Thread: Regulars and Newer Members Interested in PRS type Matches/Competition/Gear Etc.

Basic Member

Regulars and Newer Members Interested in PRS type Matches/Competition/Gear Etc.

I've taken notice that there has been very little activity over here. Last few posts were from back in March. This area will be one of my key focuses as a moderator for the forum. If you are interested in this type of competition please sound off in this thread! If there is more interest than I'm currently seeing I will start posting more over here and look to getting more members to do the same. Content I'm seeking:

1. Match AAR's with photo's video etc.
    2. Questions on gear being used.
    3. Match rigs, whether they are Savage or non-Savage (Barrel Nut setups preferred!)
    4. Interest in instructional videos.
    5. All around discussion of practical precision rifle/field type shooting.

I'll be working on some stuff over the next couple of weeks and try to start bettering my presentation of materials. Again please reply to this thread with your interests. Thank you for your time!

I would like to see you post some of the great learning's you have compiled into a sticky format.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member

Regulars and Newer Members Interested in PRS type Matches/Competition/Gear Etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    I would like to see you post some of the great learning's you have compiled into a sticky format.
    This is good feedback Robin! I'm thinking about doing an instructional series maybe some short videos over time. There needs to be enough interest here though in order for me to put the time into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by LoneWolf; 06-09-2017 at 07:12 PM.

Basic Member
    I'm in. Have been shooting XTC High Power service rifle for while now but just getting started with the "belly benchrest" game. put a 10 FCP SR .308 in an MDT HS3 and have been starting to work up loads for it. Nightforce BR on top. Also built out an AR15 20" Krieger 1:7.7 with a Nightforce as well. Figure I will switch hit, but the AR is really more to concentrate on learning wind calls better. We are lucky to have a very active club down here for matches. In fact, the hard thing is deciding how many you can actually make!

I'll post some pics and get some advice from you guys that know the ropes already. Haven't even really decided exactly where I fit yet.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tallwalker View Post
    I'm in. Have been shooting XTC High Power service rifle for while now but just getting started with the "belly benchrest" game. put a 10 FCP SR .308 in an MDT HS3 and have been starting to work up loads for it. Nightforce BR on top. Also built out an AR15 20" Krieger 1:7.7 with a Nightforce as well. Figure I will switch hit, but the AR is really more to concentrate on learning wind calls better. We are lucky to have a very active club down here for matches. In fact, the hard thing is deciding how many you can actually make!

I'll post some pics and get some advice from you guys that know the ropes already. Haven't even really decided exactly where I fit yet.
    A lot of XTC guys have moved over to the Practical Precision Rifle side. They got tired of always shooting the same course of fire and wanted a more eccentric match venue! Look forward to your added input.

Basic Member
    I have been shooting the PPR matches at the Aurora Sportsmen Club in north central Illinois for a couple years. This year I am participating in the Border Wars series in the north central Midwest. End of this month I am going to Iowa to help RO Jim See's match in Mount Auburn. It's been fun, but at times can also be humbling. Between the crazy positions, target size, time constraints, and shifting environmental conditions I find the matches to be challenging, fun, and always a learning experience.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CavReconScout View Post
    I have been shooting the PPR matches at the Aurora Sportsmen Club in north central Illinois for a couple years. This year I am participating in the Border Wars series in the north central Midwest. End of this month I am going to Iowa to help RO Jim See's match in Mount Auburn. It's been fun, but at times can also be humbling. Between the crazy positions, target size, time constraints, and shifting environmental conditions I find the matches to be challenging, fun, and always a learning experience.
    This is normally the case and the experience of every shooter that has taken up competing in this realm of the shooting sports! Look forward to having you included over here Cav!

Basic Member
    I loooooove good instructional vids. Reloading, barrel swaps, stock swaps, you name it.

Basic Member
    LoneWolf, I would be more interested in your experience with Mausingfield actions. For example, can a barrel from NSS work on that particular type of action like it can from a Savage. Hopefully, next year I'll be able to build a rifle off of one. I built a rifle for these types of matches, but it doesn't always feed reliably from the DBM that I have. Shoots like a dream though.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Team Savage
    Lonewolf I'm definitely interested in this thread as well. I know I have spoke with you on the matter of rifle scopes to get started with. I ultimately settled with a Burris and have enjoyed it to this point. Any info you could share on how to get involved and what is needed would be awesome. I'm shooting a creedmore built off an axis with an Excalibur barrel. While I haven't shot any big matches this lower budget rifle has done well at local shoots. In fact it shoots well enough that when I miss I can't really blame it on the darn rifle!!!

11. 06-10-2017, 11:07 AM
    Reason
    double post

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBabyMoses06 View Post
    I loooooove good instructional vids. Reloading, barrel swaps, stock swaps, you name it.
    BBM I'm currently getting a new 6.5x47 barrel to a point where I can deem it match ready! I'll put up the process I'm using over here! Depending on how it develops may consider making it an article. I'll start working on it this week. As I'm trying to prep it for it's first match outing next Sunday!

Basic Member
    I've goitten hooked but time to go to shoots is limited. Have had a Muzzle Brakes and More Beast installed on my 6 Competition Match barrel for PRS.
    6CM

LoneWolf, I hope this is okay. I thought I would post a pic of the gear that I use in matches, just to give guys an idea of what they might need.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170704_123811694_zpsu8kxtcil (1).JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	208.4 KB 
ID:	3394 The PRS type matches are so much fun and if you've been thinking about trying it....just get out there and do it, you won't regret it!!!

Basic Member
    Good post SB. I think if we start a thread specifically for match gear photo's and can get enough participation I'll make it a Sticky.

Sounds good!

Lone Wolf,

I like the idea you have hear. I'm interested in learning the science behind the long range game... I don't believe there are any kinds of these matches here in OR, but Any and all knowledge I can obtain, I'm all ears!!

There should be some club matches, just search precision rifle matches in Oregon and give it a shot!

Basic Member
    Lots of Matches in Northern, CA and Washington State. If you go to the Precision Rifle Series website and look at the club series page you can find out about the affiliated matches. Otherwise doing some search on FaceBook, I found an Oregon precision Rifle Club Page. Just have to jump in and try it! Your won't be sorry! I'm in the Military and have been able to find clubs to shoot with everywhere I've been since I started!

Thanks for the info guys... I'll have to look into that.

I started shooting PRS at our club matches in Missouri a few years ago. I've dabbled in a few different rifle games, but the precision rifle matches really grabbed my attention. I still want to shoot some F class, but I think my main focus will be PRS for the foreseeable future.

I built a 243AI on a defiance action earlier this year, but I don't really see a benefit from it versus my old savage. I plan on shooting the savage in some local matches in the near future and will report results.

Basic Member
    Glad to have you Entropic. I'm shooting back to back matches this weekend, so I'll get an AAR up later this week!