Thread: Where can I find MFG info for Model 116

Ranger359

Where can I find MFG info for Model 116

I am trying to determine the approximate age and value of a rifle that I am looking at... Serial number is F938890... It is Black on Black. Metal finish is worn and minor scaring on stock as a everyday shooter... 3-9 x40 scope...

Basic Member
    What do you mean by "Black on Black"?

116's are stainless steel long actions. If it has a blued action and barrel it is likely a model 110. What cartridge is it chambered for? What make and model is the scope? can you post pics? Is there any rust or scratches in the finish? Is it Gloss blued? Matte blued?

Banned
    Ok, how about a caliber?

1989 to 2001. Pre Acu trigger (came in with G)

If you have a 7.5 Swiss, its priceless.

Otherwise by comparison, Cabella has a 308 Short action on sale with a heavy barrel , TBR for $318 (with rebate) and acu trigger.

Prices have dropped, If I was after a receiver I would offer you $200, its only value is the TBR, you need to put a trigger in it or do the research to find out how to adjust the old one.

They simply are not going to sell for a lot. GB has zillions that you can get cheaper on sale at a store.

What they are worth to you as a target or hunter, different story.

It is not a 116 per your description.

Banned
    Echo?

I have a 116 that starts with an F. Called Savage they said it was 1996 I think. Mine is black syn stock and stainless 30-06 believe they call it the "weather warrior"? Call Savage they'll tell you month and year of manufacture

Just to clarify, S.atkeson, There was probably one of each centerfire model that Savage makes with a serial number beginning in F.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Just to clarify, S.atkeson, There was probably one of each centerfire model that Savage makes with a serial number beginning in F.
    So what is the difference between the ones with a G and those with an F?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

From the beginning. A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I.........

"Echo?"----Yes, Since the original question from the OP was about verifying the the information he had on this rifle, I was confirming what Foxx had implied. It was beginning to be obvious the thread was WANDERING with things like cartridge, caliber, retailer and value. Topics that had nothing to do with the original question. Nice try.

Banned
    I was trying to establish some kind of value for it. The OP did ask for that from my deep interpretation of the questions.

Not likely but if it was a rare odd combo caliber (as indicated by the silly suggestion of 7.5) it might have more value.

Maybe I am getting senile, it seems pretty clear to me, but?????????

approximate age and
    value of a rifle

Quite a few in the mid 90s had the F serials. I know I have a couple from that time period that start with F.
    If it is black and it's a 116 it sounds as if someone may have painted or applied an aftermarket finish to the stainless so that it wouldn't stand out when trying to stay concealed. I used to put a camo gun sock on mine, but realized the mostly matte stainless finish wasn't that reflective or that big of a deal.
    It's going to be one of the older flat backs which make great project rifles. They came with 3 screw triggers which can tune up very nicely to a very crisp no creep pull of about 2#. The dual pillar bedded synthetic stocks dont have all the voids around the recoil lug or rear action pillar like the newer ones so they are easy to bed. The bolt lift kit modification fits right in the old style bolt under the bolt assembly screw with little fuss. The buttplate and recoil pad mount as a straightforward affair making shortening these stocks a snap if you want to cut some off. The biggest complaint of these by Savage fans was the flex in the stock, primarily the fore end. You can indeed take your hand and squeeze the tip of the fore end into the stock and make it touch but after several decades I have never had a problem with one making contact under real world hunting or bench conditions. The only one I have ever had a problem with making contact was a long heavy barreled 110FP that didn't have much barrel channel and only then when it was on a bi pod which gave it enough leverage to actually flex. (the newer models accustock fixed this perceived transgression)

Here's a little history back in the late 1980s a man came along named Ron Coburn and reorganized Savage Arms rescuing them from bankruptcy in 1989. He did away with a lot of product lines (all 11 were losing money) and focused on quality and the 110 based product line (110 thru 116) which was Savage Arms bread and butter. In 1995 with some investors he bought the company and started offering a lot of what were at the time gunsmith only options on factory rifles. Hence My 116 FLCSAK weather warrior in 30-06. She's a factory beauty made of weather resistant stainless and synthetic with dual pillar bedding, a detachable box magazine, a medium contour fluted barrel with the Savage adjustable muzzle brake that can be turned on or off. At the time she was fully loaded with probably the most features in the industry and $425 out the door. ( what a deal even back then) Ron Coburn had that factory making some darn fine rifles and in my opinion the quality of those rifles during that time period is second to none.
    They will shoot very well indeed and my 116FLCSAK in 30-06 (all the bells and whistles available at the time) has fired a 10 shot group of hand loads into .446 at 100 yards. Impressive by any standard and always turns heads at the range.
    Savage has continued to bring the latest in accurate rifle technology to the factory offerings and over the last few decades big green and the others have had to keep up by improving their products or fall by the wayside. So in that regard all bolt action riflemen even those who choose to shoot other brands have benefited.

As far as the value, most shooters aren't necessarily wanting to tinker on a rifle so they don't hold the pre accutrigger flatback action Savages in as high regard as those that know and do. Most shooters want the modern accutrigger accustocked rifles right out of the box so the value of the older flatbacks in average condition seems to be around the $350 range from an individual and maybe a little more retail around $400. If it has been painted or coated with a few scratches the value would most likely drop even further depending on what was used and who applied it maybe even to $250-$300. You're also going to have to look at the rings bases and scope and determine what they are worth to you as values are all over the place on those. A decent set of standard Leupold rings and bases new retails for about $50+ but they dont generally add a lot of value to a used rifle. ( the older flat ones are getting more difficult to find) Same for the scope. you need to take into account the brand and the model to assess value and weather it adds anything significant (Leupold, American made Burris or old Nikon monarch for example) could add a hundred or even a few or if it's a throwaway like a Tasco, Simmonsn 8pt or Bushnell banner for example) then there's no value there at all.

Some pics and a little more info would definitely help but hopefully I've given you a little something to go on. Good luck.

S.atkeson
    G serials are later manufacture than F, and the ones I have are still flatbacks so they were also most likely made in the late 90s just prior to the intro of the accutrigger. My G models came equipped from the factory with the GoshAwful "lawyer" triggers instead of the 3 screws with the sear adjustment.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.