Thread: Cabela's 12FV Initial Impression

Basic Member

Cabela's 12FV Initial Impression

Well I liberated my 12FV from Cabela's bureaucratic checkout hell this afternoon. Long story...long process. I just took a look at the stock. I like what they did to the external appearance over the old staggered feed tupperware stock. Seems to fit the nature of the beast better. But internally I'm a little disappointed. I heard that the newer tupperware was better but I'm skeptical. The action sits on the plastic and doesn't even contact the front pillar. In the back there is that silver metal tab between the action and the pillar. Just doesn't seem right to me. Not sure I want to mess around with correcting bedding problems. Is there any fix to get the rear of the action sitting directly on the pillar?

Maybe I should just shoot it and see how it does. But deep inside I'll always wonder if it could do better with a good stock. Better than what we'll find out.

Basic Member
    If it shoots, I wouldn't worry about it.

Having said that, why do you want your action to sit on top of the pillars? THe pillars serve one purpose, and one purpose only... to prevent the action screws from crushing the stock material when tightening or under stress from changing atmospheric conditions. THey should allow the screws to maintain their set torque, nothing else. THey are not intended to be part of the support structure for the action. The factory pillars do there job, as outline above. Furthermore, all that matters in any of this is that there is no binding on the action. THe factory stock accomplishes this. Beyond that, the stock leaves a lot to be desired, but it's mounted to a $319-419 gun, for crying out loud! :)

Basic Member
    OK, thanks for the education.

Basic Member
    I just took my new 22-250 to the range today. I had 15 rounds through it before today and got a 2" group.... The more rounds I put through it, the more accurate it seems to get. I now have 40 rounds through and had a 10 shot group with one flier, and the other 9 were just outside of an inch across. I like my 12FV so far, I just wish it had a removable box mag, but for $370 I am not going to complain a lot.

Basic Member
    That metal tab holds the blind magazine housing in the stock.

Clerk,

the gun will be a shooter... My brother has one in 22-250 and it is a tack driver. He did add an aftermarket stock however, and it did improve his groups a bit. Here is the link to the one he got... But Boyds also has some options I believe.

https://www.stockysstocks.com/stocks...nd-models.html

Choose the Savage 10 option... It is the same as the 12.

Basic Member
    The 12FV's are terrific, cant buy a better rifle for the money. I own 2 of them, one in 308win & one in 223rem, they both shoot 5 shot groups into a ragged hole @100yds with hand loads, and the 308 shoots 5 into about a 1/2" @ 200yds (im sure the 223 will do the same, just havent shot it at 200 yet) so dont worry about the bedding im sure its doing its job

Quote Originally Posted by RP12 View Post
    That metal tab holds the blind magazine housing in the stock.
    as rp says, that tab is recessed such that it does not contact the receiver (on purpose). also, the design intentionally floats the tang. the rear screw shouldn't imho be torqued to the point there is any contact at the tang. i have played around with several, and as others have found the front screw will hold torque, however the rear screw will not, due to the stock material flowing slightly under pressure.

anyway, bottom line for mine are front screw 45 in/lb and rear 25. snug each, then torque front first. if groups string horizontal check the rear screw. the front 'never' seems to creep, only the rear.

i do not even attempt shooting for precision from a bipod on this factory stock. off of bags however, they are shooters. 5 shot groups in the 1/2" range are normal. the .223 is the best, followed by .308 and then 22-250. oh, i have added 16 to 20 oz of lead in the buttstock to better balance the rifle. that is the only real mod.
    Last edited by chop house; 08-23-2017 at 01:40 PM. Reason: typo, in/lb obviously...
    another remmy escapee... might be a savage for the next half century,

Banned
    Look at a Boyds stock (Laminates are really good as they are as stable as composites) .

My two are drop in, almost perfect fit (a very miner amount of relief work at the rear) no bedding and shoot sub 1/2 MOA.

Took mine out of the box, cleaned bore, put Athlon scope on it and shot some Hornady accu tip 22-250 50gr in it...5 shots measures 0.342
    Good enough...lol...
    Then I put a Choate tactical stock on...good enough!