Thread: Looking for Savage receiver thread tap

Basic Member

Looking for Savage receiver thread tap

Hey guys, I hope some can help me with a problem. I have a standard shank Savage 110 receiver that has some buggered threads. All I need to do is run the tap in and clean up the galling. So far all I have found is Brownells at $115 and out of stock. I do not want to pay that much for a tool I will likely only use once. Anybody have a loaner or know where I can rent one. I would buy an inexpensive one, but $115 is a bit steep for one use. Thanks in advance. Leon

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LHitchcox View Post
    Hey guys, I hope some can help me with a problem. I have a standard shank Savage 110 receiver that has some buggered threads. All I need to do is run the tap in and clean up the galling. So far all I have found is Brownells at $115 and out of stock. I do not want to pay that much for a tool I will likely only use once. Anybody have a loaner or know where I can rent one. I would buy an inexpensive one, but $115 is a bit steep for one use. Thanks in advance. Leon
    Honestly you can probably take it to a gun Smith and they will charge a fraction of that just to clean the threads up

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    No smith in the local area has a Savage tap. The one I visited today says he doesn't like working on Savages and only keeps the nut wrench and the action wrench which also fits a Remington 700.

Basic Member
    No smith in the local area has a Savage tap. The one I visited today says he doesn't like working on Savages and only keeps the nut wrench and the action wrench which also fits a Remington 700.
    Damn :/ our local gun Smith loves savage

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

4D reamer rental has Savage tools for rent.

I've been quoted more than $115 from a tool & cutter and die shop supply.

You can rent the tap from 4D-Rentals

https://4drentals.com/product/savage...tandard-shank/

You can also buy a THREAD FILE that has files for both male and female jobs. Thread files are for fixing messed up threads and should work in most scenarios.

You would need a thread file just like this one...
    http://www.ultimategarage.com/shop/p...roducts_id=524

Notice the little files at the end, they're the ones that go inside a female thread like a receiver.

Basic Member
    Sounds like 4D is my best bet. Thanks. I do have one more smith to get in touch with first. He wasn't in today. Wish me luck.

PM sent
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member

Didn't look but does the Brownell's Tap come with a pilot? Piloted taps are used (with straight bushings) to make sure the threads are properly aligned with the boltway. PT&G claims that their piloted tap for actions can achieve the same results as single point cutting of the threads without the long setup time. Expensive for a one-time use but certainly the way to go if you want 'straight threads".

Be careful when chasing the galled threads with a tap. If the galling is excessive you can end up with good threads cut as the galling forces the tap against them.

Basic Member
    check with Rex Supply that's where I bought my tap from

Basic Member
    Thanks Jww for the tip. However, it looks like I won't need one after all. Upon closer inspection in better light I found a piece of thread from the front base screw hole was bent into the threads. This was then galling and binding the barrel threads. I removed the sliver of metal and used an old takeoff barrel to thread in and chase the threads. Everything cleaned up well and I am good to go. Thanks to all who have given me help on this issue.

Leon

Ahh the scope base screw found another victim.

Glad you looked closer into the issue and got it sorted !

Basic Member
    Eyeballs are one of the best tools in the business!