Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Model 10 ba stealth, 6.5 Creedmoor can't get bolt all the way in ???

Quote Originally Posted by Deadshot2 View Post
    On a Remington a shoelace is a great tool. Tie in a loop, hook on cocking piece, pull and rotate. Cuts down on the # of cuss words required.

On the Savage a fired case with the case mouth against the round surface, gripping bolt in hands and pushing with thumb(s) against case head works pretty good too. If you have a fat shoelace that works too.

BTW, everyone should carry spare boot/shoe laces. Can't count the number of times they have come in handy and sometimes even for my boot or shoe.
    Yep!
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Yep!
    Did I mention that a shoelace also makes a great improvised bore cleaning tool?. Out hunting and you stuff your muzzle in the mud? Get as much out with a stick or whatever, tie a piece of T-Shirt to the end of a shoelace and drop the other end through the barrel from the chamber end. Pull through and clean out the bore. When your wife does your laundry she's bound to ask about the piece of T-shirt missing along the bottom hem. Tell her the story then just use the laundered T-Shirt to cut regular cleaning patches from it. About a years supply if you cut them right.

BTW, how many here have come home from a hunting trip missing part of their T-Shirt after a sudden "Call of Nature" and you wanted something softer than a handful of leaves or some moss?

Basic Member
    ^^^Uh, oh.

Yeah. Guilty.

TMI
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Yeah. Probably so.

Basic Member
    It took a bit of head scratching on my part to get my bolt back in my new 10 FCP the first time too. I took it apart, cleaned and lubed it and reassembled it, only to find the cocking pin was in the wrong position to allow the bolt to slide back into the action. I removed the BA screw, moved the cocking pin into the correct position and then found that the screw wouldn't go in far enough to engage the threads. After much consternation I realized what was happening. I assembled it in the uncocked position and cocked it by hand so the bolt could be installed. Since then I've learned that it's a little easier start the screw with the pin in the uncocked position and then move it to the cocked position before tightening the screw the rest of the way.

And yeah, a little mention of that procedure in the manual would've been awful nice. This is a basic operation that every owner will run into if they maintain their rifle. I can't imagine why they chose not to include it.
    - Kirk -

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12