Thread: Which way to go next?

Basic Member

Which way to go next?

I'm interested in shooting out to 1k. I've got my rifle set up to an extent that I'd consider is good enough. Where would you recommend spending the next couple hundred dollars: a complete reloading kit or a Kestrel and laser rangefinder? Thanks for any input you can provide.

Basic Member
    Well that depends, if you will be shooting at an established range with known distances to the target, there would be no need for the rangefinder.
    On the other hand if your not, then the rangefinder would be helpful although not totally necessary.
    Ive been a casual, meaning non competetive long range shooter and hunter for about 50 years, and don't own a kestrel, nor do I know anyone else who does.
    A loading outfit for any serious shooter is pretty much standard equiptment.

I would go with the reloading kit.

Hey yobuck! You getting out of the way of Irma?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Well that depends, if you will be shooting at an established range with known distances to the target, there would be no need for the rangefinder.
    On the other hand if your not, then the rangefinder would be helpful although not totally necessary.
    Ive been a casual, meaning non competetive long range shooter and hunter for about 50 years, and don't own a kestrel, nor do I know anyone else who does.
    A loading outfit for any serious shooter is pretty much standard equiptment.
    Seems reasonable. Thanks for the reply.

A loading kit is the least expensive biggest improvement to accuracy you can make to any modern rifle.
    I usually recommend starting there before doing anything to a rifle (other than adjusting the trigger if it has a decent one)
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the replies. Now what? Hornady, RCBS, Lyman or Lee? Not knowing details, is this like asking Ford, Dodge or Chevy?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    I would go with the reloading kit.

Hey yobuck! You getting out of the way of Irma?
    It would be hard leaving due to all the people south of us already clogging the roads.
    Beyond that accomedations would be pretty much impossible.
    We secured things well and intend staying put.

Banned
    I am going to take the opposite tact.

A basic reloading kit is not that bad. One that gets you maximum performance that you want at 1000 yards is doing to cost.

You don't say what you have and what glass you have?

I think I have put a good $600 into my basic re-load setup I had to get where I could produce quality ammo with some speed.

Anneal machine, fast case trimmer, Lyman M Die, quality Dies particularly the seating dies.

You're going to get a lot of opinions but I'd say start with the basic starter kit if that's what fits your budget.
    It's still going to give you the ability to tune your loads to your rifle and they will be more consistent than factory big ammo plant ammo.
    Though I have added and changed out a few pieces over the years I have loaded and continue to load some outstanding ammo with the Lee Anniversary Kit my wife gave me back in the 1990s. I still use it a good bit. I like the Lee Deluxe Die set a lot too and have one for almost every caliber I own. the tools are simple but they just plain work and they are darn sure budget friendly.
    I know it's not a world record setting achievement but I loaded some 30-06 with my anniversary kit , deluxe die set, IMR4350 Sierra Game King 165gr HPBT bullets and CCI BR2 primers in Winchester brass and then fired 10 rounds into a group of .446 at 100 yards off of sand bags. I was shooting my old Savage flat back hunting rifle, a 116 FLCSAK with an old Leupold Vari X2 3-9x40. Like I say maybe not a long range world record but on that day, with that load, nothing wanted to be in the crosshairs at any range.
    You can sure spend a lot more and get a lot less.

Well thought out dies and bullet seater. I keep going back to Full length sizing with a honed neck and no button. I try other tricks but I always go back to those. Learn how to weigh powder. Get something accurate to weigh with like a Scott Parker tuned beam scale. Check and double check weights until you find the process that gets you within a tight tolerance of your desired weight. Get a new press like a Rock Crusher yada yada.....
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Banned
    To shoot 1000 you need a good rifle and good glass.

You also need a good shooter

You also need good reloads.

The basics are your best reload is no better than your setup

The basics are your best reload is no better than the shooter.

But if you have the first two, then good reload setup can make it better.

Good seaters, consistency of a round, good round fit, M die vs the plug in the sizer, full size sizing with minimum bump back, good brass (though any of it will shoot 5/9) good primer pockets,

As noted, you don't need a range finder

I know it's not a world record setting achievement but I loaded some 30-06 with my anniversary kit , deluxe die set, IMR4350 Sierra Game King 165gr HPBT bullets and CCI BR2 primers in Winchester brass and then fired 10 rounds into a group of .446 at 100 yards off of sand bags.
    Maybe not record setting but 10 rounds into .446 at 100 is very good shooting. I am happy with that with 5 rounds (I want better , would like to get consistent .250, but getting there is another matter!)

Basic Member
    Am still using a single press. Cheap enough that you can spend the extra money on quality bench rest dies. Don't buy standard dies. They work but since changing to forester dies, helped tighten up my groups for my 308 and 338LM. Worth every penny. You will need a chronograph too so you can actually see what's coming out of the barrel.
    Savage 10 FCP-SR 308, 300BO PCS

I ran into a problem using Forster sizing dies for my 260 rem and Lapua brass. Therefore I recommend the Redding type S dies.. The Forster sizing die is too small a diameter for Lapua brass and crushes the necks... The Redding S dies use different sized bushings that you can get very specific sizes... I run the .292 & .293 bushings for sizing Norma & Lapua brass now. The Forster seating die I've had no issue with even when seating the very soft jacketed ELD-X bullets.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SageRat Shooter View Post
    I ran into a problem using Forster sizing dies for my 260 rem and Lapua brass. Therefore I recommend the Redding type S dies.. The Forster sizing die is too small a diameter for Lapua brass and crushes the necks... The Redding S dies use different sized bushings that you can get very specific sizes... I run the .292 & .293 bushings for sizing Norma & Lapua brass now. The Forster seating die I've had no issue with even when seating the very soft jacketed ELD-X bullets.
    I love Redding S dies. I have many and they produce very high quality results. But the Forster dies are excellent quality as well. You can send them to Forster to have the neck opened up to your spec for a very small fee. I have done that many times and the results are excellent as well.

Randy

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SageRat Shooter View Post
    I love Redding S dies. I have many and they produce very high quality results. But the Forster dies are excellent quality as well. You can send them to Forster to have the neck opened up to your spec for a very small fee. I have done that many times and the results are excellent as well.

Randy

Basic Member
    [QUOTE=RC20;416029]To shoot 1000 you need a good rifle and good glass.

Good seaters, consistency of a round, good round fit, M die vs the plug in the sizer, full size sizing with minimum bump back, good brass (though any of it will shoot 5/9) good primer pockets,

You failed to mention the most important thing, that being luck.
    It goes like, hey yesterday I was red hot and today I cant hit anything.
    There are a lot more (potential) record holders than there are or ever even has been actuall record holders.
    And we all know exactly whats required to be one. lol

I would personally suggest the O P just go shoot at a gallon milk jug someplace and see how it goes.
    The needs will begin to make themselves known instantly.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RC20 View Post
    To shoot 1000 you need a good rifle and good glass.
    Can't argue with any of this.

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    I would personally suggest the O P just go shoot at a gallon milk jug someplace and see how it goes.
    The needs will begin to make themselves known instantly.
    Can't argue with this either.

Thanks everyone for all the feedback. The more I've looked into this, the more the price goes up. Currently I've got the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Deluxe Reloading Kit in my crosshairs.

Good choice, The biggest accuracy improvement that can be made to any modern rifle in proper working order. And it works with all your rifles not just one. Also economical compared to many gunsmith options that may or may not help.