Thread: Need pic of Savage Single shot in 223

Old Swede

Need pic of Savage Single shot in 223

I have a Savage Model 12 BVSS in .223 I would like to convert it to Single Shot.
    If you have one of the Heavy barreled Savage .223 single shot rifles (I believe it has the red or orange Accutrigger)
    I would appreciate it if you could take a picture or a link to a picture of the inside of the action where the .223 shells would sit.
    With this information I plan on making a insert block to replace the internal magazine to hold one shell only.
    Thanks

Might consider this unless you just want to tinker & piddle with it:

http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/LoadingRamps.html

Old Swede
    I purchased what was supposed to go on the top of my built in magazine to make it a single shot but there is no way to use it.
    Dollars wasted this is why I could use a picture or link of the inside of a single shot .223 or similar Savage Model 12 BVSS.
    I only load one shell at a time to shoot paper and find no need of a internal magazine.
    If I want to shoot more/faster I will use my Rock River .223.

BTW the accu-trigger works great being 1.5 lbs from the factory.

Team Savage
    If the magazine is attached to the bottom of the action, it's a stagger feed. Sharp Shooter Supply makes single shot follower/adaptors for both. All of my rigs are either single shot or have adaptors added to make them single shots.

(I purchased what was supposed to go on the top of my built in magazine to make it a single shot but there is no way to use it.)
    Built in magazine sounds like the older stagger feed?? The single shot follower for the stagger feed fits on top of the OEM mag spring. (I have one on mine) One of the single shot adaptors from SSS might work. Will take a little tweaking to fit.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Basic Member
    If you have a staggered feed rifle you can load it like a single shot. Center feed actions aren't that friendly.

Old Swede
    I believe it is a Center feed there is only enough room for one shell to be inserted in the top.
    The shell has to be put in the front half and slid back to be inserted.
    If I could push the shell straight down back almost against the back of the magazine it would not be so much of a PITA to use.
    I have to piddle with it every time I load a shell it is most aggravating.
    I plan on taking out the magazine from the stock and make a block that will insert with a U shaped groove
    so I can lay the shell in as if it were a single shot then reattach the action to the stock.
    I did look at a .338 LAUPA magnum in single shot and the U shaped groove in the bottom of the receiver is the same from front to back.
    I have not been able to find a Savage factory single shot in .223 to look at to have a good visual of how it should be made.

Team Savage
    If it's a "center feed", SSS has the adaptor plate that fills the hole in the bottom of the action. No mag needed. It has a groove that the round will lay in. You lay the round in the action and push the bolt closed. I tape mine in place then after I'am sure the bolt closes real easy and the round feeds well, I'll glue in with epoxy.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Old Swede
    Quote Originally Posted by Nor Cal Mikie View Post
    If it's a "center feed", SSS has the adaptor plate that fills the hole in the bottom of the action. No mag needed. It has a groove that the round will lay in. You lay the round in the action and push the bolt closed. I tape mine in place then after I'am sure the bolt closes real easy and the round feeds well, I'll glue in with epoxy.
    I have sent SSS an email asking them about the adaptor plate if all goes well I will order one from them. I only hope I am not wasting my money again :-(

Basic Member
    The single shot actions you are describing (4.27" screw, Model 12 xxx-S varmint trigger) the bottoms are just round milled shallow with a slight taper, wider at the trigger end, narrower at the breech. Nothing special.

Basic Member
    I have a model 12 LPV with a 5 shot detachable magazine but wanted to shoot 80 gr bullets. Contacted SSS they told me what I needed to make it a single shot. Fits just like the Savage magazine and works great! With bolt open, lay cartridge on sled, close bolt. Bingo!!!