Thread: Axis for daughter?

Axis for daughter?

I have a 17 year old daughter who happens to have picked up some my interests, like firearms and blades. I have been knocking around the videa of getting her an axis ll compact muddy girl combo in .243 (she likes the camo pattern). I have seen one at wally world for just under 400. However I do have an old 3x9 Bushnell scope lying around.
    I have read everything from they are junk to outstanding rifles.
    Lookin for input from the owners or shooters of these. Thanks gang.

Other options 11 Trophy Hunter in 243 or 7mm08 11 Lady Hunter in 243, 7mm08 or 6.5 Creedmoor Or any rifle in those calibers, you could even have the barrel cut down to 20 inches. I am prejudiced against the Axis due to the original version. Things have probably changed............
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    How much and what type of shooting do you expect she will be doing? Maybe a bolt action .22 to let her hone her skills on first... But there is nothing "wrong" with the Axis. The stocks are flexy junk, but if you want to take 1 shot to harvest a deer it's fine.

Basic Member
    Make no mistake, you can buy a better rifle than the Axis. But for what they are -- low-budget-level hunting rifles -- they are among the best available. Those who put them down for the most part are those who have bought them expecting to get a $750 rifle for $250. I've been a shooting/hunting enthusiast for over 50 years, among the many rifles I own are two Axis rifles, and they are accurate and excellent in the roles for which they were purchased.

Chris M
    I shoot 1 moa at 100 yards with mine after sight in. I have zero complaints. Mine came with a Nikon bdc 3x9 40mm. For the $350 I spent I got a hell of a rifle for my kids to plink with. .223 is easy for the youngins to shoot.

Tomorrow I'm stretching it out to 300 yards and I'll give you a report then.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Axises aren't junk by any means, but they are cheap in a big way. The cheapness lends itself to some drawbacks, but I still love it for how interesting the design is! With the Accutrigger, the Axis II is well suited to its role as an entry level hunting rifle.

I've been playing with a Remington 783 recently. My local Dunhams had them on sale for $300, and there is a $40 rebate through Remington. I'll stop short of calling it an "Axis killer", but it is almost identical to the Axis II with a much more robust stock at a standard Axis price.

Quote Originally Posted by DrThunder88 View Post
    Axises aren't junk by any means, but they are cheap in a big way. The cheapness lends itself to some drawbacks, but I still love it for how interesting the design is! With the Accutrigger, the Axis II is well suited to its role as an entry level hunting rifle. I've been playing with a Remington 783 recently. My local Dunhams had them on sale for $300, and there is a $40 rebate through Remington. I'll stop short of calling it an "Axis killer", but it is almost identical to the Axis II with a much more robust stock at a standard Axis price.
    That is the way I feel. I didn't really put the Axis down I just feel a rifle should offer more. How much money would it take to cram a little glass in the extruder screws?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    I bought one in 243 a few months ago and put a 3x9 Zeiss Terra scope I had bought last year when Universal Mania had them for under $200. It was shooting right at MOA with Federal 100gr Softpoints. The trigger was very heavy so I opted for a Rifle Basix trigger ($84) and it is at just under 2#'s and now I can get groups at .75 MOA. I think I torqued the stock to about 45 in pounds.
    I plan to use this for Coyotes and Javelina.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    That is the way I feel. I didn't really put the Axis down I just feel a rifle should offer more. How much money would it take to cram a little glass in the extruder screws?
    Is it the composition or the structure? If I'm right about the Axis design philosophy, my guess would be the latter. I would bet Savage uses the same 30% glass mixture every one else uses (and Savage uses on other rifles), because they have to order those pellets by the truckload anyway. The Axis mold was probably designed to use less material than others. I guess I'll be weighing and measuring some stocks tonight!

I own an Axis II XP in .223 (sorry, no muddy girl pattern here ). Seems like it would be a fine starter rifle to me. One caveat: if you're shooting heavier loads, you'll want to either swap out the stock or step up to a rifle with a better stock. The composite stock is fine for my .223, but I suspect shooting .308 would make that composite stock flex a ton - might be able to hold accuracy somewhere around minute of broad side of barn. Still one heck of a rifle for the price point - basic scope and AccuTrigger included for mid to high 3's.