Thread: Axis II Hardwood Pillars

Axis II Hardwood Pillars

Does the Axis II hardwood stock have pillars built in? I know it's made by Boyds, which don't typically come with pillars. Do they also have the same plastic mag catch and front escutcheon that Boyds aftermarket stocks use?

Basic Member
    My hardwood .223 sure does, I just verified with a magnet. The front pillar is either molded into the plastic magazine catch, or the catch is glued down. It does not come out, but at least the screw hits the pillar and not the plastic so it should not crack. There are actually 2 pillars in the rear. One in the stock and a small one molded into the plastic trigger guard. So when you clamp down they mesh together. I should also mention the trigger guard is *not* flat, looks more like a newer 10/12 one without the side tab. Really makes the extra $30 for the hardwood seem like a great deal.

That's good to know. Thanks!

Basic Member
    The wood for the stock is not laminate, so I guess they save some money there. It's obviously not the best quality wood and the finish is pretty drab, but gets the job done. I painted mine with FDE cold set epoxy paint, made a frankenmag by combining the stock mag with a cut down Magpul, and created, well, something different. I also drilled out the butt to remove ~1/2 lb of weight. But it will shoot .8" MOA on 50gr vmax reloads all day long...