Thread: 284 Winchester

284 Winchester

Ok so I hav been reloading for 35 plus years I have 5 manuals and they all differ a bit
    but I have been researching the 284 Winchester for a new build and the conflicting info is drastic but I did notice that some test rifles were model 88s and some were bolt action model 70s but max powder charge diff of 3.5 grains and Max vel 150-200 fps
    both barrels are 22 inch
    so any one have any info on the different info
    Old Smokey

2. 09-01-2017, 04:55 PM

Basic Member
    The model 88 was a lever action so it was not as strong as the bolt action this is why there is so much difference in charge weights ! I load for the 284 and I know about a half a dozen others that do and it's a very good long range cartridge!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great cartridge that often doesn't get the respect it deserves. As bowhntr noted, the difference in data is due to the types of firearm used for testing. You can also look at 6.5x284 data to get an idea of what powders perform best in the .284 case and get an idea of where to start at with charge weights.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by bowhntr62a View Post
    The model 88 was a lever action so it was not as strong as the bolt action this is why there is so much difference in charge weights ! I load for the 284 and I know about a half a dozen others that do and it's a very good long range cartridge!

Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    Great cartridge that often doesn't get the respect it deserves. As bowhntr noted, the difference in data is due to the types of firearm used for testing. You can also look at 6.5x284 data to get an idea of what powders perform best in the .284 case and get an idea of where to start at with charge weights.
    ok thanks I like the info in the hornady book
    question is 3000fps. With 140 grain bullets realistic ??
    Old Smokey

Basic Member
    That might be a little warm ! Try some lesser grain weights at first then do a ladder test to find your most accurate not always the fastest!

That might be a little warm ! Try some lesser grain weights at first then do a ladder test to find your most accurate not always the fastest!

Yea I will it was just loads listed in my hornady book I am gonna be running it in a savage short action 22 inch barrel if it is the round I go with other option I am looking at is 25-284 but I already have 2 quarter bores
    Old Smokey

Basic Member

This is my Striker in 6.5x 284 and my Encore in 284 win

Very very nice
    Old Smokey

My current builds are all heavy long range rifles all weigh in at 10-1/2 lbs all 26 inch barrels 257 Weatherby, 270-7mm rem mag (yea I know to close to build but it was for bullet choice and 6 months later Sierra came out with 7mm 140 HPGK ), 338 win mag
    then I lost the farm I was hunting new grounds up down and thicker in spots don't want to lug heavy rifle
    my daughter is using my 7-08 as her 250 sav is a bit light with a lot of bear in area so I am looking for good short action 300 yard deer and bear gun and yea I know 308 but it's just boring the 284 looks like a nice round with a bit more pop then the 7-08
    Old Smokey

The 284 Winchester was one of two cartridges designed to give 30/'06 powder capacity to a short action cartridge. Anyone care to guess the other?
    3000 is easily attainable with 140's, we have several loads that will do it in the 6.5x284
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    The 284 Winchester was one of two cartridges designed to give 30/'06 powder capacity to a short action cartridge. Anyone care to guess the other?
    3000 is easily attainable with 140's, we have several loads that will do it in the 6.5x284
    No idea but I would love to know
    I just learned about the 284 kinda wish I had learned about it before
    Old Smokey

The second was the 350 Remington Magnum.
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    There was a third, the 6.5 Rem Mag. It and the 350 were both designed for the Mohawk 600, the 350 in 1965, the 6.5 a year later in 1966.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

The second was the 350 Remington Magnum.
    Quote Originally Posted by BillPa View Post
    There was a third, the 6.5 Rem Mag. It and the 350 were both designed for the Mohawk 600, the 350 in 1965, the 6.5 a year later in 1966.

Bill
    Very interesting Never realized either was a short action
    Old Smokey

The 6.5 wasn't really designed to provide 30/'06 capacity in a short action platform, the brass was already designed, it was simply a necked down 350 Remington Mag.

Basic Member

This is my Striker in 6.5x 284 and my Encore in 284 win

Sweet!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted_Feasel View Post
    Sweet!!

One thing I do know is on the 284 the oal is very short because of the magazine that the model 88 Savage had was short so the powder column was crowded ! When I got my barrel from MGM for my Encore I could not get the 160 gr bullets I wanted to use to seat without crushing the powder ! So I made a dummy cartridge up and sent it and the barrel back to MGM and had them re headspace the barrel ! Now it shoots so good ! My longest shot was at 300 yds so far but this year I should be able to stretch it out to 500 yds for deer hunting !

Basic Member
    One thing I do know is on the 284 the oal is very short because of the magazine that the model 88 Savage had was short so the powder column was crowded ! When I got my barrel from MGM for my Encore I could not get the 160 gr bullets I wanted to use to seat without crushing the powder ! So I made a dummy cartridge up and sent it and the barrel back to MGM and had them re headspace the barrel ! Now it shoots so good ! My longest shot was at 300 yds so far but this year I should be able to stretch it out to 500 yds for deer hunting !

I've been toying with getting a .308 target pistol. Seems like it may be fun to shoot.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted_Feasel View Post
    I've been toying with getting a .308 target pistol. Seems like it may be fun to shoot.

I have some friends out west that are shooting some very long distances with custom built bolt action pistols ! They are capable of over 1000 yds and some are doing much further very accurately also !

Basic Member
    I have some friends out west that are shooting some very long distances with custom built bolt action pistols ! They are capable of over 1000 yds and some are doing much further very accurately also !

Right now 1000 is my goal with my rifle but there are no 1000 yard here... the longest is 800... I think the military base here will open their 1000 yard to civilians if you request but I have not done it yet. We are going there Wednesday, I may ask about it then

Basic Member
    Some say the 6.5mm Rem Mag was designed to be a pocket rocket 270 Winchester.

Basic Member
    Have a 284 Win with a 33-inch barrel intended for 180-grain Bergers.

Well hey there Mr. Hammer! Glad to see you found your way back to us.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    With Reloader 17 and a 28 inch tube, my 284 winchester is duplicating the down range performance of my 7mm rem mag shooting with both shooting the 180gr berger hybrid. I seat both out to the lands.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

I am just look g for 140 and 160 grain hunting bullets so gonna get barrel with standard chamber I need 2.930 OAL to get the loads I want
    which should fit my shout action savage just fine
    Old Smokey