Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Savage model 11 trophy hunter

Basic Member

Savage model 11 trophy hunter

I am having big troubles finding a after market stock. I have a 28" shilen bull barrel and need a stock that will accommodate this barrel... it's bottom bolt release, sa, here are pictures of the mag and bottom of the rifle. Any advice would be appreciated:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted_Feasel View Post
    I am having big troubles finding a after market stock. I have a 28" shilen bull barrel and need a stock that will accommodate this barrel... it's bottom bolt release, sa, here are pictures of the mag and bottom of the rifle. Any advice would be appreciated:)

Try Boyd's or Stockys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bowhntr62a View Post
    Try Boyd's or Stockys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I was looking at those but can't determine if they will fit... I'm going to have to call them I guess.. I got a Hogue, it fits but has some issues that I could probably grind out and it looks like it needs a adapter for the magazine... here's a pic of its mag

Basic Member
    I was looking at those but can't determine if they will fit... I'm going to have to call them I guess.. I got a Hogue, it fits but has some issues that I could probably grind out and it looks like it needs a adapter for the magazine... here's a pic of its mag

It's gonna piss me off if I have to hand craft one... my dad could probably easily machine the aluminum bed

Basic Member
    Just get a stock for a model 10 detachable box magazine, bottom bolt release.

THen call Savaqe Parts Dept for the "Bottom Metal" plastic ($15) or metal version ($125 or so). Tell them you have the 11 with Axis style DBM and want the bottom parts for a wood stock from Boyds. They know what you need and can talk you through it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    Just get a stock for a model 10 detachable box magazine, bottom bolt release.

THen call Savaqe Parts Dept for the "Bottom Metal" plastic ($15) or metal version ($125 or so). Tell them you have the 11 with Axis style DBM and want the bottom parts for a wood stock from Boyds. They know what you need and can talk you through it.
    Awesome thanks... I have a Hogue stock and ordered that part from savage I hope it works

Or though not as glamorous, you can try the economy solution. I was in a similar predicament and boiled a factory synthetic stock in a propane turkey fryer (5 or6 gal I think) filled with water. I got it boiling good and then put the fore end down in the pot. The plastic doesn't get really soft but softens up some (enough to do the job) after about 15 or 20 minutes or maybe a little longer. Then with gloves on I forced a 1" wooden dowel (big fat broom handle) down into the barrel channel and secured it with duct tape till it cooled. once it cooled it retained this shape. I did have to relieve the barrel channel just a little at the tip to accommodate the heavier barrel. This allowed me to put the heavy fluted threaded barrel off of one of the older model 10BAs onto an old 110 sporter without spending any cash. Plenty of clearance and it has worked well for the last 8 or 9 years.
    I may have been accused of "redneck engineering" a time or two but it looks factory and most importantly it works. LOL Sorry for the crappy pic.but it's the only one I have of this setup.

A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    Or though not as glamorous, you can try the economy solution. I was in a similar predicament and boiled a factory synthetic stock in a propane turkey fryer (5 or6 gal I think) filled with water. I got it boiling good and then put the fore end down in the pot. The plastic doesn't get really soft but softens up some (enough to do the job) after about 15 or 20 minutes or maybe a little longer. Then with gloves on I forced a 1" wooden dowel (big fat broom handle) down into the barrel channel and secured it with duct tape till it cooled. once it cooled it retained this shape. I did have to relieve the barrel channel just a little at the tip to accommodate the heavier barrel. This allowed me to put the heavy fluted threaded barrel off of one of the older model 10BAs onto an old 110 sporter without spending any cash. Plenty of clearance and it has worked well for the last 8 or 9 years.
    I may have been accused of "redneck engineering" a time or two but it looks factory and most importantly it works. LOL Sorry for the crappy pic.but it's the only one I have of this setup.

I have thought about just wrapping a 1 inch rod with sand paper and opening up the factory stocks barrel channel... that would be a good temp solution.. unfortunately I don't have the accustock so my factory stock has no pillars or bedding and that along with the 28" match shilen bull barrel are why I'm changing stocks... the Hogue may end up working once the plastic piece from savage gets here.. I got the overloaded Hogue with full aluminum bed so it should be sturdy and barrel should be free floating.. keeping my fingers crossed... if not I will call Hogue back and see if there is a different stock I can exchange it for and if not I'll return it and get a boyds

The two I've used for my 11 are a Choat tactical and a XLR Element chassis.
    Both work with bottled bolt release.
    The Choat will work with sa savage bottom metal which you'll have to get as you have a axis style mag with integrated mag opening in stock.

I inleted the factory 11 stock for a shilen varmint.
    It worked but looked pretty funny.

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/FindA...=A26&Action=4D

Here are your available options (with the given information) from Boyds... The Bull barrel will probably require the Thumbhole, Pro Varmint, or the At-one... The other options may leave you too little meat around the barrel channel to open it up.

I love my Pro Varmint, but not sure what style you are actually wanting....

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SageRat Shooter View Post

Here are your available options (with the given information) from Boyds... The Bull barrel will probably require the Thumbhole, Pro Varmint, or the At-one... The other options may leave you too little meat around the barrel channel to open it up.

Right on and thank you:) I think this full bed Hogue is going to work once the magazine conversion kit I ordered from savage gets here but if it doesn't I definitely have bookmarked the link you provided. I called savage and Hogue and actually spoke with one of their savage designers and he swears the one I have will work once I install the magazine conversion kit

Basic Member

Bull barrel.. it's 28 inch and 1 inch diameter at muzzle

Bull barrel.. it's 28 inch and 1 inch diameter at muzzle
    I got that part, I meant what style of stock.... A Pro varmint is a great bench stock and ok for carrying I suppose, but the Prairie hunter type designs are a more traditional hunting stock. The Pro varmint will have enough meat to open up the channel for the bull barrel. The Prairie hunter wont.

Basic Member
    I got that part, I meant what style of stock.... A Pro varmint is a great bench stock and ok for carrying I suppose, but the Prairie hunter type designs are a more traditional hunting stock. The Pro varmint will have enough meat to open up the channel for the bull barrel. The Prairie hunter wont.
    I'll have to look at the exact name but it's a Hogue full bed overloaded stock...

Basic Member
    If you goto hogueinc.com in the search put 11112

Bell & Carlson M40
    Old Smokey

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbuckdn View Post
    Bell & Carlson M40
    Is it a drop in fit?

Is it a drop in fit?

From what I could tell yes they had both top and bottom bolt
    Old Smokey

Basic Member
    From what I could tell yes they had both top and bottom bolt
    Awesome, thanks for the imfo:)

It's the stock I wanted to use but only comes in varmit and bull barrel they don't make it for sport barrel
    Old Smokey

Basic Member
    It's the stock I wanted to use but only comes in varmit and bull barrel they don't make it for sport barrel
    Awesome, sounds perfect for my needs then

Jformeck
    I bought a bell and Carlson medalist tactical stock for my cabelas exclusive 10T, it says it's a top bolt release stock but it fit my bottom bolt release rifle with no modication, except free floating the tang area of the stock. It's also a blind magazine stock if that matters to you

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jformeck View Post
    I bought a bell and Carlson medalist tactical stock for my cabelas exclusive 10T, it says it's a top bolt release stock but it fit my bottom bolt release rifle with no modication, except free floating the tang area of the stock. It's also a blind magazine stock if that matters to you
    The Hogue full aluminum bed I bought worked perfectly after I put the magazine adapter played in from Savage perfect fit. I really like the feel of it too it's that over molded kind of soft grip but most importantly it's a full aluminum bed so it's very sturdy I'm going to put my bull shilen barrel on it this weekend

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jformeck View Post
    Got her done... can't wait to see how it prints:) only downside is I will probably have to work up new loads for it.

Congratulations on your new stock. Now don't forget about torque tuning her.
    http://www.accurateshooter.com/techn...torque-tuning/
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast