Thread: filling factory stock

Basic Member

filling factory stock

I have a couple 12FV stocks I would like to reinforce but I don't want to add allot of weight. I will use JB weld for bedding the action but would prefer to use some type of clear resin or epoxy to fill the hand guard recesses. I imagine a two part epoxy would would stick to the plastic pretty well but I don't know where to get that much. Maybe something like in a fiberglass kit. I also want to fill the butt stock but not something heavy like silicone. I was thinking some type of expanding foam in a can would get rid of the cheap hollow sound and and add a little extra weight.

I used some lead fishing sinkers and the Foamy crack sealing stuff that you can get an any hardware store to fill in the butt of the stock. Still has kind of a hollow sound, but is a bit more sturdy. Mine was the Axis stock as apposed to the FV but they should be fairly similar.

Fiberglass kit should work fairly well for the fore end.

I would recommend doing a small section of the forend with the epoxy or JB weld to make sure it sticks. I have not had good luck getting it to stick to the plastic stocks. Using a drill/drimmel to put holes and rough up the plastic and trying to get a mechanical lock rather than a bond is the only way I have gotten it to work.

Banned
    In order to get the plastic to let go of the mold, they use a release agent.

That's still there on the stock.

You will need to roughen the surface or drill holes into it to get purchase.

Boyds makes great stocks at a very decent price, I wood (pun intended) call the Laminates fantastic.

The Laminates are as stable or more so than composites and look better.

Just guessing but maybe something like Bondo which is an 2 part polyester body filler made for automotive applications would work.
    Maybe check with someone who has used it frequently and they may have a definite answer.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

I do autobody. Bondo is not all that light. I would use some kind of expanding foam. If you can find it I would try ridged foam. It's a little more dense than the house in a can foam that you can find at Home Depot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    One of my friends posted a "How-To" over on the M14 forum. He stiffens and fills GI fiberglass stocks in the forend area. Perhaps you can get some ideas from his post.

http://m14forum.com/stock/368265-how...ass-stock.html

Tony.

Banned
    Fiberglass stocks are a whole different ball game than Plastic with the release agent issue.

Basic Member
    try using epoxy with vermiculite its the lightest fill I know of

jacksmad1
    You may want to check out my posting and video on how I filled by hog hunter stock. http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...g-Hunter-stock