Thread: New Guy from Borger Texsas

SFC WEED

New Guy from Borger Texsas

Hello I am SFC Weed US Army Retired from 1965-1986. I have a new not yet fired Savage Axis 30-06. I am looking for the best recipe for long range shooting with this rifle. Can anyone help me.

Hello Weed, Thanks for your service. Do you have an idea on what weight bullet you want to shoot?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Team Savage
    howdy.thanks for your service

Basic Member
    Hi Weed,
    Long range... did you pick a bullet? For LR target or LR hunting? I'd give different recommendations based on use.
    I get the my best reloading recommendations and answers to my questions on the the Nosler reloading forum under Tapatalk (lots of accuracy and hunting nuts there)(lots of retire military and retire police persons there, plus professional hunters/guides.

What works best will vary gun to gun.

In general the Hornady Xld Match bullet is a tack driver at 800+ yards.
    Also of great reputation is the Sierra MatchKing. If you have to shoot Monos, the three most referenced monos would be Hornady AMax, Barnes, or Nosler E-tip.

Heavier bullets carry best. For a 3006, I'd pick a 168-180g.
    Lots of people swear by IMR4350, Nosler says 165 or 168gn Nosler bullets Start at 53gn, max at 57gn. Best accuracy at max. Btw, Reloder22 was the fastest powder they tested, 59gn-63gn, best accuracy at 59gn. Interestingly, 57gn of IMR4350 vs 59gn of RL22 will send the bullet down the barrel at 2832 vs 2812...I'd speculate that's a harmonic sweet spot on their 24" Lilja test gun.

Start a new thread on favorite 3006 loads for long range... and stand back and watch the responses come it...
    Btw, my favorite 3006 load is 54.0gn of Big Game, CCI LR primer, Remington case, with a Hornady 150gn Round Nose, accurate under 1 inch at 200 yards, slams white tails. That said, I'm currently working up a 180gn Black bear load...might be a Nosler Ballistic Tip or Accubond, maybe Sierra ProHunter... stilll developing the load.

A chrono or magnetospeed will help tremendously.

Welcome aboard sir!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SFC WEED
    Thank you MJC I use to be stationed at Selfridge back in the 80 I even retired from their. Let me say that I intend to use my guns to keep up my marksmanship, maybe in do so competition shooting and National and Home defense depending upon where the threat comes from. I was thinking of using a Hornady, 155 grain HPBT out to about 600 yards or better. I presently shoot an Mossberg MPV 7.62/308, an AR10 308, an AR15 223 which I load for all three plus a 1911 45 and an Ruger American Pistol in 9MM. I purchased the Savage Axis 30-06 sight unseen and am a little afraid of the barrel as it does not have heavy duty look. I may have made a mistake based upon my intended use of the firearm. I just want to be safe. I blew up a 223 about 3 months ago and am still a little gun shy after that experience. Anyway I am interested in the use of RL22 powder with the 155 grain bullet. What say you.

Team Savage
    Welcome aboard

Basic Member
    Congratulations on the stationing at Selfridge. What a great location. I hope you got in on Lake St Clair fishing.

That bullet is new since my 9th edition.

My 4 go to powders for the 150 class Hornady bullets are Big Game, IMR 4350, RL-15, and Varget.

I'll do a little digging and see if I can find a RL22 recipe. It might be too slow for a 155gn bullet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome from northeast georgia. Thank you for your service.
    Ackley was right all along

Basic Member

New Guy from Borger Texsas

Good Morning Sir!

I stand by the 4 powders I recommended. RL22 appears to be too slow for a 155gn in a 3006 case.

Following sources checked: Hornady, Nosler, Accurate powders. I've put a request out asking for a QuickLoad program estimate. So far no response. That program simulates powder burning and pushing a bullet. I spec' d CCI bench rest primers, Remington cases, 22" barrel, Hornady 3039 match BTHP (155gn).
    If they reply, we will see forecasted velocity and pressures. It will also give you a benchmark on your powder lot. As powders can vary lot to lot by as much as 10%, you'd be able to compare your measured velocity against the forecasted to triangulate on you powders spec. Google QuickLoad for reloading. Great program if you do a lot of reloadin. I plan to buy it. You need a windows PC to run it.They have a sister program for wildcatters to estimate what new designs will do.

Will update you if the QL guys give me a simulation on RL22.
    RL22 is more appropriate for 180gn 3006.

SFC WEED
    Yes I lived on Base about 50 Yards from the Lake. Fished there a lot I often watched as some one would go out on the lake with a motor home and the ice would break and then his heart. It was sad. Yes I was thinking about RL22 but then I see that Alliant does not recommend it so that is probably the reason. Have a blessed day and thanks for your input.

I have the 111 Trophy hunter in 30-06 (22" pencil barrel)... I run the 168 gr. Barnes TTSX between 56-57 grains H4350 as my Elk load... MV is 2800 FPS...

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SageRat Shooter View Post
    I have the 111 Trophy hunter in 30-06 (22" pencil barrel)... I run the 168 gr. Barnes TTSX between 56-57 grains H4350 as my Elk load... MV is 2800 FPS...
    Sweet load! How does it group?

about 1 MOA on average. If I'm having a "good day" a little better.... at 200 yards when shooting the targets that "look like the 5 of diamonds"... I can put all 3 shots into the little diamonds on the corners of the target... Every time. But it's all original equipment... no aftermarket stock etc... did a little "bedding" around the recoil lug but that's it...

It's just my hunting rifle, so I didn't try to make it a precision shooter like my 260 or 22-250.... It's just for putting meat on the table or in the freezer.

Welcome!
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Members who have read this thread in the last 1 days: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.