Thread: Having a match grade barrel melonited/nitrided

Basic Member

Having a match grade barrel melonited/nitrided

So it looks like I am about to build a new 308.
    I was wondering if anyone here has any opinions on having a new (hand lapped) match barrel nitrided/melontied. Everything I find online is AR15 specific, and very little about bolt action rifles. But at the same time, everything I find says that it will not effect accuracy (will not make it better or worse). And on the plus side, the barrel will last a ridiculously long time. Seems like the general consensus is, if you start with a crap barrel, have it nitrated, it is still a crap barrel, it will just last forever. On the other hand, start with a high quality match barrel, have it nitrited, it will still be match grade, just last forever.
    I have a 4140 barrel on my target rifle and after around 2k rounds, I am starting to get some throat erosion and the surface is got the heat cracking (using a bore scope to see it). So the idea of the nitride/melonite done to it to make it last longer is very appealing to me.

I have been researching this some lately, I'm curious also.

Basic Member
    On a 308 you'd be wasting your money in my opinion. Unless burning up an obscene amount of rounds you're going to see a at least 5,000 rounds barrel life with a 308 and up to 10,000 rounds depending on your accuracy requirements. Also stainless steel match barrels can not be nitrite treated from my research. Now I'm currently running a Cryo treated barrel from XCaliber on my 6.5x47, but I only have about 425rds on the barrel currently. I expect at least 3K, but will keep running it as long as it lasts for a good test as long as it meets my accuracy requirements to stay competitive. You may see some benefit on a hot 6mm or 6.5 something with a much lower round count, but I would just get a standard match grade barrel for a 308.

You can nitrite stainless steel, it's just not really worth it as it doesn't work nearly as well on SS as it does CM. You will get a higher surface hardness and more corrosion resistance just like with a CM barrel, but if CM gives you 100% improvement in those areas you'll only see maybe 20-40% of that with SS. As such the cost v benefit isn't nearly as good with SS as it is for CM so most don't bother.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    The obscene amount of rounds it would take to wear it out is a plus for me, as it would probably quite literally last me the rest of my life. I would probably end up using the 308 barrel as a test mule and see how it shoots/performs.
    The above mentioned barrel with the throat erosion is a 6.5x55 I built on a savage action. The barrel is a douglas premium.

Basic Member
    Well I went ahead and did it. I ordered a X-caliber 26 inch bull barrel. I opted for the cryo treatment and am having them nitride it. I suppose I will be the test mule.
    I will report back in a couple months when it gets here and I get a chance to shoot it.

Banned
    Certainly looking forward to it.

Cryro like in cold dipped in Nitrogen?

I figure I am putting at least 3,000 rounds a year through each barrel so that add up to a new one all to quickly.

What is the cost of each?

Basic Member
    http://www.x-caliber.net/savage-pre-fit

Build one yourself and find out.

I opted for 1-10 twist, 5R, 26 inch, 5/8-24 threaded muzzle, and savage bull contour.

I had a Shilen 28" 243 wssm nitrided. I was advised by the nitrider, don't remember the place now, to fire approximately fifty rounds the clean it completely. After nitriding I had velocity increases of 100-150fps with all loads except 105gr stayed the same. On a regular nitrided 243 Winchester, Criterion barrel I think, I had velocity decreases of about 50-100fps. That was explained as being from less friction in the barrel. Accuracy did not seem to change after nitriding. Both always shot great.

Banned
    Good to hear, thank you