Thread: Thinking about an Axis

Team Savage

Thinking about an Axis

I haven't posted in a loooong time.
    Our daughter has kept me pretty busy. She turns five this October, so I'm just now getting back in to shooting and re loading.
    I have a LH center feed model 10 that I put a Shilen 260 barrel on. It's a great shooter, but very heavy.
    Looking around, I found that after rebate, I can get a LH Axis in .243 for about $200 before tax and transfer.
    For a "plinker" and varmint/deer gun, are these enjoyable? I'm looking for something low recoil as I have been suffering from more back problems from the Army.
    I also looked at the 7-08, but I don't know if it is necessary to go up in caliber for what I'll be doing.
    Not looking for a .223, as I have many AR rifles to cover that. Now that being said, I also have 2 AR rifles in 6.8 SPC, so I wonder if I really need another rifle....yes, I think I do.
    Anyway, it looks like these can shoot. Is there a stock upgrade that isn't too expensive?
    Should I just save up some more and get a "nicer/more expensive" rifle like another 10?

Basic Member
    This is a left handed Boyd's thumb hole on an Axis. It runs about $185 (I got a colored laminate with the high-end finish).

The 11/111Trophy hunter line is the one I would recommend... Axis leaves too much to be desired IMO to be the best option. It requires too many upgrades to start with to make it a good rifle (opinions will vary though). I bought one in 22-250 for a prairie dog gun.... The only thing left on it that is an Axis, is the action and the recoil lug system.

The 12FV (through Cabelas) is another entry level rifle to start with, which I would also recommend over the Axis... You can get it in 6.5 Creedmoor now. a 7-08 gets pretty much the same results down range.

Basic Member
    Go with the 10. I'm not a fan of the Axis recoil lug design. Did a bedding job for a friend on an Axis with a Boyd stock, what a PITA. Not to mention the plastic bottom end. The little plastic thingy that holds the magazine in broke. I'll give Boyd's customer service credit, they did a good job getting a replacement part out but I'm just waiting for it to break again. There is a metal upgrade which includes pillars, another $30. Then on top of of all the little things it doesn't shoot all that good. It shoots around an MOA but the fliers are killing any kind of consistency. Go with the 10.

Quote Originally Posted by 65Whelen View Post
    I'm not a fan of the Axis recoil lug design. Did a bedding job for a friend on an Axis with a Boyd stock, what a PITA. Not to mention the plastic bottom end. The little plastic thingy that holds the magazine in broke. I'll give Boyd's customer service credit, they did a good job getting a replacement part out but I'm just waiting for it to break again. There is a metal upgrade which includes pillars, another $30. Then on top of of all the little things it doesn't shoot all that good. It shoots around an MOA but the fliers are killing any kind of consistency. Go with the 10.
    Amen Man!! A new barrel will bring it down below MOA (1/2 inch) but you might as well upgrade to start with (the 10/110 or 11/111 series).

Team Savage
    Okay, sounds like an axis is off the table. It's been a while since I put together my last savage. Are the current models center feed and the same stock system? Detach mags?

not sure how long it's been since you worked with one last, but yes, most are center feed with a DBM... Stocks have had a variety of changes over the last 3 years anyway, you'll have to look at the specs for your specific rifle.

Basic Member
    As a casual plinker/varminter/deer rifle, the Axis will do anything a rifle costing three times as much will do, and only your wallet will know the difference. If you use a bipod, the stock replacement is a good idea; otherwise, the standard stock is fine.