Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Deer Bullet For 223 Savage Edge

Basic Member

Deer Bullet For 223 Savage Edge

Just wondering if anyone out there has done any white-tail deer hunting with a 223 caliber. I have the Edge in 223 which is a 1 in 9 twist rate and was wondering if the twist rate would stabilize a 62 to 75 grain bullet, or whether I may have to stay with a 55 gr bullet and just go for a neck shot.

Basic Member
    I'm not a hunter but my brother is a big hunter and he would be very against using something so light to hunt a deer because of the risk of it not killing it and just injuring it and making it suffer and from what I've read you should not try to put a deer down with anything less than a 75 grain because of those risks but again I'm not a hunter so just my 2 cents on what I've heard

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    I have used Federal Premium with 55gr Trophy Bonded Bearclaw in 22-250 out to 200 yards on Mule Deer does, never needed a followup shot. I have a friend who has used an AR in 223 to take antelope and I believe his last one around 300 yards. I can ask what bullet he used but I think you're on the right track looking at those bullet weights.

Basic Member
    Right on, like I said I'm not a hunter so I really don't know... it actually came up with my brother one time because I have a 22-250 (way more energy than .223 or 5.56) and he and his friends said they would not want to try because they would be afraid the deer may not go down and suffer and they may have to track it for miles. My 22-250 has 24" 1/12 barrel and won't stabilize a 75gr bullet.. I have to stick with 55-62gr range.

Basic Member
    He told me that he took two doe, one at 140 and one at 350.

Basic Member
    With a 22-250 I wouldn't doubt it... they are sending bullets up to 4300 fps... that's alot of energy... the are very flat, fast and accurate but usually the .224 rounds are more geared towards varmint sniping :)

Basic Member
    First check if it is legal in your state to hunt deer with a 223. Also depends where in the country as the deer are not all the same size across the country. If legal I would wait for a clean neck shot. I've shot 62 grain fusions out of my AR 1:9 16" barrel and they seem to stabilize fine. I wouldn't be too confident in the 75grain mostly 1;7 guys shoot those.

Basic Member
    I have tried the Fusion 62g ammo but my rifle doesn't seem to "like" those.
    prdatr, did your friend go for heart/lung shots, or head/neck area,? What bullets was your friend using? BTW, I don't load my own ammo so I have to get what there is on the shelf.

Basic Member
    He used a 60 gr Vmax and lives in Wyoming so I would imagine a heart lung shot which is common place for most western style spot and stalk hunting. I'll ask about shot placement and I know in the southeast neck shots seem to be the norm.

Basic Member
    He got back to me and yes, heart lung shots and both times the bullet exited. Hope that helps.

http://www.speer-bullets.com/ballist...ail.aspx?id=14

I would like to think thies would be pretty devastating.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by prdatr View Post
    He got back to me and yes, heart lung shots and both times the bullet exited. Hope that helps.
    I think from a ballistic standpoint you don't want the bullet to exit.. you want as much, preferably all the bullets energy to be absorbed by the vital organs of the deer helping ensure it's quick demise. When a bullet exits that means all of its energy wasn't absorbed by the target and that increases the chances of it not being a humane or quick kill.. maybe look for a bullet that has a better expansion rate when it hits soft tissue. I believe the hornaday bullets are deeper penetrating before they expand. Something like the SGK may expand better.. again, not a hunter but I do really take pride in "trying" to understand ballistics. At any rate it's probably worth exploring:)

Basic Member
    The best rated bullet for that application is the Sierra 65 gr Game King.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    The best rated bullet for that application is the Sierra 65 gr Game King.
    Sounds like his rifle can probably stabilize a 65gr also

I'd use the 62gr Fusion and either neck shots or very tight behind the shoulder.

Actually I'd use something bigger as .223 is very much marginal for deer, but that's not what you asked.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted_Feasel View Post
    I think from a ballistic standpoint you don't want the bullet to exit.. you want as much, preferably all the bullets energy to be absorbed by the vital organs of the deer helping ensure it's quick demise. When a bullet exits that means all of its energy wasn't absorbed by the target and that increases the chances of it not being a humane or quick kill.. maybe look for a bullet that has a better expansion rate when it hits soft tissue. I believe the hornaday bullets are deeper penetrating before they expand. Something like the SGK may expand better.. again, not a hunter but I do really take pride in "trying" to understand ballistics. At any rate it's probably worth exploring:)

Good point. I like it when the bullet exits as it creates a better blood trail.

Basic Member
    I also don't mind the bullet exiting as it leaves a much better blood trail. I've shot deer through the heart with a 30-06 and it still went about 50 yards. A friend shot a deer through the heart with a 300 Win Mag and it ran 50 yards. Shoot 'em through the neck or head and they don't move more than a step.

Basic Member
    I used to live in Wyoming back in the 80s and 223 was not a legal caliber back then ! 6MM was the smallest caliber you could use !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bowhntr62a View Post
    I used to live in Wyoming back in the 80s and 223 was not a legal caliber back then ! 6MM was the smallest caliber you could use !

They changed it in 2013 for antelope, deer, lion and wolf.

Basic Member
    They changed it in 2013 for antelope, deer, lion and wolf.
    That's good to know !

Basic Member
    I'm in Manitoba, Canada and I believe the minimum requirement is .22 centerfire, so I'm even considering 22 Hornet for head shots, (only in areas near civilization). The Hornady 45g 22 Hornet, at least according to Hornady ballistics, is about 40% more powerful than Rem. or Win. The Nosler 22 Hornet is even more powerful but it's quite a bit more expensive and I've never seen it a store.

Basic Member
    Where legal, the .223 can do fine work on deer. Every major manufacturer makes at least one load tailored for deer and/or hogs. They all work -- just depends on which one your rifle shoots best. My Axis loves the Federal MSR ammo with their 62 gr. Fusion bullet.

I personally, if it's legal mind you, would use as the Winchester 62gr soft tip. Your 1 in 9 twist optimal bullet weight should be 69grs. There are a few 69gr factory loads out there that have a soft tip, or a hollow point. Get a few rounds, starting at 62grs, and 69grs, and see which load your rifle likes best. Here in Texas, quite a few deer are taken legally with the .223 or 5.56 NATO. Deer here tend to run a little smaller, and are harvested cleanly with a number of rifle combinations and the .223!
    Good luck, and good hunting.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted_Feasel View Post
    I think from a ballistic standpoint you don't want the bullet to exit.. you want as much, preferably all the bullets energy to be absorbed by the vital organs of the deer helping ensure it's quick demise.
    I wish this idea had never gotten started, but it did and now it's quoted like scripture whenever the subject comes up -- even though it is nonsensical.

The total number of foot-pounds of energy an animal is hit with bears absolutely no relationship to how fast it dies. What matters is the amount of work that energy does; that is, how much fatal damage is accomplished. If, say, a .30-06 150 gr. bullet somehow stops within a deer, but does not do sufficient damage to kill, the deer does not die; it likely doesn't even fall over. By the same token, if the same-weight bullet at the same velocity, well-placed, travels all the way through wreaking havoc as it goes, you've got a dead deer. AND you've got a decent blood trail to follow just in case he doesn't keel over right there.

A shot deer does not die from blunt trauma; it dies from tissue damage resulting in vascular collapse. I once hit a buck well-known to me with a '75 Oldsmobile 98 going 55 mph. I don't know the energy involved, but do the math; it was considerable, more than any bullet from a rifle could deliver, and I hit him square. He jumped up and ran off. A month later I saw him again, limping slightly but otherwise hale and hearty. A year later, my hunting body killed him in his tracks with a .30-30 delivering but a fraction of the energy delivered by the Olds.

Think of a deer killed by an arrow. The foot-pounds of energy transferred to his body is barely enough to produce a healthy pat on the back, but the destructive work done by that small amount of energy as the arrow passes through is absolutely, quickly fatal.

Basic Member
    Hmm... almost completely contrary to what we were taught in the academy and in the military

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast