Thread: Do I need to change my firing pin if I go to small rifle primers in a 10fcp-sr

Do I need to change my firing pin if I go to small rifle primers in a 10fcp-sr

I've got a 10 fcp-sr in 6.5 Creedmoor. And I want to go to small rifle primers. Do I need todo anything to my firing pin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    you would have a higher safety margin with a small pin setup but it's not as easy as slapping in a small pin and calling it a day. you would either have to bush the bolt face and machine a new hole to prevent primer flow. not sure if PTG makes or can make a bolt face like this.

aside from the allegedly more consistent ignition from the small primer the main reason people like to run the small primer brass is to hot rod the pressures.

but to answer the initial question, no I don't feel any modifications are needed to run small primer brass. the small cartridges like .223,.204 ruger, ect... all use the same firing pin as the .308/06 family of cartridges. to my knowledge only the magnums had the small firing pin from the factory.

Basic Member
    Don't all Savages have the small pin now ?

Basic Member
    "Starting in 2001, Savage firing pin diameters were reduced on ALL models. Therefore, when ordering bolt heads it is important to know what diameter firing pin you have to work around"

http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...ins-Bolt-Faces

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rbp75503 View Post
    "Starting in 2001, Savage firing pin diameters were reduced on ALL models. Therefore, when ordering bolt heads it is important to know what diameter firing pin you have to work around"

http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...ins-Bolt-Faces
    ahh. you learn something new every day. guess by luck all of mine are pre 2001