Thread: 22-243 new barrel bolt lift problems?

Basic Member

22-243 new barrel bolt lift problems?

Ok I got my new barrel on used forester go/no go gauges to set headspace. Action has been timed and trued won't say who because I haven't had the chance to talk to them yet have contacted them but haven't heard back yet. Ok so after firing a round the bolt throw is nice and easy till the very end you almost lift the bolt all the way up then hit a wall and it gets hard. You can get it to open then it ejects the brass fine. What would cause this? It is shooting great sub half moa same load twice. Talked one guy he thought maybe to much headspace but said to resize a few pieces of 1 time fired brass and shoot it again to see what happens. But it's still doing it. Any ideas would be great.

Do you have any issues when operating the bolt with no ammo in the rifle? No, polish the chamber. Yes, Conflict between the Primary Extraction cam and the bolt lugs. lug abutments. Back off the BAS about one turn and if it operates smoothly you will need to do a baffle mod or replacement.

You may have pressure issues and you are really having to work the primary extraction cam to get the fired case moving. Look at your cases and primers to see if there is a tattle tale for high pressure. Measure your fired case base and compare to new brass.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Not getting pressure signs case head measurements are the same on new fired and sized brass. What is the BAS? It operates fine empty and even loads the new or sized loaded rounds fine and ejects them fine just a problem after they are fired. I did latter test from lower to upper charges noticed no difference in the feel of bolt lift.

Check for primary extraction. Once that is verified or fixed, if you still have the problem clean your chamber with a non metallic chamber brush or mop and carbon remover. Retest.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    It extracts low pressure rounds or just sized brass fine so I don't think that's an issue.