Thread: Scope quality on 111 trophy hunter?

Thunder43

Scope quality on 111 trophy hunter?

Wondering how decent the 3-9x40 Nikon BDC is on the package rifle. Seems to be a white labeled prostaff. What say you? Is it downspecced? Should I run it or put a leupold on it like the rest of my rifles?

Basic Member
    Never got a package nikon, but all my package scopes I give away with the rings... Although, I have put the package scopes on one of my plinker .22.

Others talk about boat anchors.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

It's your typical run of the mill wal-mart blister pack scope. Nothing to write home about. Added to the package for that occasional shooter who buys a rifle, sights it in, shoots his deer, and then stows it away until next year. About as useful to a regular user as a sling made of paper.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

I just sold mine on Ebay and put the money toward my Vortex. It is perfectly functional for the typical orange army hunter.
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]

Thunder43
    Thx. Confirms my suspicions. I have a VX3i Leupold that may end up on it then...

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder43 View Post
    Wondering how decent the 3-9x40 Nikon BDC is on the package rifle. Seems to be a white labeled prostaff. What say you? Is it downspecced? Should I run it or put a leupold on it like the rest of my rifles?
    From what I have been told its just a unbranded nikon prostaff. Not a exceptional scope but far better than the typical blister pack walmart scopes.

Ok mine does well, 308 11 spot on haven't shook loosen 300 rounds

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    They are what they are !!!!

Thunder43
    I called Nikon, and they confirmed that it was a prostaff....if rep can be trusted. Not bad entry level glass, but still may put a VX3i 2.5-8x36 on it --if it shoots well-- and call it a day.

Banned
    They are what they are !!!!
    Isn't everything?

I got one in a package, my motto is never let a decent scope go, you never know when you want a quack grab and cross check another one.

right now its on a K31 and doing just fine. As that's never going to be a sub MOA rifle, good use for it.

I would happily hunt with it (back when I was). Good basic scope in my view.

Basic Member

Scope quality on 111 trophy hunter?

Shooting decent groups with mine. For $400 I doubt you will find many combos out there that will shoot sub 1" right out of the box. I've got some high dollar scopes and will likely use them when the weather gets crappy but feel comfortable with the Nikon on a cheap rifle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thunder43
    Did much better than $400 actually. I got the rifle at Gander the day before they turned off the lights for $250. Plus $50 rebate = $200 for full package. Wasn't in market, but didn't have a 30-06. So it came home with me!

Basic Member
    Pretty good deal. 30-06 was the only thing I had for many years. I'll bet that $200 package kills them just as dead as a $3,500 combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    My main concern with the Nikon scopes is how well they hold up in the pouring rain we have out here during the prime Blacktail hunting period.
    Most of my scopes are Leupold and I've never had an issue with them.

Team Savage
    I've bought several Savage TH XP rifles over the years to get parts for various builds. The scope looks like a Nikon ProStaff BDC without all the ugly branding painted and glued to the tube. They are what you would expect from a $100 to $150 starter scope. I sell them as new take-off with rings for what I can get on Ebay ($75 - $100). Then spend a little bit more for a scope backed by a no-hassle warranty.

Basic Member
    Why would you pay $100 to $150 for a scope you can only get $75-100 for?
    Seems you could cut the hassle by just buying a rifle without the scope and buy the one you want.

Sometimes the package rifles get steeply discounted by Buds, Cabellas, Dicks, Big-5, Sportsmans Warehouse, Bi-Mart, etc to the point that they're cheaper than (or around the same price as) buying the rifle by itself. In that case, you're $75-$100 ahead selling the scope on ebay or craigslist.

Also, guys will buy a rifle (or a package) just for the action, and will sell the cheap scope, rings, barrel, and stock to recoup a good chunk of their investment. The next time Sportsmans Warehouse, Big-5, or Dicks does a deep discount on the regular Savage sporters or sporter packages I'll likely grab one for the action and sell off the culls to recoup $ towards buying the pipe, scope, and stock that I want to build my rifle with....

Team Savage
    The one that I have fooled with came on a 308 package. Optics are fine, but I wouldn't trust it in the rain or severe temperature changes. My biggest complaint is the adjustments.... almost have to grind a tool to fit the very shallow moon shaped slot.

Bill

Basic Member
    A penny works well on mine.

Basic Member
    They work good,,,but suck in low light.

I bought one of the package deals in a model 11 earlier this year. It's a Nikon prostaff and works fine for its intended purpose. I got mine for a steal through Experticity when savage had some incredible deals. My only regret is I should have bought more. I'm in it less than a bare bone axis.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyShackle View Post
    I bought one of the package deals in a model 11 earlier this year. It's a Nikon prostaff and works fine for its intended purpose. I got mine for a steal through Experticity when savage had some incredible deals. My only regret is I should have bought more. I'm in it less than a bare bone axis.
    Wow. That was a steal. If a fellow had the available $ when a deal like that came up, he'd have enough new actions on the shelf for several projects......

I posted on here when they had the hot deals. Signing up on experticity isn't real straight forward though, and I think it confused some folks. But if savage has the big discounts again it's well worth the $ if you qualify

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyShackle View Post
    I got a LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor and a 300 WSM bear hunter.... they were pretty amazing deals!

Quote Originally Posted by want2ride View Post
    I got a LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor and a 300 WSM bear hunter.... they were pretty amazing deals!
    I was going to procure another but figured I'd wait to space out my purchases a month or so, but then they dropped the big discounts. I should have just doubled down. If they bring the discounts back in the new year I will be all over it!