Thread: New Boyds Prairie Hunter Stock Issue

New Boyds Prairie Hunter Stock Issue

Finally got around to ordering a Prairie Hunter (Forest Camo) for my B.Mag w/bull barrel. Installation wasn't all too difficult. No bedding...yet.

Was excited to get to the range and sight it in. Here's where I encountered a problem. I can't get the magazine to click in. I see nothing blocking proper insertion. No wood in the way. The only thing I could think of is the receiver isn't sitting deep enough in the stock. Both magazines worked fine in the factory stock, which lead me to believe this.

I read in another thread to set the action screws to 15-18"lbs. to improve accuracy. So I set it to ~18"lbs. I tried tightening the action screws to 25"lbs. but it made no difference.

Anyone experience this? If so, what was the fix? I figured I'd ask before I butcher the stock and toss $140 out the window.

TIA
    Last edited by minderasr; 08-11-2017 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Edit to correct torque specs.
    Jim

Are there any scuff marks on the mags to indicate they are rubbing on the stock in some place to prevent them from locking in place??

No scuff marks. No resistance when trying to insert them. The release on the magazine simply does not click in.
    Jim

Had the same problem with both the Prairie Hunters I have had. The problem with both of mine was that the front of the magazine set too far into the stock and the "ears" on the top front of the magazine box touched the metal on the receiver so the magazine would not click in place. A bit of work with a Dremel tool fixed the problem. Leave the front stock bolt fairly loose and see if the magazine clicks in. You can also leave the bolt out and visually check if the magazine is touching the metal on the receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    Had the same problem with both the Prairie Hunters I have had. The problem with both of mine was that the front of the magazine set too far into the stock and the "ears" on the top front of the magazine box touched the metal on the receiver so the magazine would not click in place. A bit of work with a Dremel tool fixed the problem. Leave the front stock bolt fairly loose and see if the magazine clicks in. You can also leave the bolt out and visually check if the magazine is touching the metal on the receiver.
    I tried leaving the front action screw loose, I tried leaving both action screws loose. Made no difference. Which area(s) did you take the dremel to?
    Jim

Just took enough metal off the two protruding ears on the front of the magazine so that they no long touched the metal on the receiver.
    I don't think you have that problem though. Does your magazine click in place when the stock is not on the rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    Does your magazine click in place when the stock is not on the rifle?
    Yes, but loosely without the supporting structure of the stock. It worked in the factory stock.
    Jim

Well mayhaps it is the front top "ears" on the magazine touching the receiver after all. Keeps the magazine from going down far enough to click in. Easy to find out.