Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Savage 110 thru 116 action strengths

Basic Member

Single shot is definatly a more simple mechanism.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    About 15 yrs ago, I ran a test of different actions,(single shots vs repeaters) to find if action stiffness made any difference. I used a Douglas 22 BR 1-12 twist barrel for the test barrel using all the same loads, same cases. I used 4 different actions: a long single shot, a long repeater, a short single shot, and a short repeater. The stocks were factory BVSS stocks,(no bedding, no mods).
    I shot 5 -5 shot groups out of each specimen, over the course of 4 days, starting in the morning when conditions were ideal.
    After I compiled the data, the difference between the best agg and the worst agg out of 4 was only .058". Yes that's 58 thousandths.....over 100 shots.
    I soon figured out how stiff, "stiff enough" is. Oh, in case you're wondering.... the small agg came from the long action repeater.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Sharpshooter, so these would all have been target actions with the cute little oval ports and a large shank barrel? Would you have more concern for my lowly 12FV varmint action? There seems to be a lot less metal in my action... Just trying to make sure I understand what you are saying.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    About 15 yrs ago, I ran a test of different actions,(single shots vs repeaters) to find if action stiffness made any difference. I used a Douglas 22 BR 1-12 twist barrel for the test barrel using all the same loads, same cases. I used 4 different actions: a long single shot, a long repeater, a short single shot, and a short repeater. The stocks were factory BVSS stocks,(no bedding, no mods).
    I shot 5 -5 shot groups out of each specimen, over the course of 4 days, starting in the morning when conditions were ideal.
    After I compiled the data, the difference between the best agg and the worst agg out of 4 was only .058". Yes that's 58 thousandths.....over 100 shots.
    I soon figured out how stiff, "stiff enough" is. Oh, in case you're wondering.... the small agg came from the long action repeater.
    What yardage were these tests done.. I ask because at 100 yards, alot of semi autos will print as well as a bolt buy at 1000.... not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by upinthehills View Post
    Would you have more concern for my lowly 12FV varmint action? There seems to be a lot less metal in my action... Just trying to make sure I understand what you are saying.
    Less metal than what?

Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    Have shown more than a few Savage bashers this article over the years. They always swear that the rifles were not stock...talked to one of the shooters and he says that they were out of the box and they did some tinkering. I for one was impressed. I'm into precision varminting myself and currently have a Savage heavy barrel 22-250 on an older flat back with a target trigger and walnut stock that will put five all touching most of the time. Works for me. Hang in there bro!
    I've got one of those too.... It's an Axis 22-250 (CBI 1/9 twist @ 26" heavy sporter, Boyd's Prairie hunter stock, pillared & bedded, metal trigger guard) It will put 5 in a nickel @ 100 yards... and I've hit Sage rats @ 548 yards (longest so far). But that will change hopefully as I just finished my 260 rem the other day... I know.... LOL! I'm not sure it will be enough gun... :-)

LOL. It might not be. In one of the Varmint magazines a few years ago was a feature article "7MM Magnum Too Much For Varmints?"...seriously? Can you imagine the looks you would get if you showed up at a Prairie Dog shoot with a 7 mag? With a brake yet! Course the upside could be the only Prairie Dog town in the State where they were all deaf.

Basic Member
    Lol... yeah, once I shot a squirrel with my 338 magnum... there was no proof that I got it left... just saw a poof of red then it was gone

MacLaren
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted_Feasel View Post
    I thought they went down to 1 lb 12 oz?

By George, I think you might be right. Ive got some trigger pulls just below a pound. But she averages 2 & 1/4 pounds.
    ** dang it! I meant to say some pulls below 2 pounds**
    Im sorry.

Basic Member
    I thought it was pretty light because I've got mine turned all the way down and it feels just perfect barely takes anything

Basic Member
    Still curious if Sharpshooter did his tests with target actions or normal actions? Do they make the standard actions without a cutout for loading from a magazine? The target actions look like they have a lot more metal considering how small the ejection/loading port is.

NSS lists Model 10 actions with a scope rail that are blueprinted. They cost more then the target actions, is that all from the blueprinting or do they have integral rails or something?

Basic Member
    I did say it was 15 yrs ago, target actions didn't come until 10 yrs ago. Savage made solid bottom single shots in 3 action lengths before the target action even appeared. They all had the same large loading ports as used in the current production repeaters.
    All of the testing was done @ 100 yds, and all of the aggs were under .300".
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Thanks, Sharpshooter. I'm pretty new at this and just don't know the history of these parts.

1.5 pounds is the specified limit, but it can vary up or down a few ounces gun-to-gun due to production tolerances.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

MacLaren
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    1.5 pounds is the specified limit, but it can vary up or down a few ounces gun-to-gun due to production tolerances.
    But, 1.5 pounds is for the law enforcement series (10-110)
    Rifles like the 16-116, 14-114 etc have a 2.5 pound stated limit?
    Not trying to be argumentative, please dont get me wrong
    Im gonna order the 1.5 pound spring today for my 16 bear hunter.

Basic Member
    I did polish the sear on mine... it made a noticeable difference on how predictable it feels and it makes it feel alot lighter pull

Basic Member
    Something almost embarrassing is my SAW 22-250 I've had for 5 years... just last week I discovered that it has an adjustable trigger LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by MacLaren View Post
    But, 1.5 pounds is for the law enforcement series (10-110)
    Rifles like the 16-116, 14-114 etc have a 2.5 pound stated limit?
    Not trying to be argumentative, please dont get me wrong
    Im gonna order the 1.5 pound spring today for my 16 bear hunter.
    Correct. Savage uses different springs for the different weight ranges. You have the standard (what I call Hunter) spring for 2.5-6-lbs. and the Varmint/LEO spring for 1.5-6-lbs. The red blade AccuTrigger on the target models and actions uses a third unique spring as well as a different sear to get the lighter pull weight range.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12