Thread: gunsmith to rechamber barrel

Basic Member

gunsmith to rechamber barrel

Who can re-chamber a barrel for a decent price? I want to take a factory 1/9 223 barrel and re-chamber it to 22-250. Maybe do a couple AI conversions also.

What area of the country are you in, as there is a good smith here in Philadelphia

Basic Member
    Memphis. Can ship.

Incoming PM
    300WSM 26" 1:10 Med. Hvy. Varmit McRee Precision

Apache
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    I did that with my model 12 223 seven or eight years ago. Went to the AI chamber and its worked out well.
    However, I later bought another model 12 in 223. DUHH.
    Think before you jump, not after.
    For example the bolt face and magazine wont work which also adds to the total cost.
    Both are fine cartridges, no reason not to own both.

Basic Member
    Not your question but it may not be worth the cost. Also, it's very likely that you'll be on your own if you end up unhappy with the results as it would be hard for a gunsmith to take responsibility for what the last guy did which is what he is doing by chasing a factory setup. Might be money ahead to get a new pre-fit from one of the many who offer them.

No offense meant, just free advice from the Internet

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbflyer View Post
    Not your question but it may not be worth the cost. Also, it's very likely that you'll be on your own if you end up unhappy with the results as it would be hard for a gunsmith to take responsibility for what the last guy did which is what he is doing by chasing a factory setup. Might be money ahead to get a new pre-fit from one of the many who offer them.

No offense meant, just free advice from the Internet
    Well speaking from my own experience doing exactly what your thinking of.
    If the gun shoots well now, and its done properly, theres no reason to believe it wont shoot well after.
    The issue for me was that I wanted a lighter more all round use 223 with a detachable magazine.
    So I rechambered the model 12 to 22x250 AI, and bought a beautifull lefty CZ 527 in 223.
    About 4 months later, and 3 different CZs, I finally got a refund for the price id paid minus the 6% sales tax from CZ.
    So I bought yet another model 12 in 223 and have been happy ever since. (except for the wasted money on the chamber job and parts.)
    But, but but, I also horse traded for yet another beautifull light 223, this one being a Ruger Hawkeye.
    Probably as nice looking as the CZ overall, but no detachable magazine.
    And guess what?, it shoots just as lousey also.
    If your gonna shoot it at a turkey, pick one that's part of a flock.

Banned
    I read a while back that by the time you get done with shipping costs, the work costs you are pretty well up to a pre fit barrel cost.

Basic Member
    ^^^^^^^ exactly. You can find a good used one here, but it'll likely be a 12 twist, or buy a new barrel. I bought a new X-caliber 28 in, 8 twist off a member here. Shoots great and was a lot cheaper in the long run.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Basic Member
    The gun was parted together from scratch with an 308 bolt face. I already accumulated 223/22-250/and a 243 barrel for 30-40$ each. I can get the 223 barrel chambered to 22-250 and be able to shoot much heavier bullets with the 1/9 twist. Its also the factory light contour like I like and the matching blued finish. So I would have about 150 in the barrel in all vs 300+ for a new one contoured,chambered, and blued like I want it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adam38654 View Post
    The gun was parted together from scratch with an 308 bolt face. I already accumulated 223/22-250/and a 243 barrel for 30-40$ each. I can get the 223 barrel chambered to 22-250 and be able to shoot much heavier bullets with the 1/9 twist. Its also the factory light contour like I like and the matching blued finish. So I would have about 150 in the barrel in all vs 300+ for a new one contoured,chambered, and blued like I want it.
    Call Tom at Rytek Gunshop in Emporium PA. 814 486 3188
    He has the reamer for the AI chamber and will be very fair on cost.
    Mine shoots the 69 gr Sierras very well. Actually it shoots everything well.
    Tom is about 80 and dosent arrive in his shop early, and takes a long lunch from about 1 till 3.
    And on nice early fall days might just decide to ride the Harley someplace.

Looking to do exactly the same thing for the same reason plus my 223 barrel is threaded already. Any luck finding a smith to do this for a reasonable fee?

Basic Member
    http://kinnearriflecompany.com/ will do it for $75. He will want your action also though. He knows me, but anybody else he doesn't trust to get the headspace right.
    Tell him Bart sent ya.

Basic Member
    Devin at sinarms rechambered my 223 to 223AI a few years ago