Thread: savage axis bolt issues?

Basic Member

savage axis bolt issues?

Ok when I close my bolt I can see the firing pin starting to go forward to the fired position. When opening the bolt it recooks it but it's very hard and gritty feeling what would cause this? Man this thing is giving me some head aches wish I would just have bought a Remington I think.

Gritty could mean dirty or rusty. The Firing pin falling on bolt close is the sear not being caught by the trigger. Clean everything and re lube with a gun oil. Check to make sure the trigger moves freely back and forth. Probably needs cleaning and lubrication also. If necessary re adjust the trigger to make contact with the trigger before bolt close. This will ensure the trigger catches the sear. Learn "This is my rifle".
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Check your sear pivot pin. If it is in backwards, they tend to slide out one side only leaving the sear to pivot on one side of the pin.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Quote Originally Posted by zr600 View Post
    Ok when I close my bolt I can see the firing pin starting to go forward to the fired position.
    Could you elaborate on this? Does the firing pin go completely forward to the fired position or does it just start moving forward? Is it snapping forward under spring pressure or does the forward movement seem tied to the speed of the bolt handle? If it does go all the way forward, does it happen irrespective of how fast the bolt handle is moving? Have you done any work on the rifle?

Basic Member
    Ok well it will fire a round if you close the bolt all the way. You can hear the springs working as you are closing the bolt and it's hard to close the bolt not smooth and not easy seems gritty and under pressure it will fire a loaded round if you close the bolt. This is a left handed action what side should the pins go through from? The firing pins snaps forward once the bolt is close all the way like the when the trigger breaks. Does this with the safety on or off.

Basic Member
    Take pictures of the trigger group, so that we can see which trigger you have. Odds are the trigger is set to light and needs to increase the pull weight. However, Sharpshooter knows very well what he's talking about.

Also check if the firing pin starts to fall whether it's in or out of the stock to ensure nothing is binding in the stock, but again, my bet is on the trigger pull being set to light. to fix the grittiness you can blast it out with lighter fluid or I like to use Hornady one shot as well.

Basic Member
    If you can hear springs working, that's where the problem is. Is there a chance you forgot the ring between the 2 springs?
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Ok it's a Timney trigger I'll clean everything out reset the trigger and see what happens. Does it in and out of stock.

Basic Member
    Well the ring between the two spring is in the trigger and the sear I think it is pins are in that not half way out. When working the bolt nothing on the trigger or seat is moving what would cause this?

Basic Member
    OK well I put the whole trigger assembly on a whole different savage axis and that works fine with its bolt the trigger is set at about 3lbs it's a Timney trigger. It works fine in my other axis rifle l. I would swap bolts but the one with issues is a lefty and the good one is a right handed 223. So I'm kind of at a lost here thinking there is something wrong with my bolt.

Basic Member
    Dis-assemble the bolt and see what you find.

Basic Member
    Disassembled the bolt and find the spring the washer spring or what ever then the spring that holds the cocking pin in. I don't know what's going on. I have had issues when working the bolt the cocking pin decocks, so does the cocking pin as the bolt is closed decock as in it has been fired? It won't reset the trigger when you work the bolt.

Basic Member
    Ok lol I think I got everything figured out. I had the bolt 180 off so the sear wasn't contacting the cocking pin. And I reset the trigger according to Timney instructions and got it set at 2.5lbs. I think im good now proably make some rounds up tonite and go do some load development tomorrow in the morning. Thanks for all the help.

You lost the trigger return spring? Still waiting on pictures
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Which spring is the trigger return spring?