Thread: What is up with savage arms?

Basic Member

What is up with savage arms?

3 guns in the last year with problems
    1- 6mmbr LRPV. I brought it new. It had a h.s precision stock on it. The stock was warped so bad that the barrel was rubbing the end of the forend on the left side.

2- stealth in 6.5 creedmore had the wrong barrel on it. Had to send it in and wait 10 weeks for it.

3- The savage/Cabela's model 10t in 6 creedmoor. The chamber is over,.125-.150 too short! Lol qc must be a joke at the factory!

Nearly every institution that you know or have known is now owned by a holding/investment company. Profits for the stake holders is everything. All of them will be milked dry in a short period of time. Hospitals, Hardware stores, department stores. All owned by investment firms. Sorry, what were we talking about?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    From now on when I get a new Savage it will only be for the action and trigger. Everything else is just junk.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Robinhood, how sad the truth is !!!!

Basic Member
    Crossing my fingers I got 2 good ones. I recently bought a couple new ones.

Basic Member
    1 year ago I bought my first savage since the mid 90's, now I have lots here goes.

1st one- 10T in 6.5 Creedmoor, I lightened the trigger and had to put 60 rounds through it to break it in, but it is a 3/4 inch group gun... sometimes less

2nd one- Used 116 7mm Mag. I am having a hard time getting it to group, It seems like my first shot is right on the bullseye and after that it makes a nice group of the next 3 shots at 1 1/2" low. I do know that the barrel touches the plastic stock. but the trigger is fantastic and smooth and somewhere under 3 lbs. I like it, but wish I could make it group with 162 eld-x, it seems slightly better with 160 Gamekings and even better with 139 BTSP Hornady bullets, but still 1 shot 1" high and the next two touching each other about an inch low. I might have to put a 26" Varmint barrel on it and keep it a 7mm Mag to get better performance

3rd one- 6.5 Creedmoor LRP.... absolute tack driver and I love this gun and everything about it. I have 500 rounds through it and just took it out past 780 for the first time.... all the way to 1000 and I hit a 12" gong 7 out of 10 shots after it took me 6 shots to walk it in.

4th one- 300 WSM Bear Hunter No matter what I do, the groups never really get better than 7/8" or worse than a little over an inch with the 212 ELD-X. I figure that is good enough, and I really like the trigger pull, and absolutely love the gun.

5th one- Savage Axis 25-06, it shoots decent (under an inch with factory ammo) with the trigger mod and overall I like it despite the crappy stock. I have 20 rounds through it so no big review.

6th one- Savage Axis 7mm 08, It has a really uncomfortable sharp kick with 140 gr factory hunting loads. It seems to group just over an inch even with the Timney trigger. Not really a fan of this gun, even with the trigger mad it was not acceptable so I got the timney. The timney is nice but didn't make me like the gun much more... Just something about it, with 2 1/2 boxes of ammo, the uncomfortable kick and crappy stock.. I just don't like it much.

7th one- Just got it 12FV 22-250, haven't shot it yet, but the stock looks decent for a cheap gun, and the trigger feels good.

Overall I got some decent shooters and some FANTASTIC! I expect every one of them to be under MOA, and so far only the 7mm Mag and 7mm 08 are disappointing , but still not poor shooters by any stretch.
    Last edited by J.Baker; 08-03-2017 at 09:57 AM. Reason: blank lines are free and make things much easier to read.

I got 3 stealths in 6 months, had a 110 FCP in 338 prior to that. 2 had some issues:
    1. 6.5 came with 22" barrel - Savage fixed in 4 weeks at their expense and even did not flute at my request - Very happy now, sub-MOA.
    2. 300WM scope rail would not stay tight - Savage fixed in 2-3 weeks - Sub-MOA no issues now - favorite rifle
    3. 338 Lapua - no issues, sub-MOA

Compare this to some other guns I have gotten recently:
    1. 6.5 RPR - handguard misaligned, lucikly could fix it myself.
    2. 9mm Canik - Return twice for FTF 8 out of 100 rounds, on 2nd time they replace with new pistol.

Small sample but roughly 1/2 the firearms I have gotten over last 3-4 years have had issues. If you read Snipers Hide about early RPR issues, it sounds like a horror story.

The whole ownership by holding companies and the massive sales spikes may have worked together to lower QC.

Ones I have now work really well, not looking to spin the quality wheel again anytime soon.

Thanks Cameron