Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: test firing a rebarrel job - safety measures?

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by RC20 View Post
    I do want to note, if you really get a barrel clean, even a good smooth one like Shilen or my current factory Loather Walther (smoother than Shilen regulars) takes a bit of work. About 5 cycles of a brass/nylon brush and follow up with a patch run through. That's warm on the bench, more so at home. That with a very focused modern non brute force type Carbon cleaner (the old stuff even with brute force is not as good)

As rough as it was the Savages I shot for a while layered a bit of copper in the roughest places and stopped.

The key was never let the carbon build up and then layer copper over the carbon. You then get multiple layers you are trying to break through and that requires a series of Bore Tech eliminator/Carbon Killer (or equivalent )

And even supposedly good Aftermarket can be not that great. I was not impressed with the interior of the X caliber. About half way in between Shilen and Savage. That XC barrel at least showed minimum lapping work.

It also take more work to clean than Shilen or Lothar Walther (less if I do it at the range warm)

As I have the Lyman Boroscope I can see the barrel condition as well as how well the cleanup is working.

I have seen the Hammer forged, they are smooth, doesn't give you a good shooter though (it can, CZ hammers their and then does a final lap out finish that works, they also let them rust to assist in the process). Its more time than US makers go through (hammering is a serious stress inducer)
    Oh heck, I know... when I was going through breaking in my savage barrel it took ungodly amount of elbow grease, all in all I went through over 500 patches that day, I cut patches my self so they were not those tiny scrappy ones buy again for me it was really rewarding putting all the effort in and now I have a very easy to clean smooth bore and a sub MOA rifle... I get alot of people don't want to put that much time into it but I enjoy it... it feels rewarding

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Banned
    Ahhh, I get it.

Me, I like putting them together (that is fun) and then shooting them.

Even reloading is an ends to a means.

I hate cleaning

Basic Member
    Ahhh, I get it.

Me, I like putting them together (that is fun) and then shooting them.

Even reloading is an ends to a means.

I hate cleaning
    Yep:) it's all fun... I just love learning about every aspect I can... our local gunsmith here let's me come in on my days off of my regular job and work for free just so I can learn the art of gunsmithing... the money I saved initially by keeping my factory barrel let me purchase a set of Redding dies... I imagine when I wear this barrel out I will look at something that's match grade from the get go but for now I'm just working on mastering the basics and the art of precision reloading :)

Banned
    I get that. That was me 35 years ago getting into generators , switchgear and building control systems as well as the pumps, fans, boilers etc.

I took the books home and spent weekend going through them figuring out what I was missing and why.

A monk like existence for 3 or 4 years, but launched me to a fairly good career that I was never out of work through two bad recessions.

Basic Member
    If you like it, it will find it's way back:)

Basic Member

I have seen the Hammer forged, they are smooth, doesn't give you a good shooter though (it can, CZ hammers their and then does a final lap out finish that works, they also let them rust to assist in the process). Its more time than US makers go through (hammering is a serious stress inducer)
    Yes, hammer forging can induce stress. That's why there is heat treating.

More and more manufacturers are producing fine shooting rifles with hammer forged barrels. Remington, Winchester, Sako, H&K, Sig, and many more use them. Savage is about the only remaining manufacturer to use button rifled barrels.

FWIW, I bought a Rem. 5-R Milspec that shot .5 MOA out of the box with hand loads, even with the POS X-Mark Pro trigger. Also got over 10,000 rounds through it before I had to replace the barrel due to accidental damage.

There are many that feel "forging" creates a better piece of steel with the granular structure being more evenly distributed from one end to the other.

Basic Member
    I saw a show on the Military Channel the other night they're starting to experiment with composite and ceramic materials for barrels

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted_Feasel View Post
    I saw a show on the Military Channel the other night they're starting to experiment with composite and ceramic materials for barrels

Anything that can reduce weight without compromising strength and durability is being explored. Look at all the carbon fiber wrapped barrels out there now. A thin sporter like barrel wrapped with carbon fiber "reinforcement".

Basic Member
    Yep lol... it's amazing what they come up with.... 20 years from now our grandkids will ask, " grandpa... did you guys really use powder in your weapons? How did that work??"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12