Thread: Matte blue finish options

Matte blue finish options

Hi everyone, new here!
    I have a model 10 that came from the factory with a polished blue receiver, bolt handle etc...and I would like a matte finish as I am converting it to more of a "tactical" style. Any suggestions? Also, I am on the fence as to do it myself (I think it would be fun) or have a gunsmith do it. This is probably a one time thing, so investing in equipment might cost the same as having someone else do it.

Thanks in advance!

Basic Member
    Just how "pretty" do you want it to be? If you value function over looks rough it up and hit it with some cold epoxy paint or cerakote.

I was hoping for it to match the matte color and finish of a scope. Function will remain the same no matter what it looks like you are correct, but, I figure this will be a one time thing and I want something I can look at and have it last too! Lol!

No good suggestions except to scuff it up?

Basic Member
    Looking around the web it's $200 and up to matte finish a rifle. If you have the $$$ then it's no problem. I think your budget answers the question here...

Might be farther ahead to run to cabelas and buy a 12FV while they are having the great sale. Then sell the polished action here in the classifieds section. I think they are somewhat desireable since discontinued

Basic Member
    You can get a gun parkerised for a little cheaper. It is a rough matte finish. It also allot easier to do at home than bluing if your up for it. But you have to bead blast the entire gun and have a large enough stainless steel tank to dip the gun into the boiling solution. Then there is alwas gunkote or cerakote if you want a spray on finish. But you have to bake the finish for a couple hours at 400 degrees. If you don't mind something a little less durable you can use a no-bake finish like Duracoat. Brownells even sells something like that in a spray paint can.

I would also look into buying another gun like I wanted vs putting the money into another one. The 12FV for sale at cabelas would be under $300 shipped and all. The latest ones I have seen where matte but you may get an old stock one that were high polish blued also.

Team Savage
    I have done several rifles and shotguns myself. you will need to break the rifle down to parts and sand blast with 80-grit aluminum oxide to get a matte finish and then apply some type of coating to prevent rust. I never had much luck with DIY cold blue with respect to getting a consistent, durable finish. Air brushing on Gun-Kote or cerakote will give you an even, durable and weatherproof finish. After cleaning and sand-blasting, I usually pre-treat the metal with K-Phos to stop rust process and then air-brush with Gun-Kote, a bake on finish. A Harbor Freight hobby sand-blast kit and air brush are cheap. You can find 25 lb pails of aluminum oxide on Ebay. You can purchase the K-Phos and Gun-Kote direct from K-Systems, Midway USA, or in a rattle cans from Brownell. I use a cardboard box to make a sand-blast cabinet. The critical and most important tool is access to a good air compressor. Sand-blasting takes a large volume of air.

But for only one rifle, I agree with RustyShakle, it would be less hassle, cheaper and faster to pick up a Cabela's 12FV, part out your current rifle and sell online.

Jformeck
    I have one of my savages cerakoted in graphite black to match the factory finish and it's awesome. Actually made the bolt a lot smoother too. My gunsmith does barreled actions for $120, highly recommend! Plus you don't ever have to oil it before putting it in the safe