Thread: 7mm non magnum

Basic Member

7mm non magnum

I have a 7mm Rem Mag and when I was growing up I hunted a bit with a 7x57 and really liked it. I want to keep the magnum and swap the barrel on one of my other guns to make a 7mm of some type. I just need some advice to help me decide what to do.

#1. I have a 10T in 6.5 Creedmoor, and while I got a deer with it last year, it is too heavy to hunt with again. It shoots fantastic and I couldn't bear to sell it because it shoots so nice, BUT, I haven't shot it since I got my LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor.
    I think a 7mm-08 would be a great swap. I would likely go with a Shilen heavy sporter or a varmint coutour, both of which would be much lighter than the 10T barrel. The only thing I would need is a barrel and go-no go gauges, the stock is sufficient as it is and I already have 7mm-08 reloading dies. The bonus is that I would get to keep the barrel that I know is quality.
    With the barrel nut, recoil lug, go-nogo gauges and threaded (for suppressor) 22" Shilen barrel I would be around $475 and have a kick ass gun.

#2. I have a Axis 25-06. It shoots fine, but nothing spectacular (around 1 MOA). I have a Timney trigger and a second magazine for it already. Since I would be getting a larger diameter barrel, I would need to get a stock that is suited to it. I like wood stocks and the plastic stock sucks badly anyways.
    I think a 7x57 with a wood stock and a heavy sporter barrel that is 26-28 inches long with a 1-8 twist would kick ass. My brother has dies and a bunch of brass he said I could have.
    With the barrel nut, Go-nogo gauges, 26-28" heavy sporter or varmint barrel and a wooden stock (might make one of my own but probably buy one), I would have at least $600 but probably more into it. I have always wanted a modern 7x57, but the only downside is starting with the axis.... but the worst parts of the axis would be gone.

Any insight that I am not seeing?

My vote would be for a 7mm-08, but I'm partial to it. Nothing wrong with a 7x57 though. Guess it comes down to the decision which platform you would rather start with.

But when you can't simply have one, get both! No regrets!

Team Savage
    I would want a long action for the 7x57, that way bullet seating is not a problem. Your Axis sounds like a great candidate for a barrel change, you already have a good trigger. Why do you want a long barrel for a hunting rig. I would look at something around 20 inches and a Varmint contour (read that short and fat). That tupperware stock is light and you can easily open the barrel channel. I use one on a light weight 308, spend time getting the bedding right and you will be good. Why is everyone so anal about opening a barrel channel? Dowel and sandpaper and have at it.

Spend the money you save on GOOD glass.

Bill

Basic Member
    .284 in short action or .280 long action are other options.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Banned
    I believe the 10T is a Varmint contour, just bigger end as it is 2 inches shorter.

If you got a Shilen Varmint Contour it would weigh the same (or more with longer barrel)

You can go with the lighter profile and or shorter barrel if weight is the issue.

If you want the 7 x 57 go for it, that's what this is all about.

Basic Member
    I agree if you WANT the 7 x 57 go for that. If any 7 mm then go 7-08. I also agree on barrel weight, especially if adding a supressor, it will weigh a ton with a long varmint barrel.

Basic Member
    I am pretty sure I am going to have to make a 7mm Mauser. Probably go with the heavy sporter 26" in 1-8 twist. If I am going to use it for hunting it will be out of a stand, not bush wacking (I have other guns for that). Probably go with the Boyd's Prairie hunter in Nutmeg. She is going to be beautiful!

Basic Member
    Bear in mind I have never owned one but I wonder how much is to be gained FPS wise, with the longer barrel? Now if you are going to push past the original pressures it makes sense.

However I might be way off base here too.

Basic Member
    There are two versions of the old mausers and one could take a lot more pressure than the other. I plan to load to the stronger of the two, since it is a modern rifle it should be safe.
    The manuals show that it is similar to the 7mm-08 using the lower powered loads, but in reality it should be right in between that and a 7mm Mag with a modern action.

7x57 Ackley Improved would be a sweet rig too. That case has a lot of taper and benefits greatly from being improved and will give you an extra 150-200 fps while still using a whole lot less powder than a 7mm Rem mag and very similar performance.

stomp442 read my mind. 7x57 AI or 7mm08 AI

If using a short action go with the 7-08 AI. On a standard (long) action the 7x57 AI makes more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by hereinaz View Post
    .284 in short action or .280 long action are other options.

These two are great choices
    280AI is common and a great option.

Basic Member
    I shoot 180 VLD with 8.44 twist, and 168 VLD with 9 twist.

8 twist will shoot the insane 195 bullets.

Basic Member
    the 7mm mag can be down loaded to modern 7x57 loads with H4895 and you already own it. If it were me and I was building a new rig and a suppressor was an option I would be doing a 20" 7mm08 (improved if you wish) with a heavy sporter or magnum profile and call it a day.

Basic Member
    Alright, I succumbed to an impulse gun buy and I am going to have to scrap the 7x57 idea.

I just got another 22-250 Savage FV from Cabelas. I got one in July and it shoots nice, so with the new sale I figured that I could just take the barrel off and keep it for when I burn out the barrel on the one I have. The action could be used for the 7mm-08 build.

I guess trying to rationally think this through just didn't work out this time. On the plus side I will keep my 25-06 axis for my mom to use for deer season and the 6.5 Creedmoor 10T will just sit in the safe until I decide to sell it.

Now the big question, 7mm-08 or 7mm-08 AI?