Thread: Savage 23AA rear sight

Basic Member

Savage 23AA rear sight

Picked up a nice 23AA and would like to put a adjustable peep sight on it. What am I looking for?

I think Savage made a specific peep sight that fit the two holes in the top of the receiver. These are fairly rare and pricey when you find them. Also, Lyman made a tang sight that required drilling two holes in the top of the stock - not an ideal setup, but I guess it worked OK. Keep an eye on ebay and gunbroker - all these come up from time to time.

Basic Member
    Skinner Peep Sights makes a really nice dovetail mounting sight. It is more of a modern peep style sight. http://www.skinnersights.com/barrel_mount_6.html

Mine has a Lyman 55RWS on it.

Basic Member
    Can you post a picture of it on the rifle?

Basic Member
    I have bought items form an on line store in NH. They have a selection of sights for you rifle and are very knowledgeable and helpful. The only time I had a issue with a sight was when I bought it some place else. The company name is Classic Firearms and Parts, try cfnparts.com. Also take a look at the response to my post on the Lyman 2A question. SAV22 sent a very nice photo of a Marbles S6S on a 23A. His reply may be of interest to you also. The man knows his stuff.

Basic Member
    Thanks I ve checked but every thing seems to be out of my budget I will keep checking Seems they are very expensive any place I find one.

Basic Member
    DresserDan, I think the Lyman 55RWS would require removing some wood to mount it, and you say the gun is nice, so I don't think that would be an option you want. I also checked an early 23AA I have and it is not drilled & tapped for that type sight so there could be added cost/work required. The S6S that I had a picture of in another post mounts to the wood (it's on a 1922 SPORTER, not a 23A), it uses the standard height front sight but requires putting holes in the wood (which were already in that gun) and I found mounting a sight on the wood may require a lot of shimming to get it to line up - stock surface dimensions were not held to tight tolerances.

Savage made two reasonably good peep sights for these that mounted on the top rear of the receiver - the No 10 & No 15. They are quite similar but have different mounting holes so you have to check your gun to see which it is drilled for. The early 23-AA's took the No 10 which used different size screws, a #10-36 in front and a #5-48 rear with about 1.125" spacing, the No 15 mounted with two #8 screws spaced at 0.875" and is for later guns. These sights were standard on the Model 19 NRA's but on a 23-A or 23-AA these sight require a taller front sight.

There were a number of aftermarket sights made to use factory holes, again you have to see if they are for the hole pattern in your rifle. Most, or all, of these also would require a taller front sight.

The mounting screws for the No 15 are #8-40 which are readily available - the screws for the No 5 & No 10 are not, I ended up making my own from wood screws, the set pictured above are the ones being made in these pictures, grind off the wood threads so they can be pushed through the die & held in a vise or drill chuck -

Do not try to use the slot to turn them through the die, the force required will ruin the slot -

Basic Member
    Thanks Those are great pictures and info. I do have one 23AA that has a Williams peep sight on it. But it is not made for the 23AA and it is push not a click type. Easy to push it too much and then have to start over again. Guess I will keep looking and maybe check out those old junk boxes at the gun shows now that I have an idea of what it should be like.

It's missing parts, but i can post a picture when i get it all together.

Basic Member
    I have tried my very best to identify the two receive peep sights in the last photo of SAV22 post. The top is labeled Redfield, the bottom Marbles/ GOSS . Would you be so kind as to post the model numbers for those sights. They look very interesting, the only sight that came close was a Marbles MOSS 440. It looks like the bottom sight only with an additional section that brings the mounting holes 90deg to the two top mounting holes of the rifle. No luck on the other Redfield. Your answer to my question on the Lyman 2A was spot on and your information in this post has been the best source I have found anywhere else on receiver sights for the 1922, 23's, and NRAs. I have been trying my best to make a complete list of all sights made for those models. Including ones that require modification to the rifle (Lyman #42, Redfield 80H). I hope to post it soon and have others add and comment. I truly hope for all of your input as this information exists only within the few people that care about such things. Thanks for your time and effort, it is appreciated very much.
    Last edited by CDSUSMC; 10-04-2017 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Needed to add more for clarity.