Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Deer Bullet For 223 Savage Edge

By far, and I'm sure all will agree, is bullet placement. A heart and lung shot is the best and most humane way to go.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

In my state 6mm or larger ( CT.) but many deer have been killed by 22lr, 22 mag., and of course the deerjacker's special the 22 Hornet with a 40gr. hollow point. If it was me I would use a 64gr. power point and shoot for the lungs/heart.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by rjtfroggy View Post
    In my state 6mm or larger ( CT.) but many deer have been killed by 22lr, 22 mag., and of course the deerjacker's special the 22 Hornet with a 40gr. hollow point. If it was me I would use a 64gr. power point and shoot for the lungs/heart.
    I whole heartedly agree with this statement!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted_Feasel View Post
    Hmm... almost completely contrary to what we were taught in the academy and in the military

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    Well, if you are replying to my post all I can say is I don't know what academy or military you refer to, but you were taught wrong.

Not really. What he was taught is what I was taught that massive internal tissue damage is what is desired in military ammuntion. FMJ bullets that pass through without fragmentation do not produce near the damage. Original issue M193 ammunition for the M16 used in Vietnam produced wound cavities beyond what one would expect for that caliber. The thin jacket bullet plus the cannelure caused fragmentation. The result was some horrendous wounds. Been there saw that first hand.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    Not really. What he was taught is what I was taught that massive internal tissue damage is what kills. FMJ bullets that pass through without fragmentation do not produce near the damage. Original issue M193 ammunition for the M16 used in Vietnam produced wound cavities beyond what one would expect for that caliber. The thin jacket bullet plus the cannelure caused fragmentation. Been there saw that first hand.
    Exactly what I was taught... more often than not it is the concussion from the massive energy spike that causes massive organ failure... there are instances where clean through wouldn't matter such as medulla oblingata or some other critical nervous system area

Again, have to agree with WBM. I was taught the same thing in the Air Force while going through Security Forces training.

There is a reason sniper ammunition is not full metal jacket. It is designed to get in and come apart. Berger and Barnes went round and round about fragmentation bullets vs. expansion and high weight retention bullets several years ago. In my opinion Berger won the debate.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    There is a reason sniper ammunition is not full metal jacket. It is designed to get in and come apart. Berger and Barnes went round and round about fragmentation bullets vs. expansion and high weight retention bullets several years ago. In my opinion Berger won the debate.
    All I need is one that hits paper lol

Me too.

Basic Member
    Exactly what I was taught... more often than not it is the concussion from the massive energy spike that causes massive organ failure... there are instances where clean through wouldn't matter such as medulla oblingata or some other critical nervous system area

The "massive energy spike" MAY cause permanent damage, but most often it causes only a temporary wound cavity, which may cause temporary incapacitation but not necessarily permanent damage -- unless the bullet fragments, as with the old M193 round. It was the fragmentation and the resultant damage that created the damage with those rounds, not the FPE. But that is irrelevant when we are speaking of using the .223 for deer, as the bullets used in the loads intended for big game are not FMJ designed to fragment, but controlled-expansion rounds specifically designed to expand but hold together and penetrate. Having used them on numerous deer and hogs I can testify that they produce rapidly fatal internal damage and usually exit, as a reliable big-game round should, when shots are properly placed.

Basic Member
    Like I said early on, I'm not a hunter... I just understand the ballistics of it... I've always been told deer can be tough to kill... I know I've had 2 cars and the deer won the fights... but as far as what bullet kill a deer I couldn't tell you, I know my friends here that hunt don't want the bullets exiting and they don't want to chase them... that's about my extent of knowledge on deer hunting

Basic Member
    Like I said early on, I'm not a hunter... I just understand the ballistics of it... I've always been told deer can be tough to kill... I know I've had 2 cars and the deer won the fights... but as far as what bullet kill a deer I couldn't tell you, I know my friends here that hunt don't want the bullets exiting and they don't want to chase them... that's about my extent of knowledge on deer hunting

All I can say is, if your friends are pursuing a load that won't exit, they are pursuing a folly. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a bullet that exits, as long as it does the work it needs to do on the way through. And in fact, given that often a deer, even perfectly hit with a bullet that does what it's supposed to do, will run a ways before expiring, a nice big exit hole is a decided plus. I've seen deer with heart and lungs shredded that made 250 yards -- dead every inch of they way, but didn't know it. In 54 years of killing deer I have never had a bullet fail to exit, and have never -- yet-- lost a deer that ran after the hit. In my first 40 years of deer hunting, I logged every one killed -- 220 when I finally stopped logging 'em 15 years ago, probably 35 or 40 since then. If any of your friends can top that, my hat's off to them.

Quote Originally Posted by pisgah View Post
    Where legal, the .223 can do fine work on deer. Every major manufacturer makes at least one load tailored for deer and/or hogs. They all work -- just depends on which one your rifle shoots best. My Axis loves the Federal MSR ammo with their 62 gr. Fusion bullet.
    That is your best bet Willy. Just find factory stuff your rifle likes and go with it. As long as you know the limitations of the 223 and go with them you should do fine.

Basic Member

Deer Bullet For 223 Savage Edge

As for your friends that don't like a bullet to exit that's nuts the more holes going in and out can let more blood out for better blood trails if you have to track them ! I have found with the 357 maximum pistol I use that blunt tip bullets do more shock and still exit than pointed bullets ! Normally with the Max it's bang flop ! 30+ deer in 15 yrs speaks for itself ! I also use pointed bullets in other rounds I load for but my go to round for deer is 357 Max !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    There is alot wrong with a bullet that exits where we live... it is one of the reasons you can't hunt with .223, .308 etc here is cuz there are to many other things that bullet may find if it exits... there are only a small number of center fires here you can hunt with. I think .357 mag you can if barrel is 5" or less but definatly nothing like .223 is allowed for hunting here.

Basic Member
    There is alot wrong with a bullet that exits where we live... it is one of the reasons you can't hunt with .223, .308 etc here is cuz there are to many other things that bullet may find if it exits... there are only a small number of center fires here you can hunt with. I think .357 mag you can if barrel is 5" or less but definatly nothing like .223 is allowed for hunting here.

That's understandable having to use straight wall cartridges for hunting! But here in Ga and Wyoming where I used to live the only restrictions they had was cal no less than 6 MM ! Here in Ga they passed a law a few yrs ago and said any centerfire pistol cartridge! Well do you think a 25 acp or a 380 are big enough but this is people making laws that don't understand any ballistics or nock down power ! Before they changed the law it only allowed 44 mags to be used because of the FPE it created at 100 yds !

Basic Member
    I think the idea here with the restrictions is to try and make sure the bullet isn't exiting and hitting the neighbor 1/4 of a mile away... I know certain small caliber is restricted for hunting deer here also... if I remember right, it's early season is bow and black powder then shotgun but in shotgun season .357, .44mag .357 mag are legal but only if barrels are less than a given length...

Basic Member

That's understandable having to use straight wall cartridges for hunting! But here in Ga and Wyoming where I used to live the only restrictions they had was cal no less than 6 MM ! Here in Ga they passed a law a few yrs ago and said any centerfire pistol cartridge! Well do you think a 25 acp or a 380 are big enough but this is people making laws that don't understand any ballistics or nock down power ! Before they changed the law it only allowed 44 mags to be used because of the FPE it created at 100 yds !

Basic Member
    Wow... they have changed the law here... here's the newest

Rifles chambered in .243 and .30-caliber and that have a case length of at least 1.16 inches and that have barrels longer than 16 inches are now legal for deer hunting in Indiana. Everything else, including (but not limited to) .270 Winchester, .35, .257 Roberts and .7mm Mag, remain illegal.

Basic Member
    I remember when they were talking about changing the laws here... never would have guessed it would pass... almost unanimously hunters here were against hunting with long distance rounds... they felt it took the sportsman ship out of it... don't get mad at me for saying that I'm just saying what most here said during the debates

Basic Member
    Does GA have alot of hills? Never been there so I don't know what the landscape is like.

Basic Member
    Does GA have alot of hills? Never been there so I don't know what the landscape is like.

Where I hunt it is rolling hills nothing big but we have a farm we hunt about 25 miles away and it's flat as a pancake and covered in corn and soybeans!

Basic Member
    Here in Indiana it's pretty much just flat you get South there's some hills but nothing that can stop anything high-powered or that you would want to count on

Basic Member
    I just read that they change the laws here like one or two years ago I never thought I would see the day where anything high-powered could be used here

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast