Thread: Possible to convert 110LA/SA .308 to LA 30-06?

sigfla

Possible to convert 110LA/SA .308 to LA 30-06?

I have a 110 LA/SA .308. I never liked the LA with spacers. I now have enough true SA .308's that it just sits in the safe unused. I would like to perform a simple conversion using old barrel rechambered to LA .30-06 or some other .30 caliber LA variant. Can this be done without too much trouble?

RBP had a much more detailed reply... So, what he said!!

Basic Member
    Gunsmith to mill the action to long action, convert and install long action mag, follower, and re-barrel.

Probably cheaper to trade someone for a long action in 30-06 who is looking for a project gun in short action calibers.

sigfla
    Its already a long action. It just has the spacers on the magazine to use .308. I was primarily wondering if any extra machining needed to be done in order to convert the .308 spacer magazine opening to a LA 30-06 opening. I would probably use new bottom metal and DBM's. Its really just the issue of the action needing to accept the non spacer'ed magazine. I was hoping I could just knock out the old spacers and magazine and replace with the LA .30-06 parts.

Quote Originally Posted by rbp75503 View Post
    Gunsmith to mill the action to long action, convert and install long action mag, follower, and re-barrel.

Probably cheaper to trade someone for a long action in 30-06 who is looking for a project gun in short action calibers.

Basic Member
    Yes it can be done but i think you would be better off finding a prefit in the caliber of your choice. By the time you pay someone to ream a old factory barrel you could have a shillen or criterion for 300ish or a er shaw for less if we are trying to stay on a budget.

Barrel swaps are no big deal. Only a few simple tools and some time learning how to do it.

Btw. If your la has the extended bolt stop/baffle that will need replaced. They are only a few dallars from midway or brownells

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Does your action look like this? If so it is a LA/SA and will need to be milled. Refer to following link for mag dimensions for staggerfeed actions.
    http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...Feed-Magazines

Banned
    So you are saying the cartridge cut out at the bottom would need to be milled longer?

I can see that, might help the OP to say it that way.

On the other hand you could make a dandy single action out of it and 30-06

I encourage you to consider 7.5 Swiss but I am biased as I think its a really cool cartridge and we need more adherents to the program!

And my 7.5 is a single action. I didn't want to mess with nor care about feeding issues.

It started out as a 116 Bottom Bolt release in 270

Its now sitting in a Boyds Thumbhole Laminate, TBR with a blind bottom and a filler (wood blocks)

Tricky part was to open up the bolt face, but I do that kind of work a lot and it went as I thought it would (knowing it might not, get a new bolt head if needed and not a whole bolt with the Savage)

Its just a a heavy bench rest gun single shot.

Basic Member
    I've never seen a long action with "spacers", to make it work for a short action cartridge. What exactly are you speaking of?
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Banned
    Bolt head I am pretty sure.

sigfla
    I am probably not describing it correctly. Its one of the older left hand Savage long actions chambered in .308. Like I said it sits in the way back of the safe for a long long time. The 300 blk conversion thread got me thinking about putting it to some use. I don't mind a new barrel rather than reaming a new chamber. I just want something I can use. I always hated the LA. I had no idea when I bought it that it would be like that.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    I've never seen a long action with "spacers", to make it work for a short action cartridge. What exactly are you speaking of?

If you remove the bolt and look down into the loading/ejection port, you should see the shelf that would need to be removed directly behind the magazine. Simply pulling the bolt back may not reveal it due to the front baffle limiting the bolt throw.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

The milling operation to open the magazine port, the magazine itself, and re-chambering....$$$$. Buy a 110 LA 30-06 savage rifle for $350 off this forum or another one. Count your blessings.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

sigfla
    Yeah I am thinking I will just sell it and put it towards a new PacNor HB barrel for my .204 CZ 527. I have been wanting a 9 or 10 twist HB for it since I got it. The LA Savage .308 just never turned me on. I dunno if a .30-06 will either to be honest. I would rather have the CZ project done.