Thread: Scope recommendation

Scope recommendation

I currently have a Nikon P233 on my axis .223. How big can i go on magnification on a small caliber like this? Ive heard to much can do more harm then good in accuracy?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Somebody has been pulling your leg. There is a point of diminishing returns depending on what and how far you plan to shoot. Weather also plays a part in it as higher magnification shows mirage worse. Also glass clarity comes into play the higher the magnification. You can get ok glass or good glass but you got to pay to get great glass and you need a loan for the really superb glass.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Lol no chance of gettin another loan here. Ive hit my targets at 500 yards with this scope and self loaded hornady 55 grn vmax. How much magnification can i get on a good glass scope with a budget around 500-700?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    5 to 25 is about the most long range hunters go. Serious extra long range shooters often put on a 10x fixed. Bench rest guys have 8 to 40ish, but turn it down more often than not because mirage washes out high magnification.

For a .223, a 4-16 would be about as far as I would ever go. I have a 4-12 Nikon on my .204 AR heavy barrel and shoot it to 300 easy enough.

You would be better off buying better glass at a lower magnification for whatever money you will spend.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Love my mueller 8 X 32 X 44 Tacticle Clear with great magnification for UNDER 300.00 I have them on three rifles so far.

Team Savage
    Scope power is usually set by what you are using the rifle for. Might have a 36x on a 22rf, if you were trying to shoot tiny groups.

When I got a 36x BR scope, for load workup, I discovered how poor my bench technique was.

Bill

Basic Member
    I picked up a scope from Cabela's. Had their name on it but was made by Mepta (according to sticker on side). Cost was just under $300 as it was on close out. Apparently their "buyer" liked Duplex Reticles and nobody was buying them

I've found that Cabela's has several of their House Brand scopes available that have clarity far better than one would expect for the price. I have heard from many sources that their Cabela's branded scopes are sourced from big makers like Leupold and Meopta but it's hard to confirm from Cabela's directly.

Don't be obsessed with magnification. I have a NightForce 12-42 X 56mm NXS and a 5-25 X 56mm BEAST. What the BEAST lacks in magnification it MORE than makes up for in clarity. As a record holding Palma shooter told me "Magnification will make it look bigger but it won't make it any clearer. Only glass quality will do that.

Like earl39 said, there is a cost to high quality glass. The NXS was $2,000 and the BEAST was over $4,000. I have no regrets buying either. FWIW, the "Clearance" Cabela's scope still holds it's own too.

Mounted a 6-24x50 on my .223. The higher magnification is there if needed. Yes I use the higher magnification.
    Just purchased a 5-25x50 for a .308. It will be at 10x to 15x 90% of the time.
    Shot a .308 with a Sightron 8-40x? at 1000 yards. Makes hitting the target easier with the available magnification.