Thread: LH Axis 30-06 Moose rifle build

LH Axis 30-06 Moose rifle build

New to the forum,

I am looking into purchasing a new axis in 3006 for a moose hunting rifle.I am going to be purchasing a boyds stock in pepper laminate for this build.I am interested in the thumbhole but not 100% sure yet.I recently picked up a .LH 243 axis and it turned me on to the 3006 build.I will be moose hunting every year and also taking it now and then for whitetail as i am in Ontario,Canada.I was never a Savage man until a year or so ago and a few co workers have turned me onto the brand.I am happy and i am only looking for a solid customized rifle for under $1000 with optics.Do any of you have any customized axis for moose?.....I am hoping to have this bought and customized as soon as i get back from my september archery moose hunt....."Macho Man"

I am also trying to decide on which glass i want.I will go through work and purchase it through a pro deal,so basically i will get a $600 scope for $300.I am considering Leupold,Vortex and maybe Nikon for this rifle,i am looking for a solid 3-9x40 hunting scope.This is going to be a fun little project,I have more expensive rifles and the name brands but i want to make this rifle "my" own.I am also going to be starting to reload,just to have the winter go by quicker if i am not working or out hunting coyotes......"Macho Man"

Not sure what difference there would be between customizing and customizing for Moose.... It's the same as far as I know.

1. Trigger work or a new trigger
    2. Boyds stock is good idea... although look at Prairie Hunter type designs as well as they are close to a traditional hunting stock
    3. Pillar bed the action screws at the minimum... may need to glass bed as well. Warning!!! the glass bedding is a COMPLETE PITA.
    4. Leupold VX2 in 3-9 or 4-12 (just a recommendation)
    5. not really needed just for a hunting rifle, but you can also look at an aftermarket barrel... Through Northland Shooter Supply

You should at least take a look at them because you may want to make a precision rifle for your next project if not this one.... Trust me... You will get the bug just like the rest of us... It's an addiction!!

I am a bowhunting and archery guy who spends 99% of his time tinkering with that and i hunt with a bow 99% of the time.I am building a moose rifle to use because we cant get drawn for archery tags and i want to moose hunt.I do not think it will become an addiction tho...bowhunting is my addiction.Just looking to customize a hunting rifle that is different then the store bought ones a little..Thanks for the suggestions,i plan on trimming the spring on the trigger a lil' at a time......."Macho Man"

Right on Man... You are the first full time bow hunter I have ever seen on this site, actually wanting to build a rifle.... I guess there is always an exception to the rule... Most of us are TOTAL gun nuts... Good on ya!!

Quote Originally Posted by SageRat Shooter View Post
    Not sure what difference there would be between customizing and customizing for Moose.... It's the same as far as I know.

1. Trigger work or a new trigger
    2. Boyds stock is good idea... although look at Prairie Hunter type designs as well as they are close to a traditional hunting stock
    3. Pillar bed the action screws at the minimum... may need to glass bed as well. Warning!!! the glass bedding is a COMPLETE PITA.
    4. Leupold VX2 in 3-9 or 4-12 (just a recommendation)
    5. not really needed just for a hunting rifle, but you can also look at an aftermarket barrel... Through Northland Shooter Supply

You should at least take a look at them because you may want to make a precision rifle for your next project if not this one.... Trust me... You will get the bug just like the rest of us... It's an addiction!!
    Look at the Boyds Heritage, Prairie Hunter and Classic stocks as they're the most "traditional" styled for a hunting rifle. As for pillar/glass bedding, with the boyds stocks I really don't see a need to. I have two Axis rifles fitted with them and neither are bedded in any way yet both shoot 1/2 MOA or better with handloads. Bedding won't hurt anything, but I'd hold off and see how it shoots w/o bedding before doing it as you may find it doesn't need it. Either way, do yourself a favor and order one of these if you get a Boyds stock: http://www.v3tactical.com/front-moun...r-savage-axis/ The one Boyds includes with their stocks is plastic and is prone to breaking.

+1 on the Leupold VX-2 recommendation, and the Bushnell Elite 3500's are another great option. 1.5-6x, 2-7x or 3-9x are my preference for a hunting rifle. Usually you're in pretty thick brush for moose so a 1-4x or a 1.5-6x would probably be the best bet so you can dial them way down for those close-in shots on a moving target.

No need for an aftermarket barrel - most factory barrels shoot plenty well.

Here's a group I shot yesterday with a 22-250 Axis take-off barrel screwed onto a stock Model 11 action in a Boyds stock with no bedding. Last round bolted down stiff and is the one that printed just outside of the 4-shot cloverleaf.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01504.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	144.1 KB 
ID:	3625
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Thanks,i have been moose hunting quite a bit and i am actually looking for a longer range rifle like a 250-300 yard shot.I already have a "brush" rifle in a .35 rem that i take as well.I agree though that a new barrel or bedding isnt necessary.I may go with a browning x-bolt over this build..I just need to decide here shortly.Main reason i may switch is i want a .325 wsm or .300wsm and i can get them at a great price through work pro deals and i regret selling my x-bolt in .325 wsm...so many options and i am only buying/building one rifle for moose hunting....Thanks for the help and info.I appreciate it..."Macho Man"

Quote Originally Posted by SageRat Shooter View Post
    Right on Man... You are the first full time bow hunter I have ever seen on this site, actually wanting to build a rifle.... I guess there is always an exception to the rule... Most of us are TOTAL gun nuts... Good on ya!!
    I am not a hunting snob,i am a hardcore hunter who not only spends all his free time hunting,fishing or working on equipment but i spend 40 + hours doing it as "work" and have for a decade.I prefer bowhunting but enjoy gun hunting as well and basically anything hunting.I am also at a point where it is nice to pick up another hobby/tinkering thing..it never hurts to learn."Macho Man"

Basic Member
    It is really hard to go wrong with a Browning. I just got rid of my last browning 7mm Mag because once the barrel was shot out it just wasn't worth replacing both the barrel and throwing a stock on it AND the gun smithing fees, compared to buying a whole new rifle. I love Browning, but I would never buy one that I would ever think about swapping the barrel on after it is worn out... That is why Savages are great for a do-it-yourselfer, you can do a barrel at home! Now that I have more than the one rifle, I don't think I will probably ever wear out a magnum again, so I have been thinking about a 7mm Mag in a Tikka or Browning. Sorry, for rambling.

BTW I really like my Savage 300 WSM Bear hunter!