Thread: Boyd's stock bedding?

Basic Member

Exclamation Boyd's stock bedding?

Ok I built a 22-243 off my axis action it's trued up by sss, BHW barrel, Boyd's Atone stock. I took it to a gunsmith wanted it pillar bedded and skim bedded. The pillars he uses are to big for the axis stock so he told me to just take it out and shoot and if it shoots good just shoot. Now I'm wondering if I should piller and skim bed it or just shoot it and see what it does? If it doesn't shoot he said he would glass bed it. What do you guys think? Just find some pillars myself and bed it myself with jbweld? What should I use for pillars?

http://www.v3tactical.com/front-moun...r-savage-axis/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

On my Axis I used a standard 1" metal spacer for the rear pillar and a .5" metal spacer for the front. It took a little work to get each pillar filed down perfectly, and a few marks and nicks on the outside so the Epoxy will hold.
    I used the Prairie hunter stock though... not sure how the ATONE is setup in regards to action screw length. I would think they would be the same. The Pillaring job is much, MUCH easier then trying to do a glass bed on the Axis... It's a real PITA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK3g81i6-so&t=1329s

Team Savage
    I used lamp rod on mine

I don't usually bed the whole action, just from the back of the recoil lug to the front of the magwell and then around the front of the trigger bracket. I used to use 1/8" brass pipe for pillars on my Boyds Axis stocks, but that was before they switched to that ridiculous plastic escutcheon/magazine latch assembly. That part should be replaced with the V3 Tactical aluminum part ktmracer linked to, and the premade pillars in that bundle would be easier than cutting my own. If you haven't already, also look into getting a steel trigger guard.

That being said, Axises will shoot without pillars or bedding. Just for laughs, I left my .300 Win Mag Axis in its Boyds stock without pillars or bedding and it shot just fine. In fact, I have something even more substantial in a Boyds Axis stock that is still in its factory configuration, and it shoots exceptionally well with no problems.