Thread: A22 magnum iron sights?

A22 magnum iron sights?

I'm new to the forum and this is my first Savage. I'm a big fan of .22WRM so the A22 magnum was a must-have. When it comes to sights I'm a bit of a Luddite, gotta have iron sights. Has anyone here fitted sights to their A22 magnum? What did you use? I have a Skinner rear ghost ring sight on my Baikal's 11mm rail that works great with the factory front sight. That kind of setup is what I'm aiming for (so to speak) on my A22. Thanks!

A22 Mag iron sights. Figured it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamsinger View Post
    I'm new to the forum and this is my first Savage. I'm a big fan of .22WRM so the A22 magnum was a must-have. When it comes to sights I'm a bit of a Luddite, gotta have iron sights. Has anyone here fitted sights to their A22 magnum? What did you use? I have a Skinner rear ghost ring sight on my Baikal's 11mm rail that works great with the factory front sight. That kind of setup is what I'm aiming for (so to speak) on my A22. Thanks!
    Here's the solution. A NoDak Spud NDS-44 front sight (may have to hone the ID a little). Rear sight, UTG subcompact.

Basic Member
    I know you mentioned the A22 mag but the 93 comes with irons just an FYI. Not semi auto. I love mine, a 93GL, as I can regularly drop our CA ground squirrels at 80yds, and have dropped them at 125. By the way, my 93GL LOVES the TNT Green ammo. I only tried it because this stupid state was outlawing hunting with head, and lo and behold, it is my most accurate ammo. Go figure.
    Would LOVE to hear performance and accuracy reports from your A22 magnum when you get it.

Quote Originally Posted by handirifle View Post
    I know you mentioned the A22 mag but the 93 comes with irons just an FYI. Not semi auto. I love mine, a 93GL, as I can regularly drop our CA ground squirrels at 80yds, and have dropped them at 125. By the way, my 93GL LOVES the TNT Green ammo. I only tried it because this stupid state was outlawing hunting with head, and lo and behold, it is my most accurate ammo. Go figure.
    Would LOVE to hear performance and accuracy reports from your A22 magnum when you get it.
    Here's what worked; a NoDak front sight made for the Ruger 44 carbine required a few thou turned down on the muzzle. A UTG Subcompact MNT-910 on an EGW rail. It's a tack driver. Beyond 100yds I have a Vortex 4-12 x 42 on QD mounts that is more consistently accurate than my 20" bull barreled 10/22. Being a lefty, bolt guns are a little problematic for me. I tried to post pix but the "insert image" thing doesn't work well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamsinger View Post
    I tried to post pix but the "insert image" thing doesn't work well.
    It works fine, you just have to be a Team Savage member to be able to upload pics direct to the site. Basic members have to upload the pic to a 3rd party hosting site and then use the URL link option.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    How do you like the A22mag? Function, accuracy reliability etc?

How do you like the A22mag? Function, accuracy reliability etc?
    It's a GREAT gun! It shoots circles around a friends $$$custom 10/22 mag. It eats anything I feed it. Minor gripes; no iron sights, plus, if Savage obviously thinks iron sights aren't important why didn't they put a raised comb on the stock? I suppose for the low price point one can't expect everything. Since the gun has nowhere near the modular choices of aftermarket mods that a 10/22 has, Savage should work with some of these people like Tri-Mag and Butler Creek. A design change to make barrel swaps easy wouldn't hurt.

Basic Member
    I was under the impression the barrels are screwed with a barrel nut.

That's what I would have expected but upon disassembling the gun I see no evidence that the barrel and receiver aren't one piece. Not being able to find any barrels on a parts list supports that. I'd love to be wrong and for the A22Mag to be as modular as a 10/22. As good as the A22Mag is the mind reels at the thought of having the ability to mix and match parts to build one exactly how you want it. My tricked out 10/22 Target *was* my favorite rimfire until I got the Savage. Even then, getting the iron sights right was a time consuming PITA that would have been a slam-dunk on a 10/22 platform.

Basic Member
    I can't imagine them being one piece though.

Barrel threads visible in owners manual fig. 17 pg 12, but shown as one piece (barrel and receiver) in rifle parts diagram pg. pg 15, however that part has no reference number.

https://cdn-savagearms.azureedge.net...80511T122221Z&
    hash=E4B5D8D1B3DC7CD1AEA572A6DB9B966735E5FEA7

could be separated? Not mine of course, but would be willing to help you if need be. lol

Basic Member
    Yea a couple pipe wrenches and they would come apart easily I am sure. Not sure it would go back together very well though. Lol