Thread: Model 10 SBA 308W

Woosterdelt

Model 10 SBA 308W

Hopefully someone here can give me some guidance as I am not sure exactly what I purchased.

Dicks Sporting Goods had a Savage 10-SBA .308 Win on the shelf new. 18" heavy bbl, tactical bolt, threaded muzzle 5/8-24, optics weaver rail and a mounted Bushnell Banner 4-12x40 scope that is in the safe right now.

I really can can not find out anything about it. It looks like a 10 P-SR 18" on Buds Gunshop website

I am assuming this is a Dick's special run.

The model number on the box is 22829.

Really I wanted to find out about the type of rifling and the twist rate to figure out bullet weights for loads.

Thank you.

Should have a 1 in 10 twist. If it has 5R rifling (a few Savage .308's do) then it'll be 1 in 11.25" twist. 5R rifling has rounded 'corners' on the lands. I don't think I've seen a 5R rifling equipped Savage .308 with a barrel shorter than 24", so your rifle most likely has a 1-10 twist. Your rifle should be fine with 130-200gr bullets. The 1-11.25 twist (which the 5R rifled barrels have) is fine for 180gr and lighter bullets.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5R+Rifling.jpg  

altima98
    Quote Originally Posted by Woosterdelt View Post
    Hopefully someone here can give me some guidance as I am not sure exactly what I purchased.

Dicks Sporting Goods had a Savage 10-SBA .308 Win on the shelf new. 18" heavy bbl, tactical bolt, threaded muzzle 5/8-24, optics weaver rail and a mounted Bushnell Banner 4-12x40 scope that is in the safe right now.

I really can can not find out anything about it. It looks like a 10 P-SR 18" on Buds Gunshop website

I am assuming this is a Dick's special run.

The model number on the box is 22829.

Really I wanted to find out about the type of rifling and the twist rate to figure out bullet weights for loads.

Thank you.
    OP,

How do you like it so far?

I just picked one up in 6.5 creedmor, kind of bummed they gave you a 4-12x and my 6.5 had a 3-9x, oh well going to replace it anyways.

Didn't realize these came in 6.5. Does it also have an 18" barrel?

altima98
    Quote Originally Posted by X1rider View Post
    Didn't realize these came in 6.5. Does it also have an 18" barrel?
    Also sold in 223 as well, but no my 6.5 has a 22" barrel

Qwikdraw45
    Strange, I found this forum by searching for info on this model. Dick's has one in 6.5 CM, but the barrel looks like it's at least 24 inches, which is what got my attention. I figure for a round like the CM I want a bit more barrel length. I even called Savage. The lady there asked if I could get the UPC number. I called the store and they gave it to me, then called back Savage. She couldn't find any model listed for that UPC, which is disappointing, since I wanted the actual barrel length and weight of the rifle.

These are special/limited production runs - typically made up from excess parts inventory. Savage assembles them into guns, calls up a large distributor or big-box store and offers them a smoking deal on them. Said distributor/store buys them and offers them for sale at a reduced price (lower than any similarly cataloged model) and then we get a bunch of folks here asking WTF they are.

This is why often times different calibers will have different barrel lengths, or some might come with a tactical bolt handle while others come with a standard bolt handle. Savage is just cleaning house of excess inventory, nothing more - nothing less and stores like Cabela's and Dick's are usually at the top of the list when Savage starts making phone calls to move it out.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

altima98
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwikdraw45 View Post
    Strange, I found this forum by searching for info on this model. Dick's has one in 6.5 CM, but the barrel looks like it's at least 24 inches, which is what got my attention. I figure for a round like the CM I want a bit more barrel length. I even called Savage. The lady there asked if I could get the UPC number. I called the store and they gave it to me, then called back Savage. She couldn't find any model listed for that UPC, which is disappointing, since I wanted the actual barrel length and weight of the rifle.
    yes it’s at least 24” not 22”

Basic Member
    Anybody know the barrel length of the .223? How does the 18" 308 shoot? Lot of blast?

any feedback on the savage 10 SBA from dicks? Does it shoot good groups? My friend bought one and actually doesnt have time to shoot it so hes gonna sell it to me for a discount was just trying to see how accurate the rifle actually is, and ifs comparable to the savage 10 fcp-sr in accuracy

Shot mine last weekend. After sighting in and putting a few rounds down the barrel I was shooting 1/2 moa groups at 100 yds. I can’t speak to the 10 fcp-sr, but it is a very accurate rifle. I was shooting 168 gr federal match king.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In regards to your Savage 10 SBA. I purchased that exact rifle 3 weeks ago at Dick's Sporting Goods. The price was $499.00 with a $100.00 rebate being offered. After using some coupons and "Dick's Credits" I paid $375.00. You cannot find a better shooter for that price even if you paid $499.00!! Prior to going to the range I replaced the scope with a Nikon .308 BDC. Once zeroed at 100 yards, 8 rounds fired with 4 touching using Federal 168 grain SBT, I was able to consistently hit the 8 inch gong at 200 and 300 yards. I cannot say enough good things about this rifle. The Accu Trigger is great! Having spend most of my LE career on a Tactical Unit and utilizing a Remington 700 BDL (.308) I can honestly say that this Savage rifle is my favorite. I did contact Savage and after providing my rifle serial number I was advised that this rifle / scope package is an exclusive for Dick's Sporting Goods and Bud's Guns. Good Luck with your purchase, you have an outstanding shooter!

Jsut bought one.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwikdraw45 View Post

I just bought one (10SBA 6.5). it is 24" not sure on wieght though.

I just bought a Model 10SBA in 6.5 creedmoor with scope at Dicks as well.
    It was on sale for 499, an additional 25% off all firearms plus a 100 rebate and I paid 308 for it.
    Not sure what I’m gonna do with it yet.
    It has the threaded heavy barrel and accu-trigger. Thought about getting a new hardwood stock from Boyd’s, guess I’m old school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Savage sba223

Quote Originally Posted by Lorenzo View Post
    Anybody know the barrel length of the .223? How does the 18" 308 shoot? Lot of blast?
    I just bought one from Dick's and called Savage and got he spec's. 20 inch barrel. 1 in 9 twist. Button rifling.
    It was 499 and got 40 dollars off plus 25% off, then 100 dollar rebate. I don't think you can beat that deal.

Congrats.....Solid shooters
    Perpetual Optimism is a force Multiplier....

What bottom metal will work with this rifle to convert to magazine?

Quote Originally Posted by Jcar View Post
    What bottom metal will work with this rifle to convert to magazine?
    PTG, CDI and Accurate Mag make Savage bottom metals for AICS pattern magazines. Just need to specify "Short Action" and "4.4 action screw spacing", or 4.2" spacing if it's an older Savage SA. and 5.06" for long actions.

If your rifle has a bottom bolt release I only know of PTG that makes a AICS BDM system for it.... https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...aluminum-black

Quote Originally Posted by Zero333 View Post
    PTG, CDI and Accurate Mag make Savage bottom metals for AICS pattern magazines. Just need to specify "Short Action" and "4.4 action screw spacing", or 4.2" spacing if it's an older Savage SA. and 5.06" for long actions.

If your rifle has a bottom bolt release I only know of PTG that makes a AICS BDM system for it.... https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...aluminum-black

Hello, Everyone. I just found this forum. I also bought the model 10 SBA at Dick's. Seems like I got the same deal as everyone else. Has anyone been able to change the bottom metal. I have the model 10 SBA also, and the magazine seems to be part of the stock and not removable. Anyone know how to change that out?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by newsavageguy View Post
    Hello, Everyone. I just found this forum. I also bought the model 10 SBA at Dick's. Seems like I got the same deal as everyone else. Has anyone been able to change the bottom metal. I have the model 10 SBA also, and the magazine seems to be part of the stock and not removable. Anyone know how to change that out?

Thanks
    I don't own a Dicks 10 SBA so I have no idea what it would take to change it.

Hopefully someone will chime in.

Is it a hinged floor plate ???

Quote Originally Posted by Zero333 View Post
    I don't own a Dicks 10 SBA so I have no idea what it would take to change it.

Hopefully someone will chime in.

Is it a hinged floor plate ???
    Thanks for the reply. No, the floor is not hinged. To see the internal magazine the action and barrel have to be separated from the stock. I forgot to include that the rifle is in 6.5 creedmoor with a heavy barrel. When i bought it, Dick's had other savage rifles with detachable magazines, so I was a little reluctant to buy this one. I've been wanting to get into 6.5 and this seemed like a good deal. Changing to a detachable mag would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by newsavageguy View Post
    Thanks for the reply. No, the floor is not hinged. To see the internal magazine the action and barrel have to be separated from the stock. I forgot to include that the rifle is in 6.5 creedmoor with a heavy barrel. When i bought it, Dick's had other savage rifles with detachable magazines, so I was a little reluctant to buy this one. I've been wanting to get into 6.5 and this seemed like a good deal. Changing to a detachable mag would be great.
    In this case you need a new stock.

Boyds stocks are popular around here, but in my opinion they need to be glass bedded.

There are other options for stocks varying from very affordable to very expensive.

Start your own thread asking what stock folks would buy with the amount of money you'd prefer to spend. Before starting a thread do a little searching to get an idea of stock / chassis types and prices.

Members who have read this thread in the last 1 days: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.