Thread: New to forum question about a 110 FP Tactical?

New to forum question about a 110 FP Tactical?

I'm am finally looking to upgrade my 110 that I have owned and love shooting and hunting with since 1994 when i bought it. It is the LA chambered in .308W. I know there are many options and lately i have been looking at going with a Choate tactical stock and having the CDI precision bottom metal done in order to use the Magpul AICS poly mags. another option i have been looking at has been the MDT LSS-XL chassis to drop it in. I have plenty of spare AR parts to make this a viable option but my only major concern is the cost of the metal AICS mags and the fact that I will have to put the shorter .308W in a longer mag designed for the .300WM or .30-06. Will this feed reliably or will there be a lot of hassles with it?

I don't really hunt much but have been getting more in to learning precision shooting and it is a good mind clearer from the day to day stresses.

Any ideas, experiences you have would be greatly appreciated and Thank you in advance.

No Input about it?

Hopefully magpul will come out with the long action mags soon. Other than that you gotta pony up the $. The rounds could possibly nose dive. Solution to that it to play with spring position an tension up front.

You can do as you wish. A lot of guys spend a lot of money on their rifles chasing accuracy without starting at the starting point. With an old flatback 110FP tactical I would
    1) Tune the old 3 screw trigger
    2) Buy some handloading components or a hand loading starter kit if you dont have one. (cheaper than most stocks) I'd probably start with some match kings or HPBT game kings, and some Varget with CCI BR2 or Fed 210M primers in winchester brass. This part is trial and error just keep trying components seating depth etc.the load is there somewhere.
    3) Giggle when I find the load that puts em all in one hole or at least touching. (yes many if not most of the older FPs will do this with the right load)
    There's my $.02
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    If you go with the long action MDT chassis and LA mags, I believe you will have to mill the rear of your LA/SA action to accept LA mags.
    CDI makes a LA/SA bottom metal. (Recently used one on a LA/SA 300 BLK build)

If you do mill the action and use LA mags you should not have any problems feeding the 308. I have a 1903 Springfield presently chambered in 308 and the rounds feed reliably in an action that has been a 30-06 and a 6mm X 284 in its life. You will have to remove the bolt extended front baffle and replace with a standard front baffle.

I built a .243 on a long action (donor .270), Choate stock inleted for CDI LA to SA bottom metal. It feeds without any problem with AI .308 magazine. I cant speak for polymer magazines.
    300WSM 26" 1:10 Med. Hvy. Varmit McRee Precision

Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    You can do as you wish. A lot of guys spend a lot of money on their rifles chasing accuracy without starting at the starting point. With an old flatback 110FP tactical I would
    1) Tune the old 3 screw trigger
    2) Buy some handloading components or a hand loading starter kit if you dont have one. (cheaper than most stocks) I'd probably start with some match kings or HPBT game kings, and some Varget with CCI BR2 or Fed 210M primers in winchester brass. This part is trial and error just keep trying components seating depth etc.the load is there somewhere.
    3) Giggle when I find the load that puts em all in one hole or at least touching. (yes many if not most of the older FPs will do this with the right load)
    There's my $.02

Thank you and I do already have access to reloading items in which I'm working with to get dies, my dad already has the equipment I just have to get the stuff to do .308 Win.

Also the CDI LA/SA bottom metal is that I was looking at. I did email MDT about using the LA chassis with the SA round had they did mention the machining of the receiver and also that there could be a problem with the bottom round sliding forward in the mag and causing feeding issues when the top round is striped off the top. As of now I'm looking at a new stock to see what i can have it put in or if there is enough agreement I'll just keep the factory stock but I would like a more pistol grip type varmint/tactical grip just need to find the right combination of stock and price, trying to keep it under $400. I like the Choate but don't know about the gap that they mention about at the action so also been looking at Bell and Carlson and the HS Precision stocks.