Thread: Savage 10 Max1

black frog

Savage 10 Max1

Anyone have the Model 10 Predator Hunter Max1 with the Accutstock and fluted barrel?

I just ordered one in 22-250 and hopefully will have it in the next week. Just wondering if anyone else here has had experience with that model...

Basic Member

Re: Savage 10 Max1

I had never seen one until I saw your post and looked it up. Nice looking rifle. I wouldn't mind having one of those myself in 243.
    16-223, 10 223, 10 FCP 308, 111 30-06, 110 30-06, 111 6.5x55, 112 338-06/6mm Rem, 110 300 WinMag,

black frog

I think they are fairly new, maybe came out last year? I haven't seen many of them for sale on GunBroker either. Once and a while they pop up, but nothing like the regular Model 10 Predator with the full camo barrel.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/m...ATORHUNTERMAX1

Thought I'd take a chance to tinker with something new....

Basic Member

Senior Frog,

I just bought one in 243. I have yet to put a full box of shells through it. I searched the internet far and wide for info and it has always met with positive reviews. A lot of folks get the MAX1 confused with the regular non-Accustock version. I have a recent thread in this forum as my scope seemed a little bit off and I have yet to figure out what part is responsible for it. A good bit of windage adjustment brought it to zero though, enough to blast a couple groundhogs.

I kinda wish I had the 22-250 but decided the 243 would make it a dual season gun for both groundhogs and deer (we need 224 cal or higher in Virginia for deer).

I haven't seen any workmanship issues.

black frog

thanks for the reply!
    A lot of folks get the MAX1 confused with the regular non-Accustock version.
    That is for sure- almost everyone keeps referring to the full-camo normal 10 Predator Hunter when I inquire about this.

So I did finally get my Max1 22-250, did a full cleaning to get all the factory packing off and mounted my scope.

With the deals right now on the Vortex Vipers, I went with a Viper 4-12x. I didn't want something too big/bulky on top as this will mostly be a coyote gun, not a PD gun and I will be walking with it too. So I didn't think I needed more than 12x for shots out to maybe 350 at most where we hunt.

[img width=600 height=449]http://www.blackfrogmusic.com/pics/temp/bench1.jpg[/img]

I usually shoot, then clean, and repeat that for 3 shots while getting the scope decenlty on paper.

I had some Federal 55gr factory ammo, and that did not group the best, around 2" at 100yds. I'll admit I was a little worried....
    I know the 22-250 can be very finicky as to what ammo works best with a certain barrel length and twist rate, so I also had some Winchester 50gr to try.

That was much better:

[img width=412 height=450]http://www.blackfrogmusic.com/pics/temp/max1.jpg[/img]

I had a several groups like this with the 50gr ammo, so I think I'm on the right track.
    And if this was just with factory ammo, I'm excited to think about what some well-made handloads might do!
    ....but then I'm thinking, why bother to handload this when factory ammo will shoot like that....