Thread: Savage Barrel Install Questions

Basic Member

Savage Barrel Install Questions

I have a new custom barrel for a Precision Target Action, but am puzzled on barrel vises. My barrel is a bull barrel with a straight taper. Barrel vises I have seen (i.e., Viper), seem to have the same radius in the two gripping halves, so how is that going to work on a TAPERED barrel? Maybe it can't, and I need to hold the action in some fixture vs holding the barrel?

Secondly, my custom ground recoil lug has no locating pin. How am I correctly locate and hold the lug without a locating pin? Apparently, some guns do not have a locating pin or recess for it, so short of buying a tool of some sort to hold the recoil lug in place while tightening the barrel, how can a "no-pin) recoil lug be located time after time (if changing barrels)?

Thank you.

Phil

First guestion the vise will work but it's tough and you could scratch the barrel. for installing I use an action wrench instead I only use my vise to take off factory barrel

second question I cannot answer
    Old Smokey

Basic Member
    Suggest you look at the Northland Shooters supply website. They can supply what you need

Basic Member
    The Viper vise has four nuts and will cant to match your barrel taper as you tighten the vise. Use a toilet roll tube or as I use index cards to wrap around the barrel to protect barrel from scratches.

Without an index pin on your lug you can have a gunsmith pin your lug to the action or return your lug to the supplier for a proper lug.

Northland Shooters Supply has the proper lugs and action wrench. You might ask Jim if the "Taper Loc System for the Rem700" would work on your in non-pinned lug.
    http://northlandshooterssupply.com/tools/

I use both an action wrench and a vise when removing or installing a barrel. I started off only using an action wrench and putting the wrench in a bench vise, but having the weight of the barrel floating in the air just made me feel uncomfortable. So I started using the vise and the action wrench together.

Basic Member
    I use a an action wrench when installing and removing barrels. Helps prevent me from scratching up my barrels
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Banned
    Heck last time I used the NSS nut wrench and a pipe wrench.

Laid it on the table, popped the nut loose, moved the barrel out a shade and back (fine tuning to match another gun chamber)