Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New hb 243 axis build

New hb 243 axis build

Hey everyone this is my first mini build and wanted to show it off a little. I started off with a brand new axis in 243 with a heavy barrel, I believe it was the last one available from buds gun shop. I then proceeded to rockite the forend and mount my letherwood 6-24 scope which I then needed a cheek riser. After some dry fire practice I could tell it was time for some trigger work so I did the poor man's trigger job. I added the pilot pen spring and the over travel screw. Now time to shoot after shooting about 30rds of ppu 100gr soft points I was able to get some ok groups, that are shown below. Not having the reloading supplys yet i decided to address the other weaknesses of the rifle the stock and the scope. So I put in an order for a boyds stock and Amazon for a new scope. I went with a monstrum tactical 4-14 ffp scope, and a boyds pro varmint. All pictures are in order of appearance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

The future plans for this rifle include: piller bedding the stock possibly using the v3 kit with the mag clip, reloading, and a possible barrel upgrade once this one starts to loose some accuracy.

Reloading- in terms of reloading I plan to shoot the 87gr vmax, and the 105gr Barnes match burners. I know the 105s might be a little unstable, but the Barnes are a hair shorter than typical. I'm hoping that translates to better accuracy. I will be using h4831sc for both bullets. I know it might be a little slow for the vmaxs but my funds are a little tight.

New barrel- I'm stuck on the new barrel caliber choice. I'm really interested in the 6.5 creedmoor but I don't know if it's worth it to go to another caliber. I might just stick with the 243 and go to a faster twist to stabilize the 115gr stuff. In doing this I won't have to invest in a whole new pile of reloading equipment.

Basic Member
    Might try the 95 grain sierria or bergers if the 105s don't shoot.

Yea good idea I'm trying to one day shoot this to 1000yds. I'm just trying to shoot the highest bc I can in my twist rate really.

The problem I found with .243 Winchester as a precision round is that it almost requires handloading, not because the round or rifles chambered in it are particularly finicky, but because factory ammunition is either geared specifically toward varmint shooting or deer hunting. Both of those will do okay, but, with very few match rounds available, okay is all I would reasonably expect. It's kind of like .260 Remington and 6.5 Creedmoor. They're basically the same round once the bullet leaves the barrel, but the .260 has spent most of its life as a deer round whereas the 6.5 Creed was either purpose-built for or was perfectly timed to take advantage of the precision rifle fad. With the rise of the 6 Creedmoor in addition to the 6.5, the demand for factory. 243 Winchester match rounds might dwindle further!

Cool project so far! Keep us posted on your progress. You say you did the poor man's trigger job: is that just the trigger spring replacement and overtravel screw or did you do anything to take the creep out?

I did not shim the trigger to take the creep out. I'm still on the fence about going with the rifle basix trigger in the future. When starting with the 243 round i knew I was going to have to reload my own match style ammo. I originally planed on buying a 308hb axis, but due to the fact they are almost impossible to still find new I gave up. I did get a great deal on the 243 plus I have a small infatuation with the 6mm bullets as a whole. So once I could not get the 308 i had to settle with the fact that I would be reloading from there on out. Good thing I enjoy reloading.

Rifle Basix is my preferred aftermarket trigger, but shimming is easy enough if you've got the stuff.

How do you like that Monstrum, by the way? It looks like it comes off the same line as the Primary Arms/Athlon/BSA 4-14x44mm FFP scopes.

So far I like the scope, and i agree it looks very similar to the primary arms scope. The only complaint i have for it so far is the turret reset to zero, it is a little cheap. The turret caps are splined but being a cheap scope the splines are plastic. This being said a constant resetting to zero on the scope could cause ware on the scope internals and the caps. I hope that makes sense I'll take a picture once I get a chance some time later in the week.

Just a quick update I have the pillers in the stock and the epoxy is setting up over night. We will see how she turns out tomorrow

Basic Member
    Nice build. How far out are you shooting?

Currently only shot this rifle to 100. Once I start reloading I will mostly be shooting 100-600. I'm hoping one day to find a good place to shoot 1000 consistently.

Got the pillers installed and cleaned up tonight. I'm super happy with how it turned out especially being my first go around on this whole thing.

Basic Member
    What type of export did you use? Are you going to bed the action?

Quote Originally Posted by zr600 View Post
    What type of export did you use? Are you going to bed the action?
    I used jb weld as my epoxy if that's what you ment. I'm going to give this a try for a while and if I need to completely bed the action I might. I'm still on the fence about it.

Basic Member
    Nice job.. I am about to start tearing apart an Axis 243 pencil barrel and do a build myself. I already did the same trigger job and will likely just keep it like that for a while.. I bought the ER Shaw barrel kit from EABCO. Wasn't thrilled about the 10 twist, but its primary purpose is a varmint/kids gun. So I'm thinking the 58 gr VMAX will be lighning... and hopefully the 75 gr as well. We'll see.

Yea I bet that 58 grainer will be moving! I'm debating on going with there 243 accuracy barrel kit which is a 1:8 twist. I'm just worried about the quality of the barrel.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmracer358 View Post
    I did not shim the trigger to take the creep out. I'm still on the fence about going with the rifle basix trigger in the future. When starting with the 243 round i knew I was going to have to reload my own match style ammo. I originally planed on buying a 308hb axis, but due to the fact they are almost impossible to still find new I gave up. I did get a great deal on the 243 plus I have a small infatuation with the 6mm bullets as a whole. So once I could not get the 308 i had to settle with the fact that I would be reloading from there on out. Good thing I enjoy reloading.

I have a 11VT in 243, I know, different model and action. The barrel is probably the same though 9 1/8 twist. My go to load is 36.5 gr of XBR 8208, 70 nosler B tipped boattail, hornady case, and CCI 200 primer. I set the bullet long and let the rifle finish seating. Here is ten shot group at 100 yds from the last time I was out. It's a good group if only I didn't get off my aim point they'd all be in the same hole.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I love me some imr 8208xbr it's my go to in my 223 with 69gr smk. That is this rifle I shot that with.

This is my typical group with that ammo not to bad for a 199$ single shot lol.

Well I got a wild hair and got some stuff together to reload some 243. I'm starting with h414 and the hornady 87gr vmaxs. Still wanting to get ahold of some Barnes match burners in 105gr but that will have to come in the future. Here are the 20 i loaded up to get things started

Great looking stick. I built the same gun with a thin barrel. I cut and rocktited the stock, replaced the barrel with a Shilen full bull barrel and rifle basix trigger. It will put five rounds in one hole at one hundred yards. I reload, and shoot 105 Hornady match bullets and h45350 powder. Oh, 1 in 8 twist. Good luck on your build and keep us posted on how it's going.

Quote Originally Posted by jaded View Post
    Great looking stick. I built the same gun with a thin barrel. I cut and rocktited the stock, replaced the barrel with a Shilen full bull barrel and rifle basix trigger. It will put five rounds in one hole at one hundred yards. I reload, and shoot 105 Hornady match bullets and h45350 powder. Oh, 1 in 8 twist. Good luck on your build and keep us posted on how it's going.
    Thanks. I was really looking for some h4350 but it is gone. There is no place in a 200mile radius that has it lol. So I hurd h414 is the spherical ball equivalent. I just wish h414 was an extreme powder that is not effected by temperature.

Finally was able to do some load development. I didn't learn much because I have more work to do on my own fundamentals. But over all not to bad ended the day with 42gr of h414 pushing the 87gr vmax at about 3000fps. Next time out I plan to load some more a little hotter and see if I can squeeze out a few more fps.

Basic Member
    Great groups. Certainly capable of minute of quarry.

Thanks not my best but I'm still learning.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

Good idea for H4831 with those 87gr bullets. 43.5gr of that with a Sierra 85gr HPBT shot really well in any 243 I ever owned. Not a really fast load but a really accurate one!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast