Thread: MDT LSS Chassis

MDT LSS Chassis

Does anybody have any experience with the MDT LSS chassis? I was curious what the finished rifles weighed in before/after. I love the idea of being able to drop two screws to change out barrels but... hate to lug around a 10lb rifle.

Mike

Basic Member
    Weight will be dependent on all components combined.... The LSS chassis is lightweight, but can become a heavy rifle quickly dependent on Stock, Barrel Contour, Optic, Bipod, or anything else you choose to put on it. The Chassis itself weighs in at 1.6-1.8lbs. I'd imagine with the correct parts choices you could definitely end up with a 6-8lbs rifle.

Basic Member
    I have an Axis with a heavy barrel. Scope and all it it weighs just under 10lbs.

Basic Member
    I have a model 11 with a 26" varmint contour in 6.5CM. I think is about 10.5lbs with scope. I tried to use lightweight components where I could, and only add weight when necessary.

Since this picture, I've gone to a Leupold vx3 LRP scope.

Most are not going to build a light weight gun on a chassis style stock, it's not really what they are intended for. As mentioned, it can be done with the right components. Remember when you buy an MDT chassis you still need the buffer tube and some type of stock. So that $400 chassis can turn into a $600+ overall stock pretty quick. If you wanting something light weight, yet still rock solid, look into one of the Manners Stocks. They build really great stuff. I have Manners, MDT chassis, XLR chassis, and soon a MPA chassis, they are all great and each serve their intended purpose well. If I was building a multipurpose gun, hunting/target shooting, I would go with the Manners hands down. I love me chassis guns, but they can be cumbersome in hunting situations. I have a Manners EH1, comes in just under 2 lbs, and it is solid as can be. It is a purpose built hunting rifle, but have taken it out 1300+ yds on steel. The shape and style of the stock leans towards the tactical style, but works really well for both hunting and long range work.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper99 View Post
    I have a model 11 with a 26" varmint contour in 6.5CM. I think is about 10.5lbs with scope. I tried to use lightweight components where I could, and only add weight when necessary.

Since this picture, I've gone to a Leupold vx3 LRP scope.
    Is that the LSS-XL Chassis or the standard model? Looks great.

That is the standard LSS chassis. The XL has a much longer fore-end.

I use mine as a light hunter, so not sure why they could only be used for something else... A standard adjustable buttstock will cost you $40; not for nothing, but if you spend $200 on a butt-stock, it better do the dishes also.
    And if you look used or for some reason around Christmas, they get really cheap.
    Bought mine for $250
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by darkker View Post
    That is the standard LSS chassis. The XL has a much longer fore-end.

I use mine as a light hunter, so not sure why they could only be used for something else... A standard adjustable buttstock will cost you $40; not for nothing, but if you spend $200 on a butt-stock, it better do the dishes also.
    And if you look used or for some reason around Christmas, they get really cheap.
    Bought mine for $250
    $250, please share, where. Been looking for a LSS-XL, best price I've seen is on Gunbroker for $540.

They had a christmas(this past) sale for half -price, also found one for my RAP on ebay for roughly the same amount; think it was slightly more, but about half.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.