Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New 16 Bear Hunter coming.....

MacLaren

New 16 Bear Hunter coming.....

Very excited about this fellas/gals.
    Went ahead and ordered an EGW 20 MOA base.
    Gonna get a Vortex PST Viper 6x24
    At any rate, I would love to hear members experience with the Bear Hunter in 300 wsm - good or bad :)
    I just wish the accutrigger was a law enforcement one that goes to 1.5 pounds. But, Im sure 2.5 will be fine.
    Thanx all!

You're gonna love it. 190 VLD and IMR-7828 are the go-to in my 300 shorty. Although mine is the Trophy hunter, it shoots less than .5moa at 400 if I do my part and killed two bears this spring, both one shot kills. Yardages weren't anything to brag about, 80 and 140, but bullet performance was pretty spectacular. I'm leaving tomorrow for my fall bear hunt, and the .338 is staying home. I'll be packing the WSM. I'm running the Viper 6.5-20x50 mil/mil on mine and have no complaints. You can order the 1.5# spring for the trigger from Savage customer service for a couple of bucks, I usually order 10 at a time. Replacement only takes a couple of minutes.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

MacLaren
    Awesome info! Thank you
    Ill be calling Savage today!
    Good luck and stay safe.

MacLaren
    Wow. Just called savage and the lady said no. Said it wouldn't fit ( 1.5 pound spring ) and furthermore, that she could only sale what originally came on my rifle.
    I reckon I shouldn't have mentioned mine was a model 16? But, then again, she it wouldn't work anyways.
    Man.....I was really hoping for that 1.5 pound pull weight lol

She's wrong. Call back and order part number 103894. Give her serial number G898487. It's a Model 10 predator hunter in 243 if she needs to know. The spring should be about $2.00. Twice that for shipping.
    Last edited by Hotolds442; 08-16-2017 at 10:29 AM.
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

MacLaren
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    She's wrong. Call back and order part number 105265. Give her serial number G898487. It's a Model 10 predator hunter in 243 if she needs to know. The spring should be about $2.00. Twice that for shipping.
    Ahh.....Cool beans brother.
    Will do. Thank you!!!

I gave the wrong part number, check the previous post for the correct number, it's been edited with the correct number.

MacLaren
    Thank you!

MacLaren
    Just got a couple boxes of the new Federal EDGE TLR 200 GR.
    Semms like really nice ammo.....

My kid just picked up a Model 12 stainless fluted in 300 WSM, it included a Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20. Pawn shop priced at $450. Wish I'd have seen it first! The scope alone is worth twice that.

Basic Member
    I have a 300 WSM Bear hunter that I got in February, and just shot test loads with 212 ELDX and it shoots really nice, 7/8 " groups. I will be taking it out farther on Friday... So far just 100 yards, and no shots on animals yet.

The plan is to use it for elk hunting this fall. I have used every type of powder I have and many different charges and seating depths from book to .04 over (.01 less than touching) and the thing just never tightened up more than 3/4 with win 760 (not taking this out hunting) and never got more than a little over an inch with the worst loads I tried.... It is really strange, I settled on a 7/8 group and book length OAL with 61.7g of H4350... It should be just fine :) It is only 2700 FPS, but with that big of bullet I don't need faster, and the next node almost knocks my shoulder off. :)
    Last edited by want2ride; 08-16-2017 at 08:53 PM. Reason: added content

I have one and with factory Winchester 180 grain I can cover 3 holes at 200 with a nickel. Bench of course. But mine is a absolute tack driver. Not so impressed with the hydro dipping on the stock lots of little tiny whites spots but the accuracy far makes up for it. Congrats on the new rifle! OH yea and search on YouTube there is a guy that shoots one of these things at 1500 and a mile and at 1500 I think he shot under a 9 inch group. Pretty cool vid check it out.

MacLaren
    Quote Originally Posted by Joer6 View Post
    I have one and with factory Winchester 180 grain I can cover 3 holes at 200 with a nickel. Bench of course. But mine is a absolute tack driver. Not so impressed with the hydro dipping on the stock lots of little tiny whites spots but the accuracy far makes up for it. Congrats on the new rifle! OH yea and search on YouTube there is a guy that shoots one of these things at 1500 and a mile and at 1500 I think he shot under a 9 inch group. Pretty cool vid check it out.
    Cool!
    And, yes, I saw that vid. It was very impressive.
    Actually, 2 of the shots at 1,500 yards were within an inch of one another lol. If that 1st hadn't strayed......wow.

MacLaren
    Quote Originally Posted by want2ride View Post
    I have a 300 WSM Bear hunter that I got in February, and just shot test loads with 212 ELDX and it shoots really nice, 7/8 " groups. I will be taking it out farther on Friday... So far just 100 yards, and no shots on animals yet.

The plan is to use it for elk hunting this fall. I have used every type of powder I have and many different charges and seating depths from book to .04 over (.01 less than touching) and the thing just never tightened up more than 3/4 with win 760 (not taking this out hunting) and never got more than a little over an inch with the worst loads I tried.... It is really strange, I settled on a 7/8 group and book length OAL with 61.7g of H4350... It should be just fine :) It is only 2700 FPS, but with that big of bullet I don't need faster, and the next node almost knocks my shoulder off. :)
    Good deal!
    Mine will be here today actually. Pretty excited.
    Ya know, I really like the Bear Hunter, especially with the adjustable muzzle break and all. But, I do wish Savage would introduce the 300 WSM to the FCP HS Precision series. They have one in 300 WM and 338 Lapua.
    Imo, the Law Enforcement Series needs the 300 WSM too. Or, at least, I want it lol.

MacLaren
    Well, she came today. Everything looks really good.
    Of course, thats only from about 10 minutes of looking.
    The trigger pull is much heavier than I want. Gonna order that spring tomorrow.
    Ill keep y'all posted. :)
    Of course, if the original 2.5 pound setting feels good, Ill just leave her alone. Ill adjust her tonight.
    Thanx fellas, for all the help.

MacLaren
    Ok fellas, just adjusted the accutrigger as low as she would go. Shes 2.5 pounds and sometimes reads a little less. I like 2.5 pounds. Its nice. But, I know, i would LOVE 1.5 pounds. Gonna get the spring in the a.m. as mentioned earlier.

MacLaren
    And, I must say, the on- off muzzle break is the beez kneez imo. Very positive clicks for both on and off.
    This seems to be a VERY NICE rifle for $823.64 .......

MacLaren
    Question fellas;
    If I wanted to ever drop the barreled action into a chassy system, would that be possible considering she's a 300 wsm? Who makes detachable mags for 300 wsm?
    I think Accurate Mag does?
    I called McRees, but she couldn't really answer my question, and to be honest, didn't seem too care that much either. I must confess, I was a bit disappointed.

MacLaren
    I gave the wrong part number, check the previous post for the correct number, it's been edited with the correct number.
    Ok....lol....she said I will have to fill out an ffl waiver form.
    She's emailing it to me. I wander what thats all about?

Standard procedure for gunsmith only parts. It releases Savage from all liability should you have a boo-boo and try to sue.

MacLaren
    Standard procedure for gunsmith only parts. It releases Savage from all liability should you have a boo-boo and try to sue.
    Thank you sir :)

MacLaren
    Ok, so while on the phone today with Savage, I got to speak with Effie, in the Custom Shop.
    I asked Effie, if it were possible to have an FCP 10 HS Precision in 300 wsm built. She said it was!
    Gonna have my dealer call her tomorrow and line it up!
    I am really stoked about this. Im a way I wish I knew I could do this before I bought the 16 Bear Hunter. But, then again, I love 300 wsm and really, really like the Bear Hunter rifle so far. Nuthin wrong with havin a couple in the same caliber I reckon.

She is the best to deal with, anymore I ask for her by name.

MacLaren
    [QUOTE=Hotolds442;414263]She is the best to deal with, anymore I ask for her by name.[/QUOTE

Yes sir. Very good indeed:)

Back to the wsm magazine thing. If you put it in a H-S precision you can use factory 3 rd CF magazine and DBM. And you can probably load out to 2.900 +or-
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast