opinions will vary however) and is only a pound and a half lighter (Without optics). And as said before, if you want to upgrade to a Laminate stock in the future all you have to do is get the stock (and maybe some new bottom metal).

The Trophy hunter comes with a scope (one that you can sell if you don't like) and put the funds towards some better optics given you're looking at 400 yard max distance (I'd want more than a 9 power scope). I have the 11/111 Trophy hunter package in 30-06 for Elk and it is plenty accurate for a hunting rifle. It's a 1 MOA shooter out to 200 yards (that's as far as I've attempted a shot with it) any way you slice it. I put a 4-12 Leupold on mine and sold the Nikon 3-9 for $90.00 rings included.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyShackle View Post
    The accustock is good for what it is. If you buy one, swapping the action to an aftermarket stock really isn't an option unless you remove the bbl and replace the recoil lug as they are different. All that said, the accustock makes for a fine hunting stock. Not sure on the weight increase? I think your best bet overall would be an accustocked version unless you really want to upgrade stocks down the line, then the standard weather warrior might be best.
    I was aware that you could not take a barreled action with a standard recoil lug and install it in an Accustock. What I was not aware of is that a barreled action with an accustock recoil lug could not be used in a different/aftermarket stock. I believe this is what you stated. I beg to differ
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Only you can decide what's most important to you.

LWH = Lightest weight, but the stock isn't the greatest. It's plenty sufficient for a hunting rifle, but it's going to have a good amount of flex in it. Also uses Axis-style magazines rather than metal bottomed.
    116 FCSS = Not as light as the LWH, but has a better stock and metal magazine bottom/hardware.
    116 Trophy Hunter = Not light, same flexy stock as LWH, and uses Axis-style magazines.

If you don't like the Axis style mag's then the FCSS is going to be what you want.
    If you want lightest weight and can live with the stock and Axis mags, go with the LWH.
    If you want heavier, flexy stock and can live with the Axis mags go with the Trophy Hunter.

Probably get a little better accuracy from the FCSS due to the AccuStock being stiffer, but not guaranteed (adjusting your form and grip will help with the flex in the other stock)
    If weight is key, the LWH is the way to go.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    I was aware that you could not take a barreled action with a standard recoil lug and install it in an Accustock. What I was not aware of is that a barreled action with an accustock recoil lug could not be used in a different/aftermarket stock. I believe this is what you stated. I beg to differ
    Let me clarify, it would be BEST to swap out the recoil lug if going to an aftermarket stock from an accustock. Didn't mean to imply it couldn't be done. Thanks for catching that.

Quote Originally Posted by SageRat Shooter View Post
    What caliber are you thinking? I looked through the options you listed and compared them (used the .308 in this instance) Based off that I would go with the 116 Trophy Hunter, then the Weather Warrior... I don't feel the accustock adds that much benefit/accuracy for a hunting rifle. Additionally, the barrel is 22" long on these 2 options as apposed to a 20" barrel on the LWH. IMO that barrel is too short (opinions will vary however) and is only a pound and a half lighter (Without optics). And as said before, if you want to upgrade to a Laminate stock in the future all you have to do is get the stock (and maybe some new bottom metal).

The Trophy hunter comes with a scope (one that you can sell if you don't like) and put the funds towards some better optics given you're looking at 400 yard max distance (I'd want more than a 9 power scope). I have the 11/111 Trophy hunter package in 30-06 for Elk and it is plenty accurate for a hunting rifle. It's a 1 MOA shooter out to 200 yards (that's as far as I've attempted a shot with it) any way you slice it. I put a 4-12 Leupold on mine and sold the Nikon 3-9 for $90.00 rings included.

good points, I would probably get the 308 as I already have the dies ect. for it although i was thinking maybe 6.5...im in canada though and it is not nearly as common yet.
    I have optics already (leupold vx3 2.5-7x33) so i believe its 11.5oz I wouldnt use that for 400yds, but realistically the furthest shot i have made while hunting so far was 140yrds ranged

Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    Only you can decide what's most important to you.

LWH = Lightest weight, but the stock isn't the greatest. It's plenty sufficient for a hunting rifle, but it's going to have a good amount of flex in it. Also uses Axis-style magazines rather than metal bottomed.
    116 FCSS = Not as light as the LWH, but has a better stock and metal magazine bottom/hardware.
    116 Trophy Hunter = Not light, same flexy stock as LWH, and uses Axis-style magazines.

If you don't like the Axis style mag's then the FCSS is going to be what you want.
    If you want lightest weight and can live with the stock and Axis mags, go with the LWH.
    If you want heavier, flexy stock and can live with the Axis mags go with the Trophy Hunter.

Probably get a little better accuracy from the FCSS due to the AccuStock being stiffer, but not guaranteed (adjusting your form and grip will help with the flex in the other stock)
    If weight is key, the LWH is the way to go.

Hey I just came across your review of the LWH, you did a great job on that so thank you!

trophyhunter bare rifle is about 7lbs from what I am gathering? LWH is 5.5ish? FCSS would be the same as the trophyhunter plus im guessing 1/2lb for the accustock,so 7 1/4 - 7 1/2? would those be fair guesses?

and how does the trophy hunter or LWH compare to the axis? I know I know probably totally diff. But would you say there is a big difference in stock stiffness etc? (I am very familiar with the axis)

I would say the Axis stock is a little flimsier than the LWH or Trophy Hunter stocks. The Axis has a ton of flex in the wrist area, whereas the LWH/TH stock isn't as bad in that regard.

As far as weights, this is from Savage's website for the .308 Win models:

16 LWH = 5.65 lbs.
    16 FCSS = 6.9 lbs.
    11 Trophy Hunter XP = 7.25 lbs.
    Axis = 6.5 lbs.

Weight of the Axis and Axis XP are both listed as 6.5 lbs. so I'm assuming the 11 Trophy Hunter XP weight is w/o the scope and rings.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    I would say the Axis stock is a little flimsier than the LWH or Trophy Hunter stocks. The Axis has a ton of flex in the wrist area, whereas the LWH/TH stock isn't as bad in that regard.

As far as weights, this is from Savage's website for the .308 Win models:

16 LWH = 5.65 lbs.
    16 FCSS = 6.9 lbs.
    11 Trophy Hunter XP = 7.25 lbs.
    Axis = 6.5 lbs.

Weight of the Axis and Axis XP are both listed as 6.5 lbs. so I'm assuming the 11 Trophy Hunter XP weight is w/o the scope and rings.
    interesting, I have always wondered if the weight listed on there sight for packages includes the scope or if it is literally the bare rifle weight? I cant see how a trophy hunter would weigh more then the FCSS considering it has no accustock, and no bottom metal